Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Originally Posted by Leslie66
When looking at crime rates by state I aways go when I get to Washington DC.

WTF is going on there?!?!? Jaysus.
Scares the crap out of you, doesn't it. So many guns brought in from surrounding states, so much poverty and other issues. Pretty much the entire city is an inner city situation. You don't have to stray far to get in trouble.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:50 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Scares the crap out of you, doesn't it. So many guns brought in from surrounding states, so much poverty and other issues. Pretty much the entire city is an inner city situation. You don't have to stray far to get in trouble.
They have the same crime rates as South Africa!

Disclaimer: I have no idea if that's true. I just made it up right now but it sounds like something that could be true.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I find it interesting that VT and NH both states with rural populations AND a good share of "rednecks" are on the low end of the graph, there are a fair few gunowners there........
Ahem. Democrat governed states. You will notice from the list of the most dangerous states, most are Republican governed states. Just goes to show you can't trust a Republican with a gun. I cite Dick Cheney as proof.
Attached Thumbnails Why Americans don't like Obamacare-194px-united_states_governors_map.svg.png  
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
When looking at crime rates by state I aways go when I get to Washington DC.

WTF is going on there?!?!? Jaysus.
It's all those easy states neighbouring ain't it...it's not like you have border patrols on each state doing a check...
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:58 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Just goes to show you can't trust a Republican with a gun. I cite Dick Cheney as proof.
Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw. It said "I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy".
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:00 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Might be totally wrong here, but it strikes me that most of the gunowners there own hunting fireams (rifles and shotguns) rather than handguns and that the vast majority of gun related crime comes from handguns rather than "long" guns.
More than likely, at least in the rural areas. I grew up with them and learned to shoot, but my Dad only had rifles, no hand guns.

The two counties that I lived in, in NH and VT are the poorest in those respective states.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As for strict interpretation of the Constitution, which is where the abuse of The right to bear arms comes from in terms of every yahoo having the right to carry (except that it clearly refers to militias) Thomas Jefferson had this to say about the Constitution. It is also relevant in an era when some in the political arena would roll back the gains of many by repealing certain amendments to suit their strict interpretation attitude.

Some men look at constitutions with sanctimonious reverence, and deem them like the arc of the covenant, too sacred to be touched; who ascribe to the men of the preceding age a wisdom more than human, and suppose what they did to be beyond amendment. Let us follow no such examples, nor weakly believe that one generation is not as capable as another of taking care of itself, and of ordering its own affairs. Each generation is as independent as the one preceding, as that was of all which had gone before.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:08 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem. Democrat governed states. You will notice from the list of the most dangerous states, most are Republican governed states. Just goes to show you can't trust a Republican with a gun. I cite Dick Cheney as proof.
This was the only statewide newspaper in NH when I was growing up. Liberal it was NOT!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_Union_Leader

VT has the Burlington Free Press as it's most widely circulated paper, it is based in a city which is the most affluent in the state.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:09 pm

And here is proof that easier access to guns does not reduce crime. Nor serve as a deterrent.
There are loads of studies, each demonstrating one side or another of the argument. This is the definitive meta-study, from the National Academies.

The committee found that answers to some of the most pressing questions cannot be addressed with existing data and research methods, however well designed. For example, despite a large body of research, the committee found no credible evidence that the passage of right-to-carry laws decreases or increases violent crime, and there is almost no empirical evidence that the more than 80 prevention programs focused on gun-related violence have had any effect on children’s behavior, knowledge, attitudes, or beliefs about firearms. The committee found that the data available on these questions are too weak to support unambiguous conclusions or strong policy statements.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chartreuse
There are loads of studies, each demonstrating one side or another of the argument. This is the definitive meta-study, from the National Academies.
Study, shmuddy. Not everything needs to be studied by someone to form a reasonable conclusion. And too many studies are funded by parties with a vested interest. Statistics show that states with fewer gun controls, have higher murder rates and violent crime rates than states with stricter controls. Enough proof for me. One State could be an aberration, but not that sheer number of them.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:16 pm

Study, shmuddy. Not everything needs to be studied by someone to form a reasonable conclusion. And too many studies are funded by parties with a vested interest. Statistics show that states with fewer gun controls, have higher murder rates and violent crime rates than states with stricter controls. Enough proof for me. One State could be an aberration, but not that sheer number of them.
Isn't that precisely the "Don't complicate matters with facts" attitude that you accuse pro-firearm folks of having?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Isn't that precisely the "Don't complicate matters with facts" attitude that you accuse pro-firearm folks of having?
Studies are not always worth the paper they are printed on. Fact, those states have higher homicide rates, higher crime rates, higher rates of gun violence. If we want to go looking for other reasons, poverty, education, men with two inch dicks, women with excessive camel toe or a shortage of Thai massage parlors in order to justify the crime rate, go ahead. But the reality is that the guns are available and the gun related crime rates are what they are because guns are readily available. Finding excuses for a reality gets a bit ridiculous after a while. It's the guns don't kill people, people kill people argument all over again. For many, the gun is the motivator. Without it, they might never commit the crime.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:28 pm

For many, the gun is the motivator. Without it, they might never commit the crime.
Do what now?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do what now?
Maybe I should have said that the gun was their backbone to do the crime. Do you not think that if some yahoo had to stick up a liquor store or 7/11 without a gun that he might think twice? Not all, for sure, but some no doubt. Do you not think that it is possible that some of those warped individuals who wiped out their families might have found it less possible to do if they couldn't easily shoot them? Not something that can be quantified, but it stands to reason that it is possible. Much the same as some dudes get aggressive and irresponsible behind the wheel of a fast car, a gun can also be that penis extension for some. That extra misplaced courage.

I want to be sure that we understand ourselves here. My biggest bone of contention is with liberal carry laws. Reasonable gun ownership does not bother me so much. Liberal carry laws do. It ain't the wild west anymore. Do we need to repeat it?

Last edited by dakota44; Jan 16th 2011 at 8:50 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyway, it has been nice to debate such a divisive issue without hostility and name calling, although I do recall something about you being a crazy as bat shit cat lady.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.