Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old Apr 16th 2020, 7:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Originally Posted by robin1234
Possible, I believe, but probably a hire car (limousine? Can’t remember the proper British term) would be the better bet.
"Private hire"?
Old Apr 16th 2020, 9:33 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
How is this journey in any way essential? You have a home in Norfolk where you could stay perfectly comfortably.
Apparently travel between family homes is OK according to the White House
Ms Trump, her husband and fellow administration adviser Jared Kushner, and their three children went to "a closed-down facility considered to be a family home", the statement to US media said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52317673

Last edited by lizzyq; Apr 16th 2020 at 9:36 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Thanks. Yeah, in normal times, I always take a bus to Norwich, train from Norwich to Liverpool Street, tube to Paddington where I stay one or more nights in a folkloric cheap hotel. Then tube or Heathrow Express to Heathrow. Then Air Canada to Ottawa. For various reasons none of this is feasible now.

So I’d only do it if I could get a hire car direct to the airport. But I don’t really want to risk the plane and Logan airport at Boston. So it is a dilemma.

And yeah, I’m perfectly comfortable and safe in rural Norfolk.
If I had to fly in the near future I'd be happier doing it now when the planes are almost empty rather than when restrictions are eased and every dirty Tom, Dick and Harry wants to catch up on their missed air miles.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Trump is amusing when he says things like Canada is going well, probably one of the first borders to open, (not exact words) well orange man its not Canada that is the issues its the US, and Canada wont likely open it to regular traffic until the US is under control.

He is so oblivious to the world around him
Old Apr 16th 2020, 10:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Trump is amusing when he says things like Canada is going well, probably one of the first borders to open, (not exact words) well orange man its not Canada that is the issues its the US, and Canada wont likely open it to regular traffic until the US is under control.

actually he is not as orange today.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
actually he is not as orange today.
Maybe short supply for his tanning stuff ha ha

This video gives a bit of an idea of what domestic flights look like these days.

Old Apr 17th 2020, 12:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In fairness there aren't actually very many of those, but after high risk groups including healthcare workers and "first responders", an effective vaccine is going to be directed to areas worst affected, so New York City and a handful of major metropolitan areas, and they are going to need probably 50 million + vaccines, so even if a vaccine were approved for production in September, I don't expect it to be universally available across the US for at least 12 months. Given that at the moment an effective vaccination is just a "hope" it is IMO almost certainly going to take a lot longer than 12 months for most Americans to have access to an effective vaccine.
I’ve just been watching CNN, there were interviewing a researcher from The Jenner Inst. Oxford. He said they have a vaccine and are starting human trials next week. They are pretty confident it will be ready by the autumn with 80% success rate.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 17th 2020 at 10:07 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I’ve just been watching CNN, there were interviewing a researcher from The Jenner Inst. Oxford. He said they have a vaccine and are starting human trials next. They are pretty confident it will be ready by the autumn with 80% success rate.
There seems to be a fair few trials/possibilities going on around the world, its a rush to see who can make one work. I know there is a trial ongoing in Seattle one of the first, but haven't heard how its going though.

I think with SARS and MERS because neither spread like this one and kind of vanished there was no need to find a vaccine, wasn't widespread enough. I believe there are some coronavirus vaccines for animals, different viruses of course but in the same family, so with the money and need to find one, they may just very well do so.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 12:50 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy for Canada to keep it's borders closed as long as the US opens it's borders.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Well my parents in England got a text today saying their flight HOME in July is cancelled. But nothing about the outbound flight to America? They were visiting, but now I'm not sure what this actually means? Any ideas?
Old Apr 17th 2020, 6:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cxx
I'm happy for Canada to keep it's borders closed as long as the US opens it's borders.
Prime Minister made it pretty clear it wont be opening anytime soon at least coming north, the US can of course do what they want, but Canada seems to be in no rush.

I am in a position where I can still cross if needed so no biggie, they are not denying USC's and Canada isn't yet denying PR's so could cross in an emergency, but of course I wont unless extreme emergency because of the 14 day quarantine upon return.

Looking at airfares on Delta from Vancouver to California, holy first class only being sold and $2,300 round trip, never seen airfare the high, almost seems they are pricing high to discourage anyone from booking. I can't imagine flights are full, but looking at the seat map seems they are not selling main cabin at the moment on some routes, dunno but that airfare is insane, usually first class round trip is in the $500-$1,000 range.

Old Apr 17th 2020, 10:35 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a fair few trials/possibilities going on around the world, its a rush to see who can make one work. I know there is a trial ongoing in Seattle one of the first, but haven't heard how its going though.

I think with SARS and MERS because neither spread like this one and kind of vanished there was no need to find a vaccine, wasn't widespread enough. I believe there are some coronavirus vaccines for animals, different viruses of course but in the same family, so with the money and need to find one, they may just very well do so.
The first one with a vaccine that works however well they need it to work will be printing their own money.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 11:46 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I'm concerned about the potential ramifications of a vaccine that is rushed out with abbreviated clinical trials. Anyone seen 'I Am Legend'??

Old Apr 17th 2020, 1:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I'm concerned about the potential ramifications of a vaccine that is rushed out with abbreviated clinical trials. Anyone seen 'I Am Legend'??
That's why I don't think we're going to see a vaccine this side of next March. It's really pointless to roll out a vaccine that cures the disease without knowing what the side effects are. The whole reason our vaccines today actually are safe is because of the rigorous testing.

Would suck to be immune to the rona but then die of mega-cancer because they rushed out the shots. That'd be my bloody luck.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
For the record, I fully support vaccination, but I do t think I’ll be rushing out to get this one. Whereas I don’t see people turning into zombies, I don’t think I’d be too happy putting a rushed vaccine into my body. That being said, this vaccine can’t come soon enough LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.