Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do you use expat forums?

Why do you use expat forums?

Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:29 am
Just Joined

beatle2102 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you use expat forums?

Originally Posted by kwilson
To all the expats out there - why do you use expats forums, and why this one in particular?
The (very) few times I've posted, it's mostly been for info about US citizenship. There are a couple of immigration layers here who are AMAZINGLY helpful, and mostly everyone else here has already been through the process and can answer general questions that I'd feel stupid asking anywhere else.

But for general reading, there's something cathartic about reading the rants from other expats. Americans generally don't appreciate hearing foreigners complaining about the US (and for good reason!), but when something is annoying you, it's nice to know that you're not alone. And with few exceptions, most of the people on this board are open and accepting of complaints about cultural differences without resorting to 'well you just need to move to such-and-such location where I live because it is so much more superior and will make you endlessly happy' or 'How dare you! America is the free-est country EVAR! Why don't you leave if you hate it so much?'

I'm an Aussie expat living in the US, but nothing I've found quite compares to this forum in either quality or quantity of posts.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:01 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

because it was the only site I could find!
that said It is good to be here, I enjoy the banter, I have learnt that some people I saw on posts and thought you arse! are real sweeties and that we are all opinionated and I really miss that in the US, a good old disussion that why I come here.
also I am currently carless and jobless so this is my only contact in the big wide world, all day for a year has been my 4 year old twins and believe me they are entertaining, but dare I put on the Now Show or News Quiz for a bit of company and they straight in there changing it to cbeebies!!!
I have a lovely neighbour but she is very doom and gloom, however has a good sense of humour which is why I toterate her!
so in the evening I sit down a talk to adults and listen to the radio. at the mo, "old harry's game" radio 7 BBC.
but BEP isn't my first port of call in the evening, I visit garden web forums first as I am more interested in my garden and my chidren love it.
Only problem with garden web is it is a crap forum! no karma, no who quoted me, no posts I have subscribed to, but otherwise my favorite place
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:03 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

shit hit subscribe before finishing!!!! garden forum is my favourate place to chill no presure but I need to be challenged and thats why I come here.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:11 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kwilson
To all the expats out there - why do you use expats forums, and why this one in particular?
Mainly to hear and share experiences with other British people living Here in the USA. I feel i can come here and interact with people in similar situations like mine

I really love and appreciate this site. Not enough to donate thought
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Mainly to hear and share experiences with other British people living Here in the USA. I feel i can come here and interact with people in similar situations like mine

I really love and appreciate this site. Not enough to donate thought

Cheapskate!!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:09 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Cheapskate!!

TART !
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17

TART !

That's me!!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:51 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Beats talking to my husband
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

You want information, come to those who have done it, seen it and got the numerous tee shirts.
Learn from their mistakes and dont make the same ones.
Experience counts in any question plus you meet such fascinating, weird, strange, obnoxious, lovely, kind and knowledgably individuals who will help you, sometimes even bringing a smile to your face in the process.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Forums? I only know this one and can't remember how I got here! I enjoy seeing people moan about the same things and being able to indulge my smutty sense of humour without offending people. I've been in the US a long time and drinking a glass of wine and reading here is as close as I get to a pub!
I agree that first impressions aren't always accurate on here. Most of the time I find some common ground with people even though I know there might be some areas we will never agree on.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:50 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
Forums? I only know this one and can't remember how I got here! I enjoy seeing people moan about the same things and being able to indulge my smutty sense of humour without offending people. I've been in the US a long time and drinking a glass of wine and reading here is as close as I get to a pub!
I agree that first impressions aren't always accurate on here. Most of the time I find some common ground with people even though I know there might be some areas we will never agree on.
I used to think that you were really timid and shy..........how wrong was I lol
Old Jul 18th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I used to think that you were really timid and shy..........how wrong was I lol

Once at a Christmas Party for the OH's work I was keeping quiet to stay out of trouble. A few days later I was described as "really sweet" by my OH's boss. We about pissed ourselves laughing at that.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This could be one reason
Attached Thumbnails Why do you use expat forums?-comp-friends.jpg  
Old Jul 18th 2009, 6:23 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

This could be one reason
yes,
Old Jul 18th 2009, 6:39 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

This could be one reason
Good avatar for someone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.