Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What Is Your Theory?

What Is Your Theory?

Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default What Is Your Theory?

My personal theory on the migration thingy is:......

There are many factors to consider, family,friends etc
work..
home...
area...
and you own general observation and attitude to change.

I know from my own experiences that it was not the country, nor the people. I am sure under different circumstance i could have made it in Canada. My kids never truly settled, therefore i had the emotional pressure.
My job was appalling,I had job pressure. Money pressure came with the job.
The whole relationship thingy did not help either. But I still would not have a negative opinion of Canada.
I never really had a negative attitude about the UK either. JUST DIFFERENT!
New experiences, new people and many new friends.
If we were able to use Doctor Who's Tardis and skip back and forth at different stages of our lives(and give it a try) then maybe we would all actually have a more general view.
IF's BUT's and MAYBE's! Hindsight is a wonderful thing at times. But it can also destroy a person's self!
It also comes down to the type of person we are. If we are able to adapt. If we make friends easy. If we have the confidence to get out there and go for it.
I will not judge others and i will not regret my time in Canada either. I have many new friends and alot of knowledge.

I have a fondness for both countries but then i was this way as a child! Always wanting to cut myself in half in order to do two things at the same time..

what is your theory?
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is Your Theory?

Originally Posted by babyblue

what is your theory?
I dont think you can tell in advance if immigration is for you, until you try it, and if you give it a shot and its not right, there is no shame in having tried it and decided to return to the UK.

So many things make a difference, but I think your Job is the biggest influence. That dictates so much, the people you meet, your income, your stress level etc etc. But even with a good job, there are still going to be people for whom immigration just isnt what they expect, or for whom its not the right thing, and thats just life.

Someone told me that there are no "good" or "bad" experiences, its just how you decide to react to something that dictates that, and we all have the power to take only the positive from any situation.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Heading home is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a lot depends on how happy you were with your life in the UK and what happens to you in your new country. Speaking personally, we had some unpleasant experiences when we first moved here and, although most of the things could just have easily happened to us in the UK, I think this colours your attitude. That said, we don't regret for one minute coming to the USA. We have had some wonderful times, met some great people and learnt a lot about ourselves.

Even though we are looking forward to returning to the UK next year, we would both be quite happy to live abroad again for a while, maybe in Europe or Canada, just for the experience. At the moment, I think the UK will always be home for me but, who knows, maybe we'll move somewhere else, fall in love with that place and want to spend our lives there.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Someone told me that there are no "good" or "bad" experiences, its just how you decide to react to something that dictates that, and we all have the power to take only the positive from any situation.
Couldn't agree more.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree.

I think you will find that how people feel about the above kind of statement depends to a large extent on what life has dealt them.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
I disagree.

I think you will find that how people feel about the above kind of statement depends to a large extent on what life has dealt them.
It is down to whether your attitude is positive or negative. Do you see the glass as half-full or half-empty. A person with a negative attitude will always see the worst in any situation and so makes the situation worse by refusing to see anything good.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
It is down to whether your attitude is positive or negative. Do you see the glass as half-full or half-empty. A person with a negative attitude will always see the worst in any situation and so makes the situation worse by refusing to see anything good.
That's true up to a point, of course. It's probably even true most of the time. What I mean is that some situations can go beyond the scope of positive thinking, so that no amount of attitude change or looking on the bright side will help. I'm not necessarily talking about myself here, by the way
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Exile
That's true up to a point, of course. It's probably even true most of the time. What I mean is that some situations can go beyond the scope of positive thinking, so that no amount of attitude change or looking on the bright side will help. I'm not necessarily talking about myself here, by the way
No, I know there are always exceptions to this and I thank God that I have never had to face the things that some people have to face.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that the major factor is the personality of the individual which is not too evident in these forums. Getting your first job is just a foothold so be flexible enough to change jobs and location etc.

Of course for someone who has is very opinionated, standoffish, hyper critical, negative or a Simon Cowell clone they are going to have a hard time.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sinope
I have always been a very positive thinker and if you read through my posts for the last three years you will see i had to fight all the way. I had the most challenging deck of cards handed to me when i arrived in Canada. But i still stayed and worked hard at making it!
It became a constant battle to even stay in the country. I have fought against all odds. I am a fighter and I still remain positive about Canada. As i said at the begining, A different time in my life and things could have been a world different.
Many people move abroad then return. Later they return to that country but much wiser of the pitfalls.
When circumstances challenge your every move! Even the strongest person can crash.
Also, it takes a positive minded person to make the move in the first place. If you are a negative thinker you will coward away from ever taking the plunge.
My own theory!