Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What would you do....

What would you do....

Old Jul 30th 2015, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do....

I missed my grandad's funeral because my husband didn't feel he could take the time off to watch the children and I had no one else to take care of them.

Instead I wrote down my thoughts about how much I adored my grandad and what an wonderful figure he'd been in my life, and someone else read them for me at the funeral.

I'm sorry for your loss xx
Old Jul 30th 2015, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with those who say, "Don't go". You respect your grandfather's memory; everybody in your family knows that; being at the funeral in person wouldn't change either of those facts, or enhance them.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Once again, thank you to everyone that has taken the time to add to this thread. It really is greatly appreciated. There's some great advice been given out.
So, my work has been great. I told my boss I was reluctant to leave our operation short during our manic week. His response, let me deal with that. He also told HR that I should go. That means a lot to know I seem to be working for a half decent employer. I am however swaying towards not going. My mother has offered to pay for my ticket. It's gonna be around 3.5k. That would pay for 2 trips over here to see her granddaughter. I know what my grandad would say about that.
I said previously, I like the idea of taking time out to do my own thing. I also like the idea of writing something down to have read out.
Once again, thanks again for all the words and advice.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 11:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Once again, thank you to everyone that has taken the time to add to this thread. It really is greatly appreciated. There's some great advice been given out.
So, my work has been great. I told my boss I was reluctant to leave our operation short during our manic week. His response, let me deal with that. He also told HR that I should go. That means a lot to know I seem to be working for a half decent employer. I am however swaying towards not going. My mother has offered to pay for my ticket. It's gonna be around 3.5k. That would pay for 2 trips over here to see her granddaughter. I know what my grandad would say about that.
I said previously, I like the idea of taking time out to do my own thing. I also like the idea of writing something down to have read out.
Once again, thanks again for all the words and advice.
Sounds like an understanding employer. Some years ago one of our members had been in the UK for Christmas and the NY. Shortly after she returned her father died. Her boss told her if she took any more time off she needn't come back. Nice eh?