Where are you from?

Old Sep 14th 2008, 4:23 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are you from?

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
He also designed Temple Meads railroad station about ten miles from my home and the British rail system from London to Bristol, also the S S Great Britian built in Bristol.
Smiles
Old Sep 14th 2008, 5:53 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

He also designed Temple Meads railroad station about ten miles from my home and the British rail system from London to Bristol, also the S S Great Britian built in Bristol.
Things he is little-known for, #27

IK Brunel (known to his mates as "icky Brunel") is rarely credited with beginning the fashion of wearing stovepipes as a form of decorative headgear. This didn't really catch on, but an industrious gay Milliner in Horfield struck upon the notion of turning the shape into a striking new form of hat for men.

Thus was born the "stovepipe hat"

Sadly, it was too late for Mr Brunel, as years of being a maverick trend-setter had played merry hell with his stature. Due to the 50lbs of cast iron pipe he deftly balanced on his head, his height was diminished considerably.

As an interesting historical aside, probably the most famous wearer of one of IK Brunels few original stovepipes was a gentleman in the new world who liked to chop down cherry trees. As is often the case in history, were it not for the lack of air conditioning and headroom in the theater owned by a certain Mr Ford (no relation), the unfortunate gentleman did not benefit from iron's ability to deflect bullets.

Not a lot of people know that.
Attached Thumbnails Where are you from?-brunel.jpg  
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
I went to Brunel Uni too!
My wife worked at Brunel (System Engineering Department) and we've just had visitors who work there now.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Things he is little-known for, #27

IK Brunel (known to his mates as "icky Brunel") is rarely credited with beginning the fashion of wearing stovepipes as a form of decorative headgear. This didn't really catch on, but an industrious gay Milliner in Horfield struck upon the notion of turning the shape into a striking new form of hat for men.

Thus was born the "stovepipe hat"

Sadly, it was too late for Mr Brunel, as years of being a maverick trend-setter had played merry hell with his stature. Due to the 50lbs of cast iron pipe he deftly balanced on his head, his height was diminished considerably.

As an interesting historical aside, probably the most famous wearer of one of IK Brunels few original stovepipes was a gentleman in the new world who liked to chop down cherry trees. As is often the case in history, were it not for the lack of air conditioning and headroom in the theater owned by a certain Mr Ford (no relation), the unfortunate gentleman did not benefit from iron's ability to deflect bullets.

Not a lot of people know that.
When he built the SS Great Britain he never allowed for the floating dock gates,they launched the ship but it was too big to get through the lock gates into the river Avon and on out to Avonmouth.It took another six or seven months sitting in the floating harbour while they demo,d the gates and made them large enough to get her through.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:34 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

When he built the SS Great Britain he never allowed for the floating dock gates,they launched the ship but it was too big to get through the lock gates into the river Avon and on out to Avonmouth.It took another six or seven months sitting in the floating harbour while they demo,d the gates and made them large enough to get her through.
he probably had his head occupied, looking directly up at his next challenge..
Old Sep 15th 2008, 10:01 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:35 am
Just Joined

AJEastwood will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I know where many of you live here in the States, but where did you grow up? Or, if you don't want to claim that ( Come on, it couldn't be that bad!) where did you move from?
Born in Birkenhead. Grew up in Southampton. Moved out of Southampton as soon as I could. Lived in London for 25 years (Soho W1, Newbury Park, Acton, Wimbledon, Worcester Park, Earslfield SW18, Tooting Bec SW17, Balham SW12).
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:40 am

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

I juts moved back from Bristol.

It's a shit-hole.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I enjoyed reading this

Mine is Chelmsford, Cologne, Ingatestone (a little Essex village), Leeds, Cologne (again), London (Upper Holloway), Barnet, Solihull, Los Angeles.
Hey Sally - I lived in Blackmore, right near Ingatestone
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Born in London (Plaistow, E13)-> near Kingston, Surrey-> Perivale, W. London-> Wimbledon-> Wimbledon Park->London, N7 (Google Maps says it's Islington but I disagree. I lived very close to Holloway Women's Prison)-> Tufnell Park, N7?-> Clerkenwell, London, EC1-> St. John's Wood, NW7-> South Hampstead, NW6 (near Finchley Road tube) -> Durham, NC!
I lived in Tufnell Park and worked in Tottenham 1 Tax Office
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine
Hey Sally - I lived in Blackmore, right near Ingatestone
Cool