Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Wikiposts

Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Old Aug 2nd 2017, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Originally Posted by albanks2542
Missed out a word. But do you think being sentenced to 2 years in jail for killing someone as people have been wrecks your life?. I hardly think it does it. The english justice system is a joke. In america they do it right lock up you and throw away the key.
And that is obviously working well for us.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 4:50 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albanks2542
Did you see the guy get 20 years for raping his cellmate for weeks in Missouri they were two nonces sharing a cell and the rapist was a little white dude.
I once worked with a little white dude who had done time. He told me that the only way to survive was to act mean and even though you might be shitless with fear never show it, never let anyone fek with you and be prepared to fight back at all times even against bigger meaner dudes. In the end he joined a group of white supremacists who were also doing time, not because he turned racist but because prisoners are better off and safer keeping in groups of their own ethnicities.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you watch this video and then perhaps the answer to some of the questions might be answered.
This is actual police body cam footage with audio

Tense standoff turns into a gunfight that left gunman dead | Daily Mail Online

Another link just in case the other doesnt work

So who wants to be a cop in the US?????? Been there done that in the UK.
Also remember some of these cops are paid less than a UK cop.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 2:23 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I didn't understand this comment
Barney wasn't too good with his revolver so (as I recall), when on patrol he was only allowed to have 1 cartridge, and often managed to fire it off while struggling to clear the holster.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I suggest you watch this video and then perhaps the answer to some of the questions might be answered.
This is actual police body cam footage with audio. ....
He fired at the police, and unsurprisingly ended up dead. It shows some restraint on the part of the police that the deceased fired at least (I didn't watch the video) a couple of shots before the police returned fire. I believe the police would have been full justified in firing first once the deceased waved a gun.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 8:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Barney wasn't too good with his revolver so (as I recall), when on patrol he was only allowed to have 1 cartridge, and often managed to fire it off while struggling to clear the holster.
IIRC, in later episodes Andy made sure Barney kept the bullet in his shirt pocket so that his gun wasn't ever loaded either coming out of or going back into his holster!

Ian
Old Aug 6th 2017, 9:57 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
IIRC, in later episodes Andy made sure Barney kept the bullet in his shirt pocket so that his gun wasn't ever loaded either coming out of or going back into his holster!Ian
And Andy never carried his gun, and Mayberry RFD was safe as safe can be.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

'Why do the police shoot people dead ?'
A) because they can, with impunity.
B) because that's how they're trained (never back down, always take absolute control of every situation immediately, always react with maximum aggression - it's not a mystery, it's in the manual)
C) police policy is a reflection and expression of prevailing attitudes in the US, i.e. fetishization of 'the rights of the individual', hyper- materialism, ruthless capitalism, winner takes all, oppresion is ok, any level of violence is ok (including killing unarmed children) so long as I'm not the victim etc etc
I love the US but there is a terrible failing in this regard & imho it goes to the heart of the country & what it stands for.
D) ALSO - in their defence, there are very violent parts of the country, being a cop is a fairly dangerous job (not as dangerous as their own self glorification would like to claim though actually) & the police are essentially the crack troops maintaining middle class America's safety & delusions.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Sad to say, I suspect it's because she approached the police car... which, in the US, isn't generally something you ever do! She may have expected them to react as might happen in the UK... welcoming help.

They hadn't yet gotten out of their car... so I guess there was either no need or no protocol for that. The dash cam video faces front, so when something happens at the side of the vehicle it's not recorded.

This is a tragedy, to be sure - but it seems like a perfect storm of ignorance and protocol on both sides.

Ian
It's not 'a tragedy' though. That is a deflection & a rationalisation.
When it is just one of several hundred 'tragedies' every year - imho this redefines it as something else. If I have an employee who repeatedly has dangerous accidents then I have to change their pattern of behaviour. If I don't then I'm condoning it.
In effect, US society approves of police violence.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why was she wandering around outside? .... I am not saying that means she deserves to be shot, but for all the reasons given above, people need to be very careful when there are police around who have been called to an "incident".

Bumble around, with your hands out of sight, move too quickly, etc, and generally not do as instructed by the police "managing the incident", puts you at risk of being shot. Again, I am not saying that is "right", "fair", or even "acceptable", but if you call the police, or are at a location where the police are called, you need to "behave appropriately", meaning keep your hands in sight, don't move quickly, move away from whoever is most likely to get shot at by the police, at night stay in, or move to, a well lit area/ turn on the lights, and do as you're told by the police.
In other words, live in absolute terror of the police & avoid them as much as possible.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Just be thankful the local law enforcement does not drive around in tanks like in 1967.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-1967-protests