Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Where do I start? Buying a car

Where do I start? Buying a car

Old Jul 19th 2014, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I start? Buying a car

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You didn't say what you rented, but a Honda, any model, and a Mazda should not be "sluggish", .
That's how bad I am. I don't pay any attention to even what make the car I've rented is. I just pulled out the rental paper. It only has a model - which reads like tart or dart - and a licence plate number. The color was great though. It was bright orange.

I just googled [dart and car], the result was "Dodge". I suppose that was it. Are they known to be slow accelerators?
Old Jul 19th 2014, 4:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
That's how bad I am. I don't pay any attention to even what make the car I've rented is. I just pulled out the rental paper. It only has a model - which reads like tart or dart - and a licence plate number. The color was great though. It was bright orange.

I just googled [dart and car], the result was "Dodge". I suppose that was it. Are they known to be slow accelerators?
Probably not the nippiest. Funnily enough, as you said you were "spoiled" with an Alfa, the Dart is actually a re-worked Alfa, but they put a bigger, wider body on it and left it bloated, they completely ruined the styling. ..... I suspect that it is just too much car for the engine, though I think the newer ones have a bigger engine.

The biggest problem is that it's a Dodge! If you're going to "go domestic" Ford is the only way to go. Fords are head and shoulders above the Dodge and Chevy models, I have two Fords myself, with 115,000 miles on them total, and they have never given me a problem in the 12 & 12½years I have had them.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 19th 2014 at 4:46 am.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not the nippiest. Funnily enough, as you said you were "spoiled" with an Alfa, the Dart is actually a re-worked Alfa, but they put a bigger, wider body on it and left it bloated, they completely ruined the styling. ..... I suspect that it is just too much car for the engine, though I think the newer ones have a bigger engine.
Admittedly the Alfa Romeo was a long time ago, but there is no way I can accept that that car was modeled after the AR. Really?? In terms of handling it was not remotely close. The AR would sprint the moment I pressed the gas pedal and had tight manuevering. This Dodge, nothing like.
In design, the AR (I did not have the sedan I had the beginner sports model) was modern, slick. This Dodge, apart from the great color was just nothing. But yes, the AR I had, had a smallish body.

Oh, just for perspective, I didn't buy the AR because I knew to buy it. I was even more ignorant of cars then. At the time my company gave me a big fat check to buy a car. I phoned my then boyfriend (who didn't live in the same town as I) and told him that I had been given the money, and said what car should I buy. He said AR. I said OK. Went to dealer. That was that.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 5:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

L
Admittedly the Alfa Romeo was a long time ago, but there is no way I can accept that that car was modeled after the AR. Really?? In terms of handling it was not remotely close. The AR would sprint the moment I pressed the gas pedal and had tight manuevering. This Dodge, nothing like.
In design, the AR (I did not have the sedan I had the beginner sports model) was modern, slick. This Dodge, apart from the great color was just nothing. But yes, the AR I had, had a smallish body.

Oh, just for perspective, I didn't buy the AR because I knew to buy it. I was even more ignorant of cars then. At the time my company gave me a big fat check to buy a car. I phoned my then boyfriend (who didn't live in the same town as I) and told him that I had been given the money, and said what car should I buy. He said AR. I said OK. Went to dealer. That was that.
Er, it wasn't the same Alfa Romeo! .... The Dart is based on the Alfa Romeo Giulietta which was launched in 2010. Aside from being bigger, the Dart no doubt had the suspension softened to cater for American "tastes". It's funny how Hondas sell very nicely in the US with very nice, tight suspension!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 19th 2014 at 5:05 am.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Er, it wasn't the same Alfa Romeo! .... The Dart is based on....

OK
They don't make them quite like they used to?
Old Jul 19th 2014, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

So these smaller SUVs which are "raised estate cars", are they categorically more expensive to maintain?
Are they smoother?
Quieter?
Safer?
Price-wise are they categorically more expensive than what has been suggested (the Honda, Subaru, Mazda)?

?
Old Jul 19th 2014, 5:18 am

?
Modern ones, built without a chassis, are very similar to the cars they are related to. For example the Ford Escape is built on a Focus floorpan, the Edge is built on a Fusion floorpan, and the Explorer is built on a Taurus floorpan. They are likely to be a little noisier as they are a little heavier, so the engine has to work harder, but they are likely no smoother to drove than the cars they are derived from. The higher center of gravity makes them a little less stable in corners. That said, my F250 goes round corners just fine though, I'll take turns and ramps marked with "safe" speed signs of 25-35mph at 10-15mph over the safe recommendation, so having a high center of gravity is IMO little more than a theoretical risk for most drivers.

If you are on a budget, honestly I'd stick to a car, with an Accord or Fusion being top of my list, or a Civic or Focus if your budget won't stretch to the larger vehicles.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

OK, thanks. Will check all of them out.

Can you tell me anything about AC efficiency, and having AC vents in the back?
About driver seat belt insertion point being adjustable?

And what about Kia?
http://elevatingsound.com/category/quiet-cars/

Last edited by jmood; Jul 19th 2014 at 5:56 am.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

And what about Kia?
Your Guide to Quiet Cars
In May I was on vacation and Budget had full size cars for $5 per week more than their economy cars so I reserved a full size car. I got a Kia and was totally underwhelmed with it. The economy or subcompact cars I normally rented seemed superior.

I don't think it was as quiet as something like a Camry but maybe that was because I really didn't like the car.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 1:55 pm

And what about Kia?
Your Guide to Quiet Cars
I had mentioned Kia, and Hyundai, in a post I was working on last night, then my phone battery went flat.

Kias are, to be blunt, cheap, and that is why they are popular with some people, but they are plasticy, and they lose value very quickly, as do Hyundais, which are only one notch higher up the food chain. If you are planning to run the vehicles into the ground then having excessive depreciation is not a problem, but if you tried to trade them after a couple of years you'll find they've lost a lot of their value. Kias are notoriously hard to trade, presumably for that reason, any where other than a Kia dealer.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. Thanks all.

So these smaller SUVs which are "raised estate cars", are they categorically more expensive to maintain?
Are they smoother?
Quieter?
Safer?
Price-wise are they categorically more expensive than what has been suggested (the Honda, Subaru, Mazda)?

I have driven a few SUVs, the last one was last year. I rented out the one but biggest SUV Avis had. I had to carry some cargo from the airport. The thing was massive. I mean massive. But it was smooth. And very very comfortable. But I'm just saying this. I am nowhere near financially being able to afford such a thing.

The other thing is, last week I rented something one category up from the compact (the smallest). One thing I noticed was it was slow to accelerate. Not that I can be that choosy. But again, I'm just saying. I would put my foot down on the gas (e.g. joining the motorway from a slip road) and it was sluggish. Is this what I should expect in the category that has been suggested to me. The Subaru, Honda and Mazda?
Drive an Explorer for nine years. Any other car you get into feels like a beast
Old Jul 19th 2014, 2:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I had mentioned Kia, and Hyundai, in a post I was working on last night, then my phone battery went flat.

Kias are, to be blunt, cheap, and that is why they are popular with some people, but they are plasticy, and they lose value very quickly, as do Hyundais, which are only one notch higher up the food chain. If you are planning to run the vehicles into the ground then having excessive depreciation is not a problem, but if you tried to trade them after a couple of years you'll find they've lost a lot of their value. Kias are notoriously hard to trade, presumably for that reason, any where other than a Kia dealer.
Nothing wrong with cheap. I bought a 2001 Kia Sephia for $2,500 all in, in 2006. Love that loss of resale value. It is now on its last legs really - it starts like clockwork in even the coldest weather which is saying a lot here, though I have had to replace the starter motor once of course, but it is of an age when expensive things that are not worth fixing on that car will be going wrong. It is small, uncomfortable over long distance because it lacks power and you feel a LOT of road vibration, the metal bits are rusting badly due to all the salt in a midwestern winter and the plastic bits are warping from the heat of a midwestern summer. Other than that, it's great....

I do need to replace now though, and am also wondering what to get - need a little bigger, but not huge, and reliable, and not an arm and a leg to repair. Sounds as though it might be a Ford.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Nothing wrong with cheap. I bought a 2001 Kia Sephia for $2,500 all in, in 2006. ...... It is small, uncomfortable over long distance because it lacks power and you feel a LOT of road vibration, the metal bits are rusting badly due to all the salt in a midwestern winter and the plastic bits are warping from the heat of a midwestern summer. Other than that, it's great.....
You seem to have defined the consequences of "cheap" very nicely!
Old Jul 19th 2014, 2:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to have defined the consequences of "cheap" very nicely!
Cheap and cheerful.

But at the time I had no options, and had "cheap" not been available I would have been on the buses, which is no joy at all in a midwestern winter with a small child. So I was very happy that cheap yet reliable was available. I did have to clean a lot of used hypodermic needles out from between the seats and under the spare wheel well in the back... Even though I got the car from a dealer - a car dealer I mean.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
..... Even though I got the car from a dealer - a car dealer I mean.
Dämnit, you stole the punchline!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.