Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do Americans like gingers?

Why do Americans like gingers?

Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:16 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Americans like gingers?

French wines exported are much higher in alcohol content than those for domestic consumption. Don't like many French wines over here, they're much better (those bought direct from vineyards so they don't go through the co-op system there) over the Pond. Alcohol content there is usually 10.5-11%, not the 13.5% we see here, which adversely affects the taste.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:26 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Roland, where did you live in France? I lived in Paris, then Seine-et-Marne (chez Mickey ) then the Aveyron followed finally by the Lot-et-Garonne.

The swill that you can get in plastic bottles for 2FF for 5 litres is pretty much that - swill. Utter shite it was. (Sorry about the FF - I was there before they adopted the Euro.)

Agree about Chenin Blanc, a wonderful grape! Shame it got driven out of the cocktail wine market by White Zinfandel and Chardonnay (how do they get the cat to sit on the bottle anyway? ).

If you want a crisp, clean white with overtones of grapefruit and lychee, then get a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Nobilo do a good one. But please stay away from the Two Buck Chuck at Trader Joe's... see my 2nd paragraph.

And for those who like the fizzy stuff, a good substitute for 'real' champers is a nice sparkling Saumur.

Yes, I'm a bit of a wine snob. Give me a nice Argentinian Malbec (the only remaining "real" French grape) over an Aussie or US Merlot any day!
I worked in Paris at the American University of four years, but my parents still live in the Deux Sevres, near Poitiers. My dad bottles his own Bordeux he buys in enormous plastic barrels. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes it flushes out your lower intestines!

how do they get the cat to sit on the bottle anyway?
Brilliant!

There's a type of Aussie wine called Cat's Piss on a Gooseberry Bush which was pretty nice.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:26 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

To tie in with another post the other day about alcohol. In NJ apparently restaurants do not need a liquor license if they only serve NJ wines.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:30 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
To tie in with another post the other day about alcohol. In NJ apparently restaurants do not need a liquor license if they only serve NJ wines.
NJ restaurant owner: Bring me fifteen cats, two gallons of petrol and a empty bathtub, STAT!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
NJ restaurant owner: Bring me fifteen cats, two gallons of petrol and a empty bathtub, STAT!
Just wondering why you haven't joined in the discussion re. the Presidential candidates.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:37 am
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just wondering why you haven't joined in the discussion re. the Presidential candidates.
I lost that one! It disappeared.

I was looking forward to continuing that.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I lost that one! It disappeared.

I was looking forward to continuing that.
I thought that may be the case. It's been moved into TIO...just click on the title in the thread index and you will be magically transported into another world. Or visit the Take It Outside forum...you will see it in the forum's index. FYI any controversial subject ie politics should be posted in TIO.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:51 am
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Maz
French wines exported are much higher in alcohol content than those for domestic consumption. Don't like many French wines over here, they're much better (those bought direct from vineyards so they don't go through the co-op system there) over the Pond. Alcohol content there is usually 10.5-11%, not the 13.5% we see here, which adversely affects the taste.
So does the anti-freeze they add in the Alsace Lorraine.

Whole new meaning to the term "blind drunk."
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:26 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

So does the anti-freeze they add in the Alsace Lorraine.

Whole new meaning to the term "blind drunk."
Can't stand wines from that region myself.

I used to live in the Buzet region and right close to Bordeaux and Cahors. Love clarets, but Buzet wines I can do without. Difficult to find a nice Cahors that's not too high in tannin. And when you find one that's high in tannin but still palatable (difficult!) then buy cases of the stuff!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like chardonnay anyway - normally it's oaked to f**k. But NJ doesn't strike me as a promising wine region. After all, it's the home of the Toxic Avenger. Wifey raved about the Long Island wine, though. Mind you, she drinks tabasco straight from the bottle.

Give me a nice Semillion or Chinon Blanc. Mmmm. A few green olives. Some macademia nuts. Heaven.
Yay another oak hater. California Chardonnay - if I wanted to chew on bark, I'd go out in my yard and chew on a tree!

But unoaked chardonnay, like Pouille Fouisse.... now that I like.

I got a strange French wine called Columbelle - Ugni something grape - for $5.99, and it was lovely.

Oh and lol - you do know what WASP is right - White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. oh - and probably somewhat preppy.

Last edited by Tracym; Mar 27th 2007 at 12:52 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought that may be the case. It's been moved into TIO...just click on the title in the thread index and you will be magically transported into another world. Or visit the Take It Outside forum...you will see it in the forum's index. FYI any controversial subject ie politics should be posted in TIO.
I'm amazed my "favorite" thread hasn't landed there yet. We have been very good, haven't we?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

It isn't heated

There is a really great little S.A. wine that you can find almost anywhere in the States called : Goats do Roam.

Thus was born, in 1999, what was for the South African wine scene an innovative blend using Rhône varieties such as shiraz, cinsaut, carignan and mourvèdre with a dash of local pinotage, which Back had sourced from various vineyards (his own and others) around Paarl and Malmesbury. But, despite the humour of the packaging, the content of the bottle impressed with its quality, combining rich complexity with great drinkability.
S.A. wines are absolutely fantastic
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Despite the extra 5p good wine is still cheaper in the UK, I've found it difficult to find a reasonable wine for less than about $15 (although I have one or two now that I drink).
trader joe's is the place, but none of that crap 2 buck chuck....their house red is a good frog wine for $4.

Fox Brooks do a great collection of wines for $6.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:20 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Bob
trader joe's is the place, but none of that crap 2 buck chuck....their house red is a good frog wine for $4.

Fox Brooks do a great collection of wines for $6.
My wife and I currently drink FAR TOO MUCH wine. If it's only $4 - I see this still being a problem!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:48 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Yay another oak hater. California Chardonnay - if I wanted to chew on bark, I'd go out in my yard and chew on a tree!

But unoaked chardonnay, like Pouille Fouisse.... now that I like.

I got a strange French wine called Columbelle - Ugni something grape - for $5.99, and it was lovely.

Oh and lol - you do know what WASP is right - White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. oh - and probably somewhat preppy.
I forgot about Pouilly Fouisse - love that stuff but generally don't get it too often as I haven't found one for less than about $20.

I love the way this thread is almost entirely a discussion of wine given the title.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.