Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Where do I start? Buying a car

Where do I start? Buying a car

Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I start? Buying a car

Originally Posted by jmood
My Ford review:

Focus vs Fusion : Focus has front/center A/C air vents that have an on/off switch but the Fusion which is supposed to be the higher end car does not.
With the Fusion, regardless of how much I adjust the seat (and I have to adjust to the point I can drive) and with the seatbelt position at its lowest the belt cuts into my throat. With the Focus I can adjust the seat and the seat belt sits in the right position.
Focus comes with heated seats, with the Fusion it's extra.
Fusion has A/C vents in the back but they didn't bother engineering so that air could be chosen to be blown only in the back.
Fusion is obviously a slightly smoother ride.

I am told the Focus (the smaller car) is more gas efficient. With the Honda the bigger model was more gas efficient. Interesting.
Looks like you test drove a Fusion S (the base level trim) but a Focus SE (or Titanium). According to Edmunds, the Focus hatchback is not available in S trim, only the sedan. It looks like heated seats are supposed to be an option on the SE and included on the Titanium on both cars.

On my Fusion, you can definitely control the rear AC separately, though that may require the MyFord Touch package (the extra dash electronics).

Agree the Fusion is a smoother ride. That's often true when you compare a hatchback to a mid-size sedan.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778

On my Fusion, you can definitely control the rear AC separately, though that may require the MyFord Touch package (the extra dash electronics).
Thanks for telling me that I will call and ask about it it now. No wait - the seatbelt issue. They told me it could not be modified. So unfortunately the Ford Fusion is out for me.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't tried a Mazda yet. If it were a choice between an Accord and a Mazda 3 sedan, any thoughts? The mazda base price seem 3-4 K cheaper.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I got the same Honda dealer (via phone) to approve me for the 0.9%. His excuse for yesterday's 4% was that he didn't want to give me something that might later turn out not approved. B.s. because he did do the credit check, but whatever.

Can I get better than 0.09% ?
I would doubt it but you can double check with the bankrate web site to see what sort of rate you can get in your area.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, so scratch the Mazda 2. I like the Mazda 6. The price goes up significantly with their "packages", so I will stick with the basic Mazda 6 which they call the "sport" version.

Mazda 6 (Sport, i.e. basic) vs. Honda Accord Sedan LX?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

So here's the rest of my story.

Since the job I was starting was not as an employee but contract based a close friend talked me out of buying a car and said stick to renting until you know more (yes he's very conservative in the non-traditional sense of the word, I know that).

My rentals to that point has been daily/weekly. I started a new monthly rental contract out of a different branch of the same company. It turned out they had given me the wrong car - a car that had been sold - so requested I return asap - which I was able to only to a different location. That location did not have cars in the class I had booked (the cheapest) and I accepted teh first car they offered me, which turned out to be a Nissan Rouge, which is an SUV, something I was not considering previoulsy. So after driving that for several weeks I realized I liked it much more than the others that I've mentioned becuase:

1)The AC vents are round and can be turned 360 degrees or closed off. A silly reason maybe, but important to me. I didn't find this in any of the others.

2)I realized I like being high off the ground. I'm short.

I had NOT considered SUVs before, thinking (a)I don't need an SUV (b)they are gas guzzlers (c)they are more expensive.

However, the price is very close to the Honda and the Mazda I was considering. And the thing about the AC vents and the height are plusses.

I considered used but the certified used ones (2011 model around 45000 miles) were only 3K cheaper than new, so I figure I'll go with new.

I've already been to some Nissan dealers and was ready to buy but got annoyed by something the dealer had said re price on the phone (person A) which totally changed when I arrived (by person B and the manager) so I walked out. Dealers are such time wasters. I will go back when I garner the energy and bite the bullet.

So anyway, anything else I should consider? Am I making a bad choice?

Thanks!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I had NOT considered SUVs before, thinking (a)I don't need an SUV (b)they are gas guzzlers (c)they are more expensive.
And their indicators never seem to work...
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hotscot
And their indicators never seem to work...
You mean people who drive them tend to forget to use them? Indicators used to be a reflex for me when turning but not anymore. I don't know why. So sometimes I forget to use them too.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I've already been to some Nissan dealers and was ready to buy but got annoyed by something the dealer had said re price on the phone (person A) which totally changed when I arrived (by person B and the manager) so I walked out. Dealers are such time wasters. I will go back when I garner the energy and bite the bullet.
All car dealers are a pain. When I was buying a car for my son, they wouldn't tell me the price and asked me what I was willing to pay. I said I was paying cash (not financing) and said I'd pay 10% below MSRP. He went to his manager and came back and said, how does $xxx per month sound? I said I'm paying cash. He then responded, can you afford $xxx per month? I said if you continue to play these games, I'm leaving. He said, I'll have to talk to my manager and came back with a counter offer of 10% above MSRP and we walked out as he was yelling, that is just our first offer and it is negotiable.

At that time there were discount car brokers and we went there and stated exactly what we wanted. He said the price is 6% under MSRP but he'll first have to find a dealer with exactly what we want. After a couple of calls, he said he found one about 100 miles away and would be available in two days. We signed the agreement and picked up the car in two days. With the discount broker, we spent maybe 1 hour there and got the car we wanted at the expected price but at the car dealership, we spent about 2 hours there and accomplished absolutely nothing.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michael
All car dealers are a pain. When I was buying a car for my son, they wouldn't tell me the price and asked me what I was willing to pay. I said I was paying cash (not financing) and said I'd pay 10% below MSRP. He went to his manager and came back and said, how does $xxx per month sound? I said I'm paying cash. He then responded, can you afford $xxx per month? I said if you continue to play these games, I'm leaving. He said, I'll have to talk to my manager and came back with a counter offer of 10% above MSRP and we walked out as he was yelling, that is just our first offer and it is negotiable.
That kind of thing makes me want to scream or kick their heads in with a bat. Maybe it's an IQ issue. Which you can't do ANYTHING about. Sigh...
But also the salesperson - manager structure and set up is an absolute waste of time. There must be a reason it's still on, it must work for the dealers somehow.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, anyone, anything about the Nissan Rogue (NOT about the NEW Rogue). The old one. 2014 and older (because the new one no longer has round AC vents) ????
Old Oct 19th 2014, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

That kind of thing makes me want to scream or kick their heads in with a bat. Maybe it's an IQ issue. Which you can't do ANYTHING about. Sigh...
But also the salesperson - manager structure and set up is an absolute waste of time. There must be a reason it's still on, it must work for the dealers somehow.
It's setup like a con game. Confuse, confuse, confuse.

In reality, there really isn't any manager structure but is just a way to confuse.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That kind of thing makes me want to scream or kick their heads in with a bat. ....
Or you could beat them around the head with a shoe.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, ANYONE, ANYTHING about the Rogue please??
Old Oct 19th 2014, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michael

In reality, there really isn't any manager structure but is just a way to confuse.
Are you sure? That's even worse. That is indeed deception.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.