Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What will you take back?

What will you take back?

Old Dec 29th 2007, 5:39 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default What will you take back?

I've seen a couple of threads in the past about what people wished they'd brought, or actually did, bring with them to their new country.
What do you plan to take back with you when you return to the UK?
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:41 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you take back?

Originally Posted by oldbag
I've seen a couple of threads in the past about what people wished they'd brought, or actually did, bring with them to their new country.
The sun
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:58 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't come with much and I don't intend to take much back with me.

I haven't accumulated much over the years -- lived a pretty minimalist existence -- so don't have a houseful of furnishings.

Books, CDs, clothing, some odds and ends I will ship over. I have a couple of pieces of artwork that I'll take with me.

I plan on getting what I need to set up house when I return -- shopping at thrift stores, begging or borrowing from family members.

I left my dog behind when I came over here. When I go back my dogs will go with me.

Sarah
Old Dec 30th 2007, 5:29 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I won't be taking much either. Just 3 of my favourite jigsaw puzzles (I had a box of them that weighed 27lb's but it's too expensive to ship when I can live without them), my clothes, some DVD's, a couple of pictures, and my dog. I'll be selling what furniture I have. Can't see the sense in spending all that money to ship it when it's probably too big for a UK house anyway.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Can't see the sense in spending all that money to ship it when it's probably too big for a UK house anyway.

My thoughts exactly. We intend to buy smaller when we go back so will probably only take around 5% of our current furniture etc. Will definitely take back our pictures and paintings though.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

We came back to the UK in April.
We shipped 20+ boxes.
A king size bed, and bedroom set.
A dining table and 6 chairs and a sideboard.
A rocking chair.

Was it worth it ......well depends on your point of view. The table and chairs dont fit into UK houses, the bed is ok as long as you like sleeping next to the walls !!!!

The rocking chair is bliss.

I wish I had bought more Ameican bedding, as its much more generous size wise, and there curtaines are better to .
Old Dec 31st 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

I worked this out the other week. We aren't moving back for another 2 1/2 years, and we intend to buy a small place here too, so that OH can keep his roots, but I like to be prepared. My daughter and I will start taking things back in suitcases this summer. Four suitcases this summer, 4 suitcases next summer. Clothes, pictures and a few ornaments. We will ship some pictures, a floor vase (which I refuse to part with), the Christmas decs (sentimental value) and some of daughter's toys. About half of the rest of the stuff will go into storage, and the rest given to Goodwill. We travel VERY light. Also, my OH is Hell to travel with, and gets upset if I take a carry on suitcase on holiday with me (in his world, I should be able to carry all my worldly goods in a large, spotted handerchief, dangling from the end of a stick on my shoulder) When the three of us actually make the journey, I expect my daughter and I to share one small suitcase. We are taking three cats with us, and I think we may sail to England. I am wondering if perhaps I can place OH in the kennels and keep the cats in the cabin. It would make my life more pleasant. We'll see...
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:12 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
I worked this out the other week. We aren't moving back for another 2 1/2 years, and we intend to buy a small place here too, so that OH can keep his roots, but I like to be prepared. My daughter and I will start taking things back in suitcases this summer. Four suitcases this summer, 4 suitcases next summer. Clothes, pictures and a few ornaments. We will ship some pictures, a floor vase (which I refuse to part with), the Christmas decs (sentimental value) and some of daughter's toys. About half of the rest of the stuff will go into storage, and the rest given to Goodwill. We travel VERY light. Also, my OH is Hell to travel with, and gets upset if I take a carry on suitcase on holiday with me (in his world, I should be able to carry all my worldly goods in a large, spotted handerchief, dangling from the end of a stick on my shoulder) When the three of us actually make the journey, I expect my daughter and I to share one small suitcase. We are taking three cats with us, and I think we may sail to England. I am wondering if perhaps I can place OH in the kennels and keep the cats in the cabin. It would make my life more pleasant. We'll see...
Do the cats travel well in the suitcase?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Do the cats travel well in the suitcase?
It'll be a bit of a squash with daughter and I already in the suitcase, but it won't be for long
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:30 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in the UK recently, I made a point of going out and looking at the price of replacing stuff if we deicded not to take it back with us. Boy oh boy have I changed my mind!! We werent going to take anything other than sentimental stuff, but after working out how much it would cost to fill a new home with the basic essentials as opposed to the cost of shipping it back. Shipping wins hands down!! We got a quote for $4000 as we dont have a huge amount just basic furniture and appliances plus a few sentinmental things in boxes, but just by shipping this back we will save around $20,000!!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:48 pm
itchy feet again!

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
When I was in the UK recently, I made a point of going out and looking at the price of replacing stuff if we deicded not to take it back with us. Boy oh boy have I changed my mind!! We werent going to take anything other than sentimental stuff, but after working out how much it would cost to fill a new home with the basic essentials as opposed to the cost of shipping it back. Shipping wins hands down!! We got a quote for $4000 as we dont have a huge amount just basic furniture and appliances plus a few sentinmental things in boxes, but just by shipping this back we will save around $20,000!!
A really helpful piece of information Fleafly....thanks. I went home for a visit in October, but I didn't have time to do any research. Hoping to go back this year.....oooh that sounds so much better than "next year".....and hadn't given a great deal of thought about what to take back.....hence my opening question.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:55 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
. . . after working out how much it would cost to fill a new home with the basic essentials as opposed to the cost of shipping it back. Shipping wins hands down!!
Definitely food for thought. Really, I don't currently own anything (furniture, appliances) that I think is worth shipping -- but I might look into buying some NEW stuff and shipping it over from here!!!

I've already been thinking about clothes I should buy over here to take back with me.

Sarah
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:31 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
Definitely food for thought. Really, I don't currently own anything (furniture, appliances) that I think is worth shipping -- but I might look into buying some NEW stuff and shipping it over from here!!!

I've already been thinking about clothes I should buy over here to take back with me.

Sarah
Hi Oldbag and Sarah

Yes, I was quite shocked when I did the sums. Admittedly a lot of our stuff is fairly new. Leather lounge suite onlt 1yr old and main appliances like washing machine,dryer, fridgefreezer no more than 2yrs old, so it is definitely worth it for us, but I also added in costs for smaller basics like kettle, coffee machine, blender, 4 sets of linen for our king size bed as i have to have the 1000 thread count linen due to a skin condition as it is much more comfortable for me (which is hard to find in uk) and lots of other bits and pieces and it added up to a small fortune paying UK pounds.
It might be a good idea to look on some UK websites for prices as you could well be surprised.
I have listed a couple of sample websites to give you a clue.

www.currys.co.uk

www.dfs.co.uk
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:26 am
Feels great to be home!

Thanks, Flea.

I must confess, I am rather hoping my family will help me out a bit too -- sort through their old stuff and find bits and bobs that I can use or will give me early birthday/Christmas presents. (I have a large family!)

Probably shouldn't count on that though . . .

Sarah
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:01 am
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

well we've only been here 6 months so were taking everything back including the bloody dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.