Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Where do I start? Buying a car

Where do I start? Buying a car

Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

MidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I start? Buying a car

Faced the same dilemma some years ago. And then of late was employed as Controller of a motor dealership so I have some knowledge.
"Cheap" means something else here. There is no MOT equivalent in most States so cheap here would most times would not get you on the road in the UK. A crock of ****
Forget the haters, there is nothing wrong with gas guzzlers. It is depreciation that costs you dearly not fuel costs.
And where 60000 miles might be considered high in the UK... Bah humbug...2-300000 is considered high in the Midwest. we measure our journeys in hours and not miles.
I started with a Honda CRV brand new from a Honda dealer on interest free credit. I got 70% of its value back 3 years later. I now own a Honda Pilot, fully loaded, gets 22 to the gallon on a good day and I can haul stuff behind. 150,000 miles so far and not a problem.
Ok...so you got here to the US. FFsake live a little and forget the limp wristed UK green credentials.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidwestBob
.... forget the limp wristed UK green credentials.
You live in the midwest and are raving about a Honda SUV?
Old Jul 21st 2014, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I have some knowledge.
FFsake live a little and forget the limp wristed UK green credentials.
Forget the haters, there is nothing wrong with gas guzzlers.

....you do say in another thread you're not trying to be contentious. Presumably, given this irresponsible drivel, you've changed your mind.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the haters, there is nothing wrong with gas guzzlers. It is depreciation that costs you dearly not fuel costs.
And where 60000 miles might be considered high in the UK... Bah humbug...2-300000 is considered high in the Midwest. we measure our journeys in hours and not miles.
FFsake live a little and forget the limp wristed UK green credentials.
If we forget about the green issue for a minute - it is an interesting calculation. If we were to assume say 500000 miles per year, I wonder what the difference in petrol would cost over 3 years for a gas guzzler vs a smallish sedan and how much their difference/depreciation in sale value would be 3 years later.
Then again, there is the absolute cost. Even if you are to recover more when you sell at 3 years, you have still laid out more in total. So I suppose the cost to the individual (+ cost to the environement) will be higher any way with the guzzlers.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
If we forget about the green issue for a minute - it is an interesting calculation. If we were to assume say 500000 miles per year, I wonder what the difference in petrol would cost over 3 years for a gas guzzler vs a smallish sedan and how much their difference/depreciation in sale value would be 3 years later.
Then again, there is the absolute cost. Even if you are to recover more when you sell at 3 years, you have still laid out more in total. So I suppose the cost to the individual (+ cost to the environment) will be higher any way with the guzzlers.
Short-term (hopefully) circumstances have left me driving my big truck as my daily commuter vehicle, but even if I swapped it for something using half the petrol it would only save me about $1,500 a year, which I would like to do, soon, but the truck has lost more than that to depreciation each year, on average over 12 years.

Conversely if you buy a five year old car the depreciation will be negligible compared to the cost of fuel. My 11½ year old Honda has now virtually zero depreciation. Despite being perfectly drivable and looking in fair shape for a car with 273,000 miles on it, as a trade-in it would likely be worth little more than scrap.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 21st 2014 at 3:33 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

MidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD

....you do say in another thread you're not trying to be contentious. Presumably, given this irresponsible drivel, you've changed your mind.
You sound like you never left the UK. Pity you dont live in the real America
Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like you never left the UK.
That's bizarre. Why?

Pity you dont live in the real America
Meaning?
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, few credit cards gave rewards on purchases but the GM Card (MasterCard) gave a 5% rewards towards the purchase of a GM vehicle. I didn't think I'd buy a GM car, except possibly a corvette, but got the GM Card anyway.

In 1996, my son's car broke down and I looked at Geo Prizms (same as a Toyota Corolla with a different body style) which had a MSRP of $11,500 but were on sale for $8,600 since I believe GM was phasing out the Geo Prizms to make Chevy Prizms. We went to the dealer and bought one and had another $2,600 off due to the rewards on my GM card. The dealer called GM to get the amount of the rewards on my card and gave an immediate rebate.

For the $6,000, my son used that car for the next 8 years.

Toyota and GM used to assemble the Corollas and Prizms at the NUMMI plant in Fremont CA which is now owned by Tesla for building their cars.
Attached Thumbnails Where do I start? Buying a car-prizm.jpg  

Last edited by Michael; Jul 21st 2014 at 6:53 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Meaning?
Yes that is quite an interesting concept.

A big part of what the Presidential election was fought on.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes that is quite an interesting concept.

A big part of what the Presidential election was fought on.
Was....and will be
Attached Thumbnails Where do I start? Buying a car-maxresdefault.jpg  
Old Jul 21st 2014, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Was....and will be
The choice is stark.

Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
If we were to assume say 500000 miles per year, I wonder what the difference in petrol would cost over 3 years for a gas guzzler vs a smallish sedan and how much their difference/depreciation in sale value would be 3 years later.
I hope you've got an extra zero in there, otherwise, where on earth do you plan to drive to?!
Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I hope you've got an extra zero in there, otherwise, where on earth do you plan to drive to?!
The moon and back! We arrived at the moon last summer, and we're now on the return leg.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 21st 2014 at 10:35 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Moonbeam!

Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Moonbeam!
That reminds me of the old Isetta! BMW Isetta for Sale | Hemmings Motor News

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.