Nick Clegg
44.44%
No-one - they were all as bad as each other
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Who won the debate? (Part 1)

Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:03 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who won the debate? (Part 1)

I can't believe no-one has begun a thread on the election debate the other night. So what does everyone think? Did Gordon come over as a right plonker (i.e., better than he usually does)? Was "Dave" like a deer in the headlights? Did Nick steal the show? Who's going to win the election?

It seems that Lib Dems could win 46% of the electoral vote and still not have a majority of seats. There's politics for you.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who won the debate? (Part 1)

I watched it and agree with the general opinion that Nick Clegg came across quite well, although I thought some of his comments were a bit childish and I don't believe his sums add up. I thought Dave Cameron did quite well too.

I thought the way Gordon Brown was sucking up to Nick Clegg was a very transparant attempt at pre-empting negotiations if there is a hung parliament. I am glad Nick Clegg rebuffed him a little.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:44 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like the majority of people I thought Nick Clegg shone. I do believe he has put the Lib Dems in the running as a serious contender for the first time. I shall watch the next couple of debates and see how the spin doctors have re-hatched the Tories and New Labour leaders so they don't come across in the same light.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:01 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Whether such debates are in Canada, the USA or the UK the results are almost identical. The party in power recounts what it believes are its successes and what it's going to do when they're re-elected. How come, with being in power, they haven't done it already.
The opposition parties recite their manifestos and all the wonderful things they're going to do without much/any idea of what it entails being in power. They throw financial numbers around and when/if they win they will probably tell the electorate that things are worse than they anticipated so it will take longer/never to get changes done.
"When the politicians complain that TV turns the proceedings into a circus, it should be made clear that the circus was already there. and that TV has merely demonstrated that not all the performers are well trained" (Edward R.Morrow)
Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Typical UK media.

They spent 24 hours or so building up Nick Clegg on his great ratings following the debate, and are now working on knocking him/Lib Dems down.

I have read a lot of coverage along the lines of "a vote for Lib Dems would be a vote for a hung parliament, and a hung parliament would be a terrible thing."