Who is my MP?

Old Mar 26th 2019, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

jenn32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who is my MP?

I was dragged out of the UK as a child and grew up here, so a dual citizen. I think there is a General Election soon to be held back home and would like to participate, as I anticipate returning there in a few years. Does anyone know how to find out which riding I'd be in? Where I was born, or where I lived before emigrating? Thanks
Old Mar 26th 2019, 2:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is my MP?

Originally Posted by jenn32
I was dragged out of the UK as a child and grew up here, so a dual citizen. I think there is a General Election soon to be held back home and would like to participate, as I anticipate returning there in a few years. Does anyone know how to find out which riding I'd be in? Where I was born, or where I lived before emigrating? Thanks
Have you lived away from the UK for over 15 years? If so you cannot vote.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 2:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

There are local elections coming up, no General Election announced yet though. But it would be your last postal address - https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-...-your-mp-help/

When did you leave the UK?
Old Mar 26th 2019, 2:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You can only register to vote for a maximum of 15 years after you left the UK, and I am not even sure if it is possible to create a de novo registration if you were a child when you left the UK.

Hypothetically you would need to know the address where you last lived, then work back from there to register on the electoral roll that covers that address.

BTW The only "ridings" I know of are in Yorkshire and they are not part of the system of constituencies, electoral districts, and voter registrations.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can only register to vote for a maximum of 15 years after you left the UK, and I am not even sure if it is possible to create a de novo registration if you were a child when you left the UK.

Hypothetically you would need to know the address where you last lived, then work back from there to register on the electoral roll that covers that address.

BTW The only "ridings" I know of are in Yorkshire and they are not part of the system of constituencies, electoral districts, and voter registrations.
Yes, I smiled at the Yorkshire-ism! But wouldn't they still have electorates up there and not ridings, for voting purposes?
Old Mar 26th 2019, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There are local elections coming up, no General Election announced yet though. But it would be your last postal address - https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-...-your-mp-help/

When did you leave the UK?
Unfortunately, it was more than 20 years ago. My last address was in Bramhall, part of Greater Manchester, but when I return in a few years I will living in Brighton, so I'll just have to establish residency there. Thank you for the link.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 3:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Originally Posted by Pulaski
…. BTW The only "ridings" I know of are in Yorkshire and they are not part of the system of constituencies, electoral districts, and voter registrations.
Yes, I smiled at the Yorkshire-ism! But wouldn't they still have electorates up there and not ridings, for voting purposes?
That was exactly my thought.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 3:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, it was more than 20 years ago. My last address was in Bramhall, part of Greater Manchester, but when I return in a few years I will living in Brighton, so I'll just have to establish residency there. Thank you for the link.
Small world. I lived in Bramhall for a couple of years.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 4:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Sadly, they even did away with the "ridings" in the local government reorganization many moons ago. It will always be the West Riding to me, but it is officially West Yorkshire these days.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 3:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Small world. I lived in Bramhall for a couple of years.
I lived in Bramhall for about 4 years and attended the Hillcrest School -- which sadly is no more.