Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why TESCO failed the USA

Why TESCO failed the USA

Old Mar 28th 2019, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why TESCO failed the USA

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
That's the one that bugs me the most.
And that's if they can find it...
Old Mar 28th 2019, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
The unstaffed, (probably a manager and security guard though.) stores are inevitable though. 40 cameras watching every individual that walks in, picks up stuff, puts it back, decides to buy it.
Cheap sensors, cameras, intelligent algorithms, a touch of 'AI'. Observing every move. 10 million calculations/observations a second
Charge your card/phone automatically.

That's the experience I want.

Although I heard PA has banned those type of stores already? Luddites.
Amazon has two "Amazon Go" stores in downtown San Francisco. I like them, but predictably San Francisco is threatening to close them on the basis they discriminate against those that can't qualify for credit cards.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they will be forced to have one minimal wage employee on a single checkout.
Join the queue...
Cash will eventually disappear.
Panhandlers will have Square accounts.

Perhaps barter will resurge. (To which I don't object. Keeps the Man out.)
Old Mar 28th 2019, 7:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
Tesco, during that period and just after, made some horrific financial mistakes, some not so much mistakes as meant as well. Their legacy in the UK wasn't exactly ruined but they managed to shoot themselves in the foot. Likely the arrogance of being so dominant. They are only just turning the corner I think, in the past couple of years. It's all relative of course.
Right, so capital and management time wasn't available to properly support the expansion into the US market.

In reality there are a number of cases of food retailers trying to enter another market and ultimately failing - Carrefour trying the UK, Walmart trying Germany and the UK, Safeway trying the UK, Sainsbury's trying the US (Giant, DC area) are some that spring to mind.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 7:55 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
They've started that at Sam's?
I always thought they were a cut price Costco but Costco isn't doing that, at least where I am...so I could eliminate the need for the checkout person?
They've had it for a few years, I've got receipts on my phone from 2016 so I assume it's here to stay. You just have to show your phone on the way out just like you would the receipt, they scan it and are supposed to check to make sure you haven't nicked anything but they pretty much just wave me by all the time now.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:00 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

The majority of the time I use the self checkouts in our Wegman's unless I know I have more than the item limit, which is rare. I do usually get "a have a nice day" type interaction as I leave, or a compliment on that day's qwertee shirt from one of the minders, but I don't object as it doesn't add significantly, if at all, to my shopping time. Mid to late August can be a bad time to use the self checkouts for us as that is when we get the influx of freshman college students who have no idea how to buy groceries on their own! Manned checkouts are for the big shop at Christmas or if I am helping cater an event and have a large quantity of stuff, even then I try to use one with a high school student that I know through on of my sons as at least that way any social interaction is slightly more meaningful.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Qwertee
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish grocery stores here would embrace technology a bit more, I would love to have the ability to scan each items while shopping and then pay with a credit or debit at the end and bypass cashiers.

The local store we frequent the most due to location doesn't even use self check out, and lucky if they have more then 1-2 lines open at any given time.

And then the stores with self check out tend to limit to 15 items or less.

Still do need cashiers though for those times there is no money on debit card and I have to use cash, so not ready for 100% cashless.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's an evolution.
But I think we'll need have guaranteed minimum income or whatever it's called, to get there..

Maybe Thanos was right.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
The majority of the time I use the self checkouts in our Wegman's unless I know I have more than the item limit, which is rare......
But do they enforce the item limit? ….. BJ's has two types of self scan - one of which uses a handheld scanner, like a small hairdryer, and it is much more convenient than taking everything out of the trolley and passing it over the scanner and onto the conveyor belt; as I shop I just place things in the trolley with the bar code up/ showing. …. It says "up to 10 items", but I have used it for as many as 20 items with no issues at all.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 28th 2019 at 8:36 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, I've never noticed self checkouts to have a limit. Only the manned personed ones.
It does seem to be a suggestion...
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:35 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But do they enforce the item limit? ….. BJ's has two types of self scan - one of which uses a handheld scanner, like a small hairdryer, and it is much more convenient that taking everything out of the trolley and passing it over the scanner and onto the conveyor belt, and I just place things in the trolley with the bar code up/ showing. …. It says "up to 10 items", but I have used it for as many as 20 items with no issues at all.
No they don't enforce the limit, but as I get extremely frustrated by people that take a full trolley through it I try not to inflict that behaviour on others. I do wish the screen would tell you how many items you have scanned so that those who can't estimate the number of items they have might get the idea that they have overdone it! I am sure you are a fast and efficient scanner and packer and your 20 items take less time to process than the average person's 10.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq
No they don't enforce the limit, but as I get extremely frustrated by people that take a full trolley through it I try not to inflict that behaviour on others. I do wish the screen would tell you how many items you have scanned so that those who can't estimate the number of items they have might get the idea that they have overdone it! I am sure you are a fast and efficient scanner and packer and your 20 items take less time to process than the average person's 10.
It's almost always quiet when I am in BJ's - I usually have a choice of self scan locations and no queue, so how long I take really isn't an issue, but yes, I am the master of the quick scan - Kroger, BJ's, Lowes, anywhere and everywhere. I discovered long ago that it is quicker to swipe/insert my credit card before pressing the "pay now" button on the screen - as often as not the card reader has already processed my payment when the voice tells me to swipe/insert my credit card!
Old Mar 30th 2019, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So explain Dollar General, Walgreens, and 7 Eleven, among others, that have limited stock and high prices.
With Walgreens it is the convenience factor of parking right next to the door, and since the store is small there isn't much walking required, plus no big lines at counter. Walgreens also is primarily a place people go for their medications .
Old Mar 30th 2019, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
With Walgreens it is the convenience factor of parking right next to the door, and since the store is small there isn't much walking required, plus no big lines at counter. Walgreens also is primarily a place people go for their medications.
So basically the same retail "concept" as F&E, except without the pharmaceuticals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.