Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What would you do car swiped!

What would you do car swiped!

Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do car swiped!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Turns out my mechanic's brother is the contractor that works for Mercedes and does all the resprays etc .......done deal $150 cash see ya
Looks like new.
Wow...that sounds like a real bargain.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 10:48 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Wow...that sounds like a real bargain.
I know thats a result if ever I had one!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:19 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

So I go out to get in my car this morning and some A.hole has side swiped my left fender in the night and taken out the left side light, bulb intact....Paint work taken out!!

Is it worth calling insurance or would you just get it fixed!

$500 deductable.
In the UK you would invalidate your insurance if you didn't tell them, even though you weren't intending to claim. Not sure if it's different in the USA.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:56 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
In the UK you would invalidate your insurance if you didn't tell them, even though you weren't intending to claim. Not sure if it's different in the USA.
Bit late now!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
In the US you can call your insurance agent and tell him about the accident and ask whether it would be financially better to pay out of pocket or not. US insurance companies only care about the claims that you file and your driving record.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
In the US you can call your insurance agent and tell him about the accident and ask whether it would be financially better to pay out of pocket or not. US insurance companies only care about the claims that you file and your driving record.
And to honest how the heck would they know anyways!!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:52 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

And to honest how the heck would they know anyways!!
It can surface in later problems. I had perpetual rust problems on one door of my first car and when I took it in to try to get it completely redone the mechanic said it looked to be a bad patch job after some kind of accidental damage. I had run a carfax report on the car before buying and no evidence of claims arose, so it was (probably) an incident that was never reported.

Never did get the rust sorted out, but as it was the very bottom of the door I didn't much care.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:59 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Turns out my mechanic's brother is the contractor that works for Mercedes and does all the resprays etc .......done deal $150 cash see ya
Looks like new.
Result

PS You need to change your rainy message location thingy
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky
Result

PS You need to change your rainy message location thingy
Good catch
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
It can surface in later problems. I had perpetual rust problems on one door of my first car and when I took it in to try to get it completely redone the mechanic said it looked to be a bad patch job after some kind of accidental damage. I had run a carfax report on the car before buying and no evidence of claims arose, so it was (probably) an incident that was never reported.

Never did get the rust sorted out, but as it was the very bottom of the door I didn't much care.
CARFAX admits there are thousands and thousands of accidents each day that will never get reported to CARFAX. The reason is that insurance companies do not share accident information with CARFAX and there is no central database for accident reports. CARFAX also admit they have very little repair history on their vehicles. There is no central database for repairs on vehicles.

It is estimated that a third of all totaled vehicles on the road today will not have documentation showing the vehicle was totaled. There are also many ways to change, alter, or clean a vehicle's salvage title. If a vehicle's title was never changed to "salvage" then CARFAX will show it as a clean title.

A few years ago, State Farm Insurance totaled over 30,000 vehicles but never changed their titles to show the vehicles were totaled. Since the titles were never changed to salvage, CARFAX reports showed all these vehicles to have "clean" titles. Unethical repair shops bought these totaled vehicles and made cosmetic repairs and then sold these vehicles to the auctions and to the general public.

http://www.autopi.com/carfax.htm
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:23 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Good catch
How things change eh?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky
How things change eh?
This time last week we had the heat on and it was pissing down.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:32 pm

This time last week we had the heat on and it was pissing down.
Typical Brits, never happy with the weather