Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why shouldn't I pull the plug?

Wikiposts

Why shouldn't I pull the plug?

Old May 28th 2010, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why shouldn't I pull the plug?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh you Pretty Things.

Stop itYou'll have me Dancing in the Street
Old May 28th 2010, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Stop itYou'll have me Dancing in the Street
Put on your red shoes and dance the blues...
Old May 28th 2010, 10:51 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

With your little China girl.
Old May 29th 2010, 2:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
With your little China girl.

You'll all Absoloute Beginners
Old May 29th 2010, 6:24 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that red shoes showed the dandruff!
Old May 29th 2010, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Well, you started it with GFCI, so you're on shaky ground criticising my RCD (Residual Current Device).

Most houses in the UK that don't have shitty wiring do have them - the reason you haven't seen them is that they're typically located in the main Consumer Unit (fuse box to you) either as standalone RCDs or as RCBOs (Residual Current Breaker with Overload - an RCD combined with an MCB - Miniature Circuit Breaker).

In contrast, in the US they're typically incorporated into the socket, because the electricity supply is shit and the frequent wild fluctuations cause too many false trips if they're in the CU.

One good reason to pull out the plugs, here, is the prevalence of unswitched sockets. Or outlets, as they call them.
You are inadvertently demonstrating the far better terminology in use here in the US. Terminology that conveys actual usage is always a good thing. GFCI - "Interrupts the Circuit when there is a Ground Fault" vs ... RCD ... no obvious interpretation. And 'Fuse Box' (or 'Breaker Box') - "box where the fuses are" vs 'Consumer Unit' ... ?. Not to mention 'Outlets' - "where electricity comes out of" ....

And if the darned thing does trip (US or UK), I'd rather reset it at the outlet (where presumably I'm standing when the event occurs) rather than at the breaker box.

I think the explanation for a lot of the differences is the voltage level. The UK uses 240 Volts for residential delivery, compared to US which uses 120 Volts. Higher Voltage is more dangerous and thus has to be more carefully handled - hence, more protection on plugs, restrictions on light switches, etc. If you inadvertently touch a 120V wire, you'll get a tickle compared to touching a 240v wire. Conversely, a US appliance that has only 120 Volts to play with has to draw roughly double the current to achieve the same power (P=VI), so the wiring is carrying more current, and I think this explains why lights are more likely to dim when another appliance is turned on - there is a momentary dip in the current flowing to the lights.

Overall, the major trade-off is between efficiency and safety. For technical reasons it is cheaper to distribute power at higher voltages (fewer losses, and the lower current requirements save on copper costs) but the higher voltage presents bigger safety issues.
Old May 29th 2010, 10:10 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
You are inadvertently demonstrating the far better terminology in use here in the US. Terminology that conveys actual usage is always a good thing. GFCI - "Interrupts the Circuit when there is a Ground Fault" vs ... RCD ... no obvious interpretation. And 'Fuse Box' (or 'Breaker Box') - "box where the fuses are" vs 'Consumer Unit' ... ?. Not to mention 'Outlets' - "where electricity comes out of" ....
Or, perhaps, you've gone native.

I think the explanation for a lot of the differences is the voltage level. The UK uses 240 Volts for residential delivery, compared to US which uses 120 Volts. Higher Voltage is more dangerous and thus has to be more carefully handled - hence, more protection on plugs, restrictions on light switches, etc. If you inadvertently touch a 120V wire, you'll get a tickle compared to touching a 240v wire. Conversely, a US appliance that has only 120 Volts to play with has to draw roughly double the current to achieve the same power (P=VI), so the wiring is carrying more current, and I think this explains why lights are more likely to dim when another appliance is turned on - there is a momentary dip in the current flowing to the lights.

Overall, the major trade-off is between efficiency and safety. For technical reasons it is cheaper to distribute power at higher voltages (fewer losses, and the lower current requirements save on copper costs) but the higher voltage presents bigger safety issues.
No. It's the current that kills you, not the potential difference. So US supplies are actually more dangerous, as well as being shit.
Old May 29th 2010, 11:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And if the darned thing does trip (US or UK), I'd rather reset it at the outlet (where presumably I'm standing when the event occurs) rather than at the breaker box.
Still have to go to the fuse box when it trips in the US though, that trips far more often than the fuse in the plug socket....and it trips all the bloody time at my place, okay that's not saying much as the landlord is crap, but even in our old place it tripped more than a drunken monkey.

Oh, and current is what kills you, you can survive 10K volts with a bit of a stutter, but up the ampage and your toast.
Old May 29th 2010, 12:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Still have to go to the fuse box when it trips in the US though, that trips far more often than the fuse in the plug socket....and it trips all the bloody time at my place,
Doesn't that mean that people are putting too much load on the breaker? IE too many things plugged in and running on each circuit?
Old May 29th 2010, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse

No. It's the current that kills you, not the potential difference. So US supplies are actually more dangerous, as well as being shit.
Originally Posted by Bob
Oh, and current is what kills you, you can survive 10K volts with a bit of a stutter, but up the ampage and your toast.
Technically, yes, it's the current that kills you. But it is Voltage that 'delivers' the current - you don't get to 'up the ampage' other than by increasing the Voltage (or reducing resistance). So - given identical conditions - a human being standing on a moderately conductive surface - touching a 240 Volt wire vs touching a 120 Volt wire will deliver double the current to the body, no?
Old May 29th 2010, 3:10 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I sometimes bypass the plug pulling and just tug the cable.
Now that is silly. You do that enough times and eventually you'll expose the conductors, then maybe you'll just get a surprise that makes you dance a little, or maybe they'll short and burn the house down.
Old May 29th 2010, 3:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Doesn't that mean that people are putting too much load on the breaker? IE too many things plugged in and running on each circuit?
It should, but you don't have to put much to blow it though....
Old May 30th 2010, 12:46 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Technically, yes, it's the current that kills you. But it is Voltage that 'delivers' the current - you don't get to 'up the ampage' other than by increasing the Voltage (or reducing resistance). So - given identical conditions - a human being standing on a moderately conductive surface - touching a 240 Volt wire vs touching a 120 Volt wire will deliver double the current to the body, no?
You'd think so, but in practice it doesn't matter. 110 and 240 are both considered "low voltage" and either is capable of overcoming skin resistance at the point of contact and delivering more than the "let go" current (at which point you can't let go) and the lethal current (which, depending on the path it takes, can be more or less than let go).

IIRC, for low voltage stuff the PD doesn't really come into play, from a safety point of view, until you get down to around 30V.
Old May 30th 2010, 1:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Now that is silly. You do that enough times and eventually you'll expose the conductors, then maybe you'll just get a surprise that makes you dance a little, or maybe they'll short and burn the house down.
It doesn't happen very often because we leave everything plugged in unless it's something that's put away after it's been used.

If we're going away we unplug the computers.
Old May 30th 2010, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Not if it means a layman, who knows a little bit about electricity thinks that because the acronym makes sense to them they are ok to start playing with it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.