Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When your tooth aches bad, and the ER won't give pain-killers

When your tooth aches bad, and the ER won't give pain-killers

Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When your tooth aches bad, and the ER won't give pain-killers

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yeah, apparently taking more than three of them can kill you. I discovered this a few years after I once took six when I had a really bad toothache before I had a root canal

For the OP - not sure if it worked but my brother-in-law had bad toothache recently and he was sticking garlic in there, which he claimed helped with the pain. Not sure if the garlic breath is worth the trade off there though.
Too many kills the liver.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Too many kills the liver.
Tylenol? Yeah, I rarely have them around though because ibuprofen is by far the best at relieving any pain I need to relieve, so it won't be an issue anymore.

It was just interesting to know how irresponsible I was when I was desperate to throw anything down my neck that might alleviate the severe toothache I was woken up with at 3am. They didn't do a damn thing to help as well.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tylenol? Yeah, I rarely have them around though because ibuprofen is by far the best at relieving any pain I need to relieve, so it won't be an issue anymore.

It was just interesting to know how irresponsible I was when I was desperate to throw anything down my neck that might alleviate the severe toothache I was woken up with at 3am. They didn't do a damn thing to help as well.
Yup...acetaminophen...aka Tylenol/paracetamol etc. Ibuprofen is ok unless you have stomach problems...my 18 year old niece had emergency surgery for a hole in her stomach after taking Ibuprofen. Doctor told her to take it for an injured shoulder...she only took the manufacturer’s recommended dose...but ended up in the OR.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yup...acetaminophen...aka Tylenol/paracetamol etc. Ibuprofen is ok unless you have stomach problems...my 18 year old niece had emergency surgery for a hole in her stomach after taking Ibuprofen. Doctor told her to take it for an injured shoulder...she only took the manufacturer’s recommended dose...but ended up in the OR.
I used to take paracetamol all the time when I had headaches back home, until one time I'd crashed at a mate's house and he gave me some Nurofen to help my hangover and after that it was ibuprofen all the way
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I used to take paracetamol all the time when I had headaches back home, until one time I'd crashed at a mate's house and he gave me some Nurofen to help my hangover and after that it was ibuprofen all the way
My old mum used to take paracetamol all the time. When having a cup of tea she would hand the bottle round like a plate of biscuits. ‘Would you like 2...go one take a couple.’
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:45 pm
I have a comma problem

My old mum used to take paracetamol all the time. When having a cup of tea she would hand the bottle round like a plate of biscuits. ‘Would you like 2...go one take a couple.’
Old Oct 25th 2017, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure which state you are in. My neighbor uses a cannabis cream for her arthritis quite successfully. You may want to take some edibles if they are available in your state.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Did you say they were 800mg ones though? I was talking about the 200mg ones, so yeah I wouldn't take six of the big ones

Not sure you'd be able to get a root canal without an appointment but you should be able to get it yanked without one.
Yeah 800mgs

Been at the Dentist office (Aspen Dental) from 10:20am to 12:00 noon today. Getting lots of x-rays, looksee by the assistant and doctor etc..

2 of my tooth are too far gone for root-canals so they need to come out. Getting the one that is causing pain pulled today at 1:00pm today.

What is the opinion here about Aspen Dental?
They are only charging me $137 for the extration and they don't do root-canals. But they do Implants for the tooth that will get pulled but it is $3800 per tooth . And deep cleaning is $1900

All in all, 2 implants, 1 crown and deep cleaning comes to around $14,000 and that does not even include the 1 root-canal which I will have to go elsewhere for.

What do you all think of those prices, are they they norm? How did you all go about choosing a dentist? Did you get 2nd opinions? Anyone here used Aspen Dental ? They have franchises all over the US.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KK85
Seconded. Clove oil!
Cloves and Tylenol wedged between tooth and gum was a remedy used,
Old Oct 25th 2017, 6:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Did you say they were 800mg ones though? I was talking about the 200mg ones, so yeah I wouldn't take six of the big ones

Not sure you'd be able to get a root canal without an appointment but you should be able to get it yanked without one.
They won't do a root canal until the infection is cleared.

PS So it is not an infection. That's good.

I would get the tooth pulled and then shop around for second opinions and costs. It sounds excess to me.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 25th 2017 at 6:05 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Yeah 800mgs

Been at the Dentist office (Aspen Dental) from 10:20am to 12:00 noon today. Getting lots of x-rays, looksee by the assistant and doctor etc..

2 of my tooth are too far gone for root-canals so they need to come out. Getting the one that is causing pain pulled today at 1:00pm today.

They are only charging me $137 for the extration and they don't do root-canals. But they do Implants for the tooth that will get pulled but it is $3800 per tooth . And deep cleaning is $1900

All in all, 2 implants, 1 crown and deep cleaning comes to around $14,000 and that does not even include the 1 root-canal which I will have to go elsewhere for.

What do you all think of those prices, are they they norm? How did you all go about choosing a dentist? Did you get 2nd opinions? Anyone here used Aspen Dental ? They have franchises all over the US.
I'm assuming you do not have insurance. My deep cleaning was covered 100% by insurance. I will try and dig out the bill later if I still have it.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:30 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Yeah 800mgs

Wow, they really rip you off. Have a 5 star holiday in thailand, have the work done and still save money. Alternatively having that done in the uk by the modt expensive dental surgeons - about half that or 1/4 in eastern europe. The implants all come from sweden.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the tooth being pulled a visible tooth? I assume it is if your considering implants, but if not visible, why bother with implants.

Mexico is a possibility, I know several people who have gone to Mexico to reputable dentists with good results and their Canadian dentists even complimented how well the work was done.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Wow, they really rip you off. Have a 5 star holiday in thailand, have the work done and still save money. Alternatively having that done in the uk by the modt expensive dental surgeons - about half that or 1/4 in eastern europe. The implants all come from Sweden.
There are a few eastern European dentists who actually have offices in London, you can go there for initial consultations, and then you fly to Hungary or Poland to get implants done- frankly compared Mexico I think a safer and not too much more expensive bet. Colombia is another option. I am not sure about India or Thailand, British dentist I know who spent some time doing emergency dental surgery said often work not done well in such places. Plus problem with implants one has to return after six months usually so a second trip.

On the other hand cost in UK and USA is unbelievable.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 8:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mrken30
I'm assuming you do not have insurance. My deep cleaning was covered 100% by insurance. I will try and dig out the bill later if I still have it.
My husband had the same...plus an implant...all covered by insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.