Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

when you were moving to the US, what did you wish you'd known about?

when you were moving to the US, what did you wish you'd known about?

Old Oct 30th 2015, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when you were moving to the US, what did you wish you'd known about?

Originally Posted by mrken30
I wish i could remember to take my coupons with me. So annoying getting to the store without the coupons. I am not sure if the model ever existed in the UK, if it did , probably before my time.

Also I wish that prices in grocery stores for some items did not vary by about 50% , especially pet food.
I use the Ibotta app, which gives you the coupon money retrospectively. Buy the things on a deal, then either snap a photo of the receipt or scan the QR code, depending on the store. Send to Ibotta, then they give you money that can be cashed out via PayPal or exchanged for gift cards. There are usually some cracking deals on 12-boxes of beer, with up to $4 off; they also do 'coupons' at 20c a time for buying generic staples like apples, broccoli, milk, etc.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 12:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when you were moving to the US, what did you wish you'd known about?

Originally Posted by kodokan
I use the Ibotta app, which gives you the coupon money retrospectively. Buy the things on a deal, then either snap a photo of the receipt or scan the QR code, depending on the store. Send to Ibotta, then they give you money that can be cashed out via PayPal or exchanged for gift cards. There are usually some cracking deals on 12-boxes of beer, with up to $4 off; they also do 'coupons' at 20c a time for buying generic staples like apples, broccoli, milk, etc.
Broccoli is a staple?
Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:05 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Broccoli is a staple?
Phew. Thought it was just me.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Broccoli is a staple?
No. Have you ever tried using it to keep papers together? Utterly useless.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:17 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had known that America has a bizarre obsession with brocolli to the exclusion of almost all other vegetables.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really mind broccoli. It's the third best vegetable after potatoes and baked beans.

It kicks the shit out of lettuce, and peas are evil little green balls of shit.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:23 pm

It's also handy for padding out that one corner of the General Tso Chicken container.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:35 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
It's also handy for padding out that one corner of the General Tso Chicken container.
Yes. Most of my exposure to it comes in the form of Chinese food anyway. Sprouts are usually the go to token second vegetable to go with the potatoes when we have dinner at home.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I don't really mind broccoli. It's the third best vegetable after potatoes and baked beans.

It kicks the shit out of lettuce, and peas are evil little green balls of shit.
Brocolli wouldn't be in my top twenty vegetables, twenty five if you include potatoes as a "vegetable".

If I never ate broccoli again it wouldn't matter in the slightest to me; the only vegetable that springs to mind as being less enjoyable for me is asparagus, which is apparently Mrs P's #1 all-time favourite vegetable.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Brocolli wouldn't be in my top twenty vegetables, twenty five if you include potatoes as a "vegetable".

If I never ate broccoli again it wouldn't matter in the slightest to me; the only vegetable that springs to mind as being less enjoyable for me is asparagus, which is apparently Mrs P's #1 all-time favourite vegetable.
I don't think I even know the names of 25 vegetables.

Really though, once you have sprouts why would you ever need any others?
Old Oct 30th 2015, 2:04 pm
I have a comma problem

Really though, once you have sprouts why would you ever need any others?
Spares, for when the sprouts run out?

They're all bit part players anyway, if there's room on the plate once the meat and the potatoes (or rice, depending on the meal) is put on.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Spares, for when the sprouts run out?

They're all bit part players anyway, if there's room on the plate once the meat and the potatoes (or rice, depending on the meal) is put on.
the best use for rice is in a pudding.

Which I now want.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 2:09 pm

the best use for rice is in a pudding.

Which I now want.
If I had some, I'd happily send you some, in fact I'd happily send you all of it.

But there is a reason why we have none.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If I had some, I'd happily send you some, in fact I'd happily send you all of it.
All of it would be my very favorite quantity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.