Where are you from?

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:07 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where are you from?

Born in Irvine, Ayrshire (thank god was a temporary stop and I was to young to remember it .... what a dump!)

permenant residences after that (not counting the temp 6-9 month various places) :
Newbury (village just outside), until 11
Chichester, my teenage/early 20 years
Bognor Regis (there are some nice bits ) last 12 months in the UK

I have 2 passports: UK and Trinidad & Tobago.

Emigrated 4.5 years ago, moving to another bigger island round these parts next year.

Last edited by username 34; Aug 22nd 2008 at 3:09 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:10 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
The UK is very different when it comes to passports as most people now holiday abroad (due to proximity, weather, etc.), but it's by no means everyone. I have a friend whose parents have never been abroad and never want to (they can see it on TV) and enjoy UK holidays. They are intelligent, working and live on the outskirts of London.
Sure, there are exceptions. I should qualify that and say my peers, and inquisitive people I'd be interested in speaking with beyond chatting about the weather..afterall, I believe travel broadens the mind.

Conversely before a row starts about passports, as per Mr Johnson when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life. The smoke truely remains an international hub.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
Sure, there are exceptions. I should qualify that and say my peers, and inquisitive people I'd be interested in speaking with beyond chatting about the weather..afterall, I believe travel broadens the mind.

Conversely before a row starts about passports, as per Mr Johnson when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life. The smoke truely remains an international hub.
I think you asked a very good question - its a fact that the majority of Americans do not have passports and have never travelled outside the US - mainly because they have in their own country many of the things UK residents must travel abroad to get:
hot tropical beach resorts
great skiiing
amazing national parks and forests
diversity of national cultures and cuisines
Disneyworld!!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:20 pm
Curry Magnet

One Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant future

They don't have gravy granules or decent fish and chips so it's a black hole as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait to get back to the beauty and charm of Bracknell.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:23 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
I think you asked a very good question - its a fact that the majority of Americans do not have passports and have never travelled outside the US - mainly because they have in their own country many of the things UK residents must travel abroad to get:
great skiiing
Disneyworld!!
But US culture is largely homogenized from Haiwaii to Virginia by a mobile population...with some scenery changes at the extremes. Of course most is very flat and rural.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

great skiiing
Disneyworld!!
Probably have decent skiing in England when Global Climate Change really kicks in and the Gulf Stream gives up the ghost.
http://www.energybulletin.net/node/5998
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:24 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

But US culture is largely homogenized from Haiwaii to Virginia by a mobile population...with some scenery changes at the extremes. Of course most is very flat and rural.
And where in this country have you traveled to Kali?
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
Two of my children were born in QEII in Welwyn Garden City!
Me too, 1964, it was still new then! Rumor has it they are looking to close it!

- Tim
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by One Hung Lo
They don't have gravy granules or decent fish and chips so it's a black hole as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait to get back to the beauty and charm of Bracknell.
I was just on Cape Cod a month ago and there was some pretty decent fish and chips. Usually had to ask specially for the vinegar though.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
And where in this country have you traveled to Kali?
Probably not very far and the fact that he's American kind of makes this conversation null and void for him, I would think.....
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:29 pm
Curry Magnet

One Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by robin1234
I was just on Cape Cod a month ago and there was some pretty decent fish and chips. Usually had to ask specially for the vinegar though.
I would hope it was cod...or haddock. Round here they eat weird sh*t like Talapi or catfish. Even the fish fingers are made from Pollack (and those are the 'good' ones!).
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:32 pm

Culture means different things to different people .... when I go to the states its because not only can I shop fantastically but I get Americana culture - its not the Louvre (which bored me STUPID), but I like finding traditional diners to eat, eating and driving down South Beach Miami, watching a ball game .... when I get old and find I like architecture and old churches no doubt I'll be heading for vaca's back to Europe.

and lets not forget ... the majority of overseas visitors to the US do very nicely thankyou as its cheap to them, reverse scenario means that for people in the US going to Europe etc is hugely expensive. You may live nicely in the US on $70k per year but that wont enable you to have a balls out trip in Europe to the standard you can get in the US.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

great skiiing
Disneyworld!!
Also US citizens didn't used to need a passport to go to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean I believe. I would imagine the number of passports has gone up a lot in the last year or so now that is no longer the case.

If UK citizens never needed one to go to Europe, then there would be significantly less people with them
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Longy
Also US citizens didn't used to need a passport to go to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean I believe. I would imagine the number of passports has gone up a lot in the last year or so now that is no longer the case.

If UK citizens never needed one to go to Europe, then there would be significantly less people with them
true

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.