Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old Apr 15th 2020, 5:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Originally Posted by robin1234
I don’t usually quote my own posts, but since I got no responses, does anyone have any thoughts on this? This is a really serious question for me.
I think making the trip is feasible, but you will need to be expecting to cope with delays and less than smooth passage. With UK hotels closed not sure what happens if you get delayed at Heathrow, for example. Yesterday I was reading some speculation that once restrictions start to lift, social distancing might be required on board aircraft. Resulting in a lot less tickets being sold per flight at a much higher cost. If you travel now you might have unknown upheaval to cope with, if you stay tickets prices might be unaffordable for the leisure traveler for some time.

In your situation, where I assume your wife is in NY and you are in good health, I think I would fly now if you can. At least you have a good chance of being able to keep away from others as much as possible, and it does seem the BA flight to Boston is still operating. If you stay here it could well be into next year before things "improve". Guess it depends how risk adverse you and your wife are, which you choose.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t usually quote my own posts, but since I got no responses, does anyone have any thoughts on this? This is a really serious question for me.
If I were you and wanted to get home and you can arrange everything you need to get home, I would come home. The flight likely wont be very full, airports are empty, and returning USC's are more than welcome to return home, really think the risk is low enough to be honest to take the risk, and I would do it.

Frankly I think my local grocery store is a higher risk than an airplane at this point.

Old Apr 15th 2020, 5:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I’m thinking of booking something similar, Heathrow to Boston in a few weeks time. Hopefully my daughter could pick me up and I’d quarantine at her house for two weeks. I think one of the local car hire companies here at Norwich airport would drive me to Heathrow (I usually take bus - train - tube to get to LHR.)

Do you think these journeys are feasible & practical? My other option obviously is to stay in place here in Norfolk for - however long ..
I think this is doable from a US perspective, but whether you can get to LHR might be the biggest challenge. And what happens if there are still restrictions in place when you want to return later in the year? .... Would you be "guilty" of travelling between two homes and potentially liable for a fixed penalty ticket?

Whether it is sensible from a personal health perspective is a different question, and one only you can answer.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 5:38 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

The first question has to be the method of transport to the airport? I know the trains are very quiet right now according to the news and I think a number of services have been cancelled. With regards to a taxi cab/private car. Are you prepared to trust that the driver whom you will be with for around an hour or more is clear of corona because a lot of these cab drivers may not care about passing it on. They will just work even with the help the government is given out.

Would the journey itself be permitted by the cops? What happens if you hit a check point or get pulled on the motorway? They may say flying to see your daughter is not essential travel?
Old Apr 15th 2020, 7:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
The first question has to be the method of transport to the airport? I know the trains are very quiet right now according to the news and I think a number of services have been cancelled. With regards to a taxi cab/private car. Are you prepared to trust that the driver whom you will be with for around an hour or more is clear of corona because a lot of these cab drivers may not care about passing it on. They will just work even with the help the government is given out.

Would the journey itself be permitted by the cops? What happens if you hit a check point or get pulled on the motorway? They may say flying to see your daughter is not essential travel?
Well, I’m not flying to see my daughter. I’d stay with her for two weeks before going home to NYS. I’m trying to get home to New York. It’s just that I don’t want to get on to a connecting flight at Boston, because the flight to our neck of the woods in NY is a Cessna 402 which I’m not prepared to sit in for two hours in these times.

I agree, my question was partly about being allowed to drive from North Norfolk to LHR.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I’m not flying to see my daughter. I’d stay with her for two weeks before going home to NYS. I’m trying to get home to New York. It’s just that I don’t want to get on to a connecting flight at Boston, because the flight to our neck of the woods in NY is a Cessna 402 which I’m not prepared to sit in for two hours in these times.

I agree, my question was partly about being allowed to drive from North Norfolk to LHR.
Would seem to me that repatriating to the country you reside in would be a valid reason to be travelling to the airport to leave the UK.

Suppose you could call the local authorities and ask and see what they say.

Old Apr 15th 2020, 7:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think this is doable from a US perspective, but whether you can get to LHR might be the biggest challenge. And what happens if there are still restrictions in place when you want to return later in the year? .... Would you be "guilty" of travelling between two homes and potentially liable for a fixed penalty ticket?

Whether it is sensible from a personal health perspective is a different question, and one only you can answer.
Glad you said that, to me that’s the most important. Clearly we are both safer if we stay in place. However, if either of us get sick, we are not in a good situation since we are alone. So that’s the big dilemma.

As for getting back here, that’s not an issue - I wouldn’t try getting back here any time soon, unless things get better sooner than we all expect
Old Apr 15th 2020, 7:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Would seem to me that repatriating to the country you reside in would be a valid reason to be travelling to the airport to leave the UK.

Suppose you could call the local authorities and ask and see what they say.
Yes, I think this is right, thanks.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 7:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by lansbury
I think making the trip is feasible, but you will need to be expecting to cope with delays and less than smooth passage. With UK hotels closed not sure what happens if you get delayed at Heathrow, for example. Yesterday I was reading some speculation that once restrictions start to lift, social distancing might be required on board aircraft. Resulting in a lot less tickets being sold per flight at a much higher cost. If you travel now you might have unknown upheaval to cope with, if you stay tickets prices might be unaffordable for the leisure traveler for some time.
In your situation, where I assume your wife is in NY and you are in good health, I think I would fly now if you can. At least you have a good chance of being able to keep away from others as much as possible, and it does seem the BA flight to Boston is still operating. If you stay here it could well be into next year before things "improve". Guess it depends how risk adverse you and your wife are, which you choose.
Thanks for these insights lansbury. This is what I was wondering about flights now. I’d be prepared to pay for more space, but I really don’t want to sit on a crowded flight. You really can’t tell in advance.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 7:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Yup it looks like Cape Air are still flying their regular services to Lake Cleat and Ogdensburg. If I never have to sit in one of those Cessnas again I would be happy. $99, which is what they usually charge.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 7:55 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I’m thinking of booking something similar, Heathrow to Boston in a few weeks time. Hopefully my daughter could pick me up and I’d quarantine at her house for two weeks. I think one of the local car hire companies here at Norwich airport would drive me to Heathrow (I usually take bus - train - tube to get to LHR.)

Do you think these journeys are feasible & practical? My other option obviously is to stay in place here in Norfolk for - however long ..
Well I wouldn't have stumped up for Will's flight if I didn't think it was feasible! Joking aside, I think the most troublesome bit is likely to be his train journey from Swansea to Heathrow and if he has to accept a £30 penalty so be it, though he should be OK, I shall just tell him to be polite and not get argumentative over it. Once he reaches the USA and gets though immigration I will be a much happier parent.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

How is this journey in any way essential? You have a home in Norfolk where you could stay perfectly comfortably.

Old Apr 15th 2020, 8:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
How is this journey in any way essential? You have a home in Norfolk where you could stay perfectly comfortably.
Don't you ever read what everyone else has already posted? This has already been answered above.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Don't you ever read what everyone else has already posted? This has already been answered above.
Yes, I read what everyone else has already posted - I've picked you up when you have not understood the issue at hand a few times.

While the OP would like to get home to NYS if he could, he also has a HOME in Norfolk, where he spends many months per year. The OP actually says in one of his posts that his other option would be to just stay put in Norfolk and that both he and daughter would be safer if they both stayed in place (she sounds as though she lives in Boston)

So from an essential point of view, the trip does not sound essential. The OP would like to move from one residence to another - but he certainly does not have to.

I think my comment about being essential travel is perfectly reasonable under the circumstances.

Old Apr 15th 2020, 10:20 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Something else to consider what would a fine mean for breaching the lockdown? Would it affect your U..S immigration status? You have not in your posts in this thread said what that status is so I reply to this blind. Would it be a CIMT for instance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.