British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   What I like about America. [A politics-free thread] (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/what-i-like-about-america-%5B-politics-free-thread%5D-891924/)

SultanOfSwing Oct 2nd 2017 4:41 am

Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Originally Posted by dj6372 (Post 12350268)
Hotdogs, yes I know they are made from lips and a55h@les, the mustard is yellow nothingness, but I love the damned things!!

Oh and they give me heartburn..........................

Vienna Beef is where it's at. Hard to find outside Chicago though.

dc koop Oct 2nd 2017 5:10 am

The mountains at the back of my house and the sunsets

robin1234 Oct 2nd 2017 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12351376)

Hebrew National. Burnt to a crisp over real charcoal. Lots of Dijon mustard.

SultanOfSwing Oct 2nd 2017 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12351682)

Sounds good.

robin1234 Oct 2nd 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12351693)
Sounds good.

Hebrew national have a wonderful flavour. Problem is, it's probably totally unrelated to beef. :unsure:

SultanOfSwing Oct 2nd 2017 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12351717)
Hebrew national have a wonderful flavour. Problem is, it's probably totally unrelated to beef. :unsure:

Best not to think about that and just enjoy your hot dog :nod:

Nutmegger Oct 2nd 2017 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12351682)

All of the above, plus a nice squirt of sriracha and pita instead of a bun!

Maste Oct 2nd 2017 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12351376)

:goodpost: Haven't tasted a hot dog as good as a Chicago dog. Have you been to Rands in Chicago? 3 bucks for fries and a chicago dog. Bargain!

SultanOfSwing Oct 2nd 2017 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 12351737)
:goodpost: Haven't tasted a hot dog as good as a Chicago dog. Have you been to Rands in Chicago? 3 bucks for fries and a chicago dog. Bargain!

I'm about 60 miles away from Chicago so I only ever get takeaway from places close to me. Never had a bad Chicago style dog though.

The only place I've got takeaway from in Chicago itself is Al's Beef, which is the dog's bollocks I might add.

Maste Oct 2nd 2017 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12351748)
I'm about 60 miles away from Chicago so I only ever get takeaway from places close to me. Never had a bad Chicago style dog though.

The only place I've got takeaway from in Chicago itself is Al's Beef, which is the dog's bollocks I might add.

Al's Beef and Portillo's, both top notch. I always end up with an italian beef sandwich. Those things are something else :thumbsup: Nothing like this down in STL unfortunately :( They rave about a pizza place called IMO's but we tried a slice once and the cheese they use is disgusting.

SultanOfSwing Oct 2nd 2017 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 12351757)
Al's Beef and Portillo's, both top notch. I always end up with an italian beef sandwich. Those things are something else :thumbsup: Nothing like this down in STL unfortunately :( They rave about a pizza place called IMO's but we tried a slice once and the cheese they use is disgusting.

Usually every year on the Friday before Christmas at work we get a lunch ordered in catered by Portillo's :)

Sorry about the bad pizza in STL. Also, **** the Cards :sneaky:

Maste Oct 2nd 2017 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12351769)
Usually every year on the Friday before Christmas at work we get a lunch ordered in catered by Portillo's :)

Sorry about the bad pizza in STL. Also, **** the Cards :sneaky:

Now I'm jealous. I love a portillo's beef sandwich washed down with a cake shake :cool:

Pizza is that terrible here we have to resort to Papa Johns/Pizza Hut etc.. You know, ones that use normal pizza cheese!

SultanOfSwing Oct 2nd 2017 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 12351901)
Now I'm jealous. I love a portillo's beef sandwich washed down with a cake shake :cool:

Pizza is that terrible here we have to resort to Papa Johns/Pizza Hut etc.. You know, ones that use normal pizza cheese!

Pizza Hut isn't bad, especially if you want something quick and easy. I often wonder what I'd do if we moved too far out of the area (I could handle just over the line into WI because there are places close by) because I do love the wonderfully bad for you Chicago food.

That being said, as long as I could get decent Mexican food I'd probably (reluctantly) make it work.

Maste Oct 2nd 2017 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12351903)
Pizza Hut isn't bad, especially if you want something quick and easy. I often wonder what I'd do if we moved too far out of the area (I could handle just over the line into WI because there are places close by) because I do love the wonderfully bad for you Chicago food.

That being said, as long as I could get decent Mexican food I'd probably (reluctantly) make it work.

I didn't see the big deal of mexican food until I had actually tried it properly. And there's one 2 mins drive from our house that does taco Monday & Tuesday! $1 tacos, unlimited nachos and dip on the house, lime margarita's for 2 bucks. Love it :amen:

SultanOfSwing Oct 2nd 2017 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 12351985)
I didn't see the big deal of mexican food until I had actually tried it properly. And there's one 2 mins drive from our house that does taco Monday & Tuesday! $1 tacos, unlimited nachos and dip on the house, lime margarita's for 2 bucks. Love it :amen:

Same here. I never really gave it much thought actually, because I was never really exposed to it back home. As soon as I tried proper Mexican food here I was hooked.