When in Rome...

Old Mar 23rd 2014, 10:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: When in Rome...

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
My sister is a west coast (California) expat living in Georgia. She hasn't picked up the accent, too close to Atlanta I guess. She was a foreign exchange student to Scotland in 1974 for just under a year, came back with a very noticeable accent, even had a boyfriend named Angus
She lost that accent very soon.
The accent & dialect thing is quite interesting.

I haven't lost mine but I can lose, alter & change it at will if I so choose.

Husband hasn't lost his but it has burred with time. He could not &would not change it as a matter of general discourse but can do many accents whilst within private company.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellegiselle
My husband is British and in recent years I have met more Brits in America than ever before. The economy is great in parts of the US and there is a lot of opportunity. One thing that has been grating on me lately is that more and more of the Brits I meet-including my husband have an attitude about Americans.

The attitude ranges from mocking our language, our spelling, our culture, to sticking up their nose at our food and feeling like they are clearly better than us. I feel like sharing with you Brits either living here or thinking of coming over: you're gaining a bad reputation over here.

You are now the obnoxious tourists who don't observe local cultural norms and behave in a way that is less and less welcome. Either take it down a notch or go home. Don't take advantage of the good America offers you and whine like a little bitch about everything that's different than home. I mean are you truly shocked this country is different than England? At what point did you realize life here would be different??? If you think England is better-go back. Otherwise show a little class.
If you are indeed a real person and not a troll, I would be more than happy to converse with you by PM. After 3 years of trying to "fit-in" here, I came to the conclusion that America really offered very little indeed and am doing exactly what you say.

Nothing else to add here, but I will discuss and argue with you rationally by PM - meanwhile, please enjoy the superb British sense-of-humour and self-depreciation shown by others on this forum. It's kept me in stitches for the last couple of days; just what we need as we go through yet another difficult transition.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 5:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
First I'm impressed you went back 47 posts for a partial quote.
I think the term 'stateside' began to die off after WW2, though fairly common until the 1960's.
I believe it could slip into a conversation if I were overseas talking to an American.
That's my impression about stateside. I've certainly heard it from Americans born before 1920.
Yes, first I read the post, then had to remember what page it was on so I could go back to it ...
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

As I sit on a forum of say-100 Brits you say I'm not being taken seriously. Perhaps that's entirely accurate. I can live with that. On he other hand, you're surrounded by roughly 320 million people and I can promise you love, you're being laughed at as well. It's just we try to be PC and keep it behind closed doors. (that emoticon was just an attempt at British play as your counterparts seem to think it's the thing to do)
Of course we aren't taking you seriously. You are a troll...but you do have some amusement value.

By the way love...stop pretending to be an American...it's pathetic.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Of course we aren't taking you seriously. You are a troll...but you do have some amusement value.

You know who does a good American? Hugh Laurie.

Maybe acting classes are in order?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you'd like to share with everyone here-publicly, how you came about being in America. What do you do in this land? PLEASE shed all anonymity!!!! Be open and honest with us :
Tat for tit/turvy topsy/good for the gander good for the goose

and let's not be coy

Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Tat for tit/turvy topsy/good for the gander good for the goose

http://oi33.tinypic.com/34no7e1.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CkPRm45x1oc
This should be required reading for anyone that posts on the magical InterWeb:

http://www.us.penguingroup.com/stati...ootsleaves.pdf

Heard her being interviewed on "Saturday Live" a couple of weeks ago - now THERE is a true grammar pedant.... And rightly so.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You know who does a good American? Hugh Laurie.

Maybe acting classes are in order?
He does indeed.

Can British trolls even take acting classes?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:48 pm
Banned

ellegiselle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Yes of course. I originally came over here to marry an American, that was over a decade ago now. The marriage didn't last, no more than a few months before we parted ways. but I have found that despite my original preconceptions, America is very generous to the poor. I have not needed to work a day since my arrival, what with food stamps, public assistance and various charities I have been able to devout my time to the study of the Bible.
So you live in North Carolina? I love the way you Brits who come from an island roughly the size of one of our states-(and not even the biggest one) love to generalize "America" and "Americans". In NC you can live better off welfare than working a respectable job and everyone says "have a blessed day" everywhere you go. Which are some of the reasons why the rest of America makes fun of them and none of us genuinely take them seriously. Talk about the bible belt to anyone north, east and especially west and you'll get a "no need to say more" response. The majority of America is not represented by the stereotype you just vomited out.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

So you live in North Current a? I love the way you Brits who come from an island roughly the size of one of our states-(and not even the biggest one) love to generalize "America" and "Americans". In NC you can live better off welfare than working a respectable job and everyone says "have a blessed day" everywhere you go. Which are some of the reasons why the rest of America makes fun of them and none of us genuinely take them seriously. Talk about the bible belt to anyone north, east and especially west and you'll get a "no need to say more" response. The majority of America is not represented by the stereotype you just vomited out.
Gosh. You lot are jolly class conscious over here, aren't you.

Sticking your noses up at each other. Tsk.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

You guessed it. I'm a troll and I'm British.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:59 pm

Does anyone know how many posts we have to get to in order to win an award?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Gosh. You lot are jolly class conscious over here, aren't you.

Sticking your noses up at each other. Tsk.
Yes you see my thick as pig shit friend, I'm American so I can "have a go" at other Americans and it's accepted. You're British so you can't. It's a simple equation somewhere along the lines of a white person never using the "n" word or let's see how else might I get you to understand? I'm afraid I might not be able to....
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:01 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

So you live in North Carolina? I love the way you Brits who come from an island roughly the size of one of our states-(and not even the biggest one) love to generalize "America" and "Americans". In NC you can live better off welfare than working a respectable job and everyone says "have a blessed day" everywhere you go. Which are some of the reasons why the rest of America makes fun of them and none of us genuinely take them seriously. Talk about the bible belt to anyone north, east and especially west and you'll get a "no need to say more" response. The majority of America is not represented by the stereotype you just vomited out.
They don't have enough true respect for the Lord in NC, thus why I am moving to PNW, were Mars Hill Church really follows the Bible, including Timothy 2:12. PNW women know there God given place. Maybe we could attend a service together?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung
They don't have enough true respect for the Lord in NC, thus why I am moving to PNW, were Mars Hill Church really follows the Bible, including Timothy 2:12. PNW women know there God given place. Maybe we could attend a service together?
Don't blame you. I was in NC once. Bloody heathens the lot of them. Mars Hill should suit you better. Properly devout, and you get the fishy smell at no extra charge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.