Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Where do I start? Buying a car

Where do I start? Buying a car

Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:18 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I start? Buying a car

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My GF want's one, I don't see any benefit to them myself and they don't seem as fuel efficient, but luckily we wont be getting one since they are above our price point, but she surely likes them for whatever reason.

I like small vehicles that are efficient on gas, I feel it's a waste to drive around in a larger vehicle when one doesn't actually need the space.
I think that much of the market research is proprietary, but as far as I can tell:

-Height provides a sense of security and safety (and it makes the aggressive drivers feel tougher.) This may be the most compelling psychological reason, even though the gut feeling isn't accurate.

-The seating position is more upright, which is to the liking of many people. This is particularly appealing to older drivers who have difficulty with the lower seating positions of regular passenger cars.

-Other tall vehicles on the road seem less intimidating from a taller vehicle. (Hence, selling more of these creates a feedback loop as more drivers find themselves with the feeling of being surrounded.)

-Boxy vehicles are practical. SUVs and CUVs offer utility without the uber-family stigma of a minivan (although there is research that suggest that committed minivan buyers want to tell the world that they are family-oriented, unlike SUV buyers.)

And at this point, so many people have become accustomed to them that they seem normal. Younger people have spent most of their lives in taller vehicles, so it's the passenger car that seems unusual to them.

All told, they are growing in popularity. I don't see that trend changing anytime soon.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

the other reason they are popular with women is that they are a lot easier to manage with kids/car seats than a normal sedan.

I don't know if the OP is near a Mini dealership, but you could consider a Mini Countryman, which is the crossover version of a Mini. Length and width-wise it's about slightly bigger than a Fiesta, but because it's taller and bulkier it feels bigger. I've driven both a Mini and the Countryman - the Countryman handles nearly as well as the Mini, but you feel a lot less vulnerable due to the height. But by US standards its still a small and gas efficient car.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 2:50 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
OK, anyone, anything about the Nissan Rogue (NOT about the NEW Rogue). The old one. 2014 and older (because the new one no longer has round AC vents) ????
My OH has driven one since 2009. It has been a workhorse, reliable, good in the snow, and when he was at the test-drive stage I much preferred it to the similar Hondas and Subarus of this world. If you like it, just get it -- who cares what anyone else thinks?
Old Oct 20th 2014, 4:03 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, car purchases have traditionally been a royal PIA. However, the internet now makes it a lot easier. See this article in the Los Angeles Times: A step-by-step guide to help you get the best deal on a new car - LA Times

I just used this in purchase of a Jetta Sportwagen TDI. It made things relatively painless. The only hiccup was that one dealer issued a certificate for purchase which had a mistaken price on it [it was out of the ball park low and everyone else said -- we can't meet that.] When we finally bought the car, it turned out that the dealer with the best inventory was 60 miles away [and it was on the ocean during a monster heat wave]. We went there with the price hammered down. We were asked if we wanted extras and we said "no." "No problem."

All the negotiation was via e-mail.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Oct 20th 2014 at 5:27 am. Reason: correct a typo!
Old Oct 20th 2014, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Subaru Forester recently and love it. Looked at the Ford Escape which I liked, but the safety reviews weren't that good. I would never have had an SUV in the UK with the cost of fuel and those pricey taxes, but with the winters on the East Coast AWD is good insurance.

I bought though the Costco Auto Program which saves some negotiation and then the dealership fought with Chase to get me a great finance rate (2.9%) despite my newish credit history which was amazing.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaffy23
I bought a Subaru Forester recently and love it. Looked at the Ford Escape which I liked, but the safety reviews weren't that good. I would never have had an SUV in the UK with the cost of fuel and those pricey taxes, but with the winters on the East Coast AWD is good insurance.
I've had my Outback for just over a year now. Love it.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 5:26 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaffy23

I bought though the Costco Auto Program which saves some negotiation and then the dealership fought with Chase to get me a great finance rate (2.9%) despite my newish credit history which was amazing.
BTW, two of the dealers I delt with were the Costco approved dealers and they both informed me that the price I had received was a tad better. That said, their deal with Costco is to honor the written price list.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My GF want's one, I don't see any benefit to them myself and they don't seem as fuel efficient, but luckily we wont be getting one since they are above our price point, but she surely likes them for whatever reason.

I like small vehicles that are efficient on gas, I feel it's a waste to drive around in a larger vehicle when one doesn't actually need the space.
You're absolutely right. I agree. I got to drive one for several weeks as a result of a complete fluke in a car rental agreement. It was not my choice. Then, the reason I ended up liking this particular one is specifically because of how the AC is designed. I really have a discomfort issue with almost all car ACs. This particular one, you can adjust 360 degrees, the angle which the air blows. And as icing on the cake, I discovered being "high" feels nice while driving, I am only 156 cm tall.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 5:35 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
It's setup like a con game. Confuse, confuse, confuse.

In reality, there really isn't any manager structure but is just a way to confuse.
That bullshit 'manager' stuff irritates me.

When I leased my car over here I said I'll come with the sales rep to talk to his manager directly. Turns out there actually WAS a manager and he got quite cross with me haggling so hard downward on my lease. He showed me the price they paid for the car, but honestly, that's not the real price. There are numerous kickbacks involved as we both knew. I got the deal I wanted anyway.

Anyway, keep with it - take someone else in to haggle on your behalf if you wish. I would always offer to do that for people I knew in England. ALWAYS easier to haggle for someone else rather than yourself.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
BTW, car purchases have traditionally been a royal PIA. However, the internet now makes it a lot easier. See this article in the Los Angeles Times: A step-by-step guide to help you get the best deal on a new car - LA Times

All the negotiation was via e-mail.
Yeah - I though I had it all down to pat after e-mail and phone conversations. Then when I was in the store physically, I was told the guy I corresponded with was the "internet manager" and what he told did not stand AT ALL. So, it still is a PIA with internet sometimes.

The price they were asking is $1000 below others but still, because of this I walked out, ANNOYED. Principle is super important to me, but I do feel silly about it as well. 1000$ savings :-(
Old Oct 20th 2014, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Mahina.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 5:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So after 93 days and 160 posts the OP still can't decide what sort of vehicle she wants to buy. This must be some sort of record for a "help me decide which car to buy" thread.

I wonder if she has decided yet in which state to buy it?
Old Oct 20th 2014, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So after 93 days and 160 posts the OP still can't decide what sort of vehicle she wants to buy. This must be some sort of record for a "help me decide which car to buy" thread.

I wonder if she has decided yet in which state to buy it?

Pulaski, I know you're benign so I'm not annoyed!
Well, I STOPPED looking for about 5 weeks. That was because I had just started work (new job) and I was consumed with the huge commute and the newness etc. Like I wrote before, around the end of the prior hiatus in this thread, my friend convinced me i should not buy until I was more settled with the job. I just recently started looking again.

Edit: Plus it's so easy to just continue renting. Avoids making the decision, biting the bullet. It's non-committal, I could stop any time. Even though financially it's worse.

Last edited by jmood; Oct 20th 2014 at 11:50 am.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I think that much of the market research is proprietary, but as far as I can tell:

-Height provides a sense of security and safety (and it makes the aggressive drivers feel tougher.) This may be the most compelling psychological reason, even though the gut feeling isn't accurate.

-Other tall vehicles on the road seem less intimidating from a taller vehicle. (Hence, selling more of these creates a feedback loop as more drivers find themselves with the feeling of being surrounded.)

Points 1 and 3 which I copied above - spot on for what I felt. Like I wrote before, I hadn't driven an SUV before, for more than a few hours here and there. And this rental fluke, which ended up with me having this Nissan Rouge originally for 4 weeks and now into my 7th week, left me feeling exactly like points 1 and 3. Yes, I am really intimidated by the "taller" vehicles, i.e. the lorries and trailers. If I end up next to one, for some reason i always feel like it's going to topple onto me or close in on me. The height of the CUV/SUV compensates a little bit.

But again, for me, this isn't about some/any SUV. It's that this particular one has round AC vents, plus the seatbelt positioning is right.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
the other reason they are popular with women is that they are a lot easier to manage with kids/car seats than a normal sedan.

I don't know if the OP is near a Mini dealership, but you could consider a Mini Countryman, which is the crossover version of a Mini. Length and width-wise it's about slightly bigger than a Fiesta, but because it's taller and bulkier it feels bigger. I've driven both a Mini and the Countryman - the Countryman handles nearly as well as the Mini, but you feel a lot less vulnerable due to the height. But by US standards its still a small and gas efficient car.
I've been considering whether to go with the Original Mini or the Countryman. Not sure if I like the look of the Countryman as much but then again the height etc..

We'll probably do some test drives anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.