British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   What I like about America. [A politics-free thread] (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/what-i-like-about-america-%5B-politics-free-thread%5D-891924/)

Pulaski Feb 21st 2017 12:03 am

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

We can all bang on about large houses, SUVs, cheap gas, and what-have-you, but what do you like about America?

Me, for starters? Steak for breakfast! :)

Jerseygirl Feb 21st 2017 12:06 am

Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12185297)
We can all bang on about large houses, SUVs, cheap gas, and what-have-you, but what do you like about America?

When I lived in NJ...it was Newark Airport! :thumbsup:

dc koop Feb 21st 2017 12:17 am

Waking up in the morning, looking through the kitchen window at the orange and lemon trees in the back yard and then a cup of coffee on the patio, watching the flocks of wild parrots pass overhead and the sun rising over the mountains in the distance. When I go out to pick up the morning paper in the driveway the smile and the wave from a neighbour

Pulaski Feb 21st 2017 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12185300)
When I lived in NJ...it was Newark Airport! .....

I hear it's lovely in the spring time. :lol:

Jerseygirl Feb 21st 2017 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12185309)
I hear it's lovely in the spring time. :lol:

Even better at 35,000 ft in the air.

tom169 Feb 21st 2017 12:26 am

I enjoy how green NC can be and so i'm looking forward to spring time where I can drive along wide roads neatly lined with trees.

I'm sure i'll also enjoy having a plethora of sights to see inside the country and the ease to do so (no forex, easy to hire car etc).

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 21st 2017 12:44 am

Larger selection of places to live offering more opportunity for affordable housing. Affordable flights and travel options. (Note I am comparing these to Canada.)

Boomhauer Feb 21st 2017 6:04 am

What I like about America:

1) Free Speech (no bloody hate-crime bs found in Europe and Canada)
2) Inexpensive cost of living compared to London and many other parts of the world
3) Lots of space .
A person on a working class or middle class paycheck can have a detached home with 2 car garage and lots of yard space. Enough space to build things, set up a hobby shop, work on cars, store recreational vehicles etc..

Having lived in a rowhouse in London and an apartment in the Gulf, I hate living soo close to other people and not having space to do stuff.

Asg123 Feb 21st 2017 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12185420)
A person on a working class or middle class paycheck can have a detached home with 2 car garage and lots of yard space.

Not possible on a working class minimum wage paycheck.

But to say "A person on a middle class paycheck can have a detached home with 2 car garage and lots of yard space" is true.

dj6372 Feb 21st 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12185297)

Smokey little rib shacks, and Taco street vendors!

Anrev Feb 21st 2017 7:15 am

Being able to park so easily at Publix compared to shoe horning my car into Tesco car park.
Also seeing cheeky raccoons and possums.

robin1234 Feb 21st 2017 7:41 am

In general, it'd be the natural world. In New York State I see bears, coyotes, moose, sugar maples and other spectacular fall foliage, loads of spectacular butterflies (monarchs & swallowtails for instance.) Red squirrels, flying squirrels and chipmunks on my deck. All kinds of peepers and tree frogs. Katydids. House crickets :unsure:. Birds (chickadees, robins, orioles, various warblers and finches for starters.)

We have rivers and ponds galore, many close to our house. And a lot of US ponds are bigger than the average British lake..

Wildlife downsides include mosquitoes, deer flies, black flies .....

Beaverstate Feb 21st 2017 8:23 am

My, 12 posts and still on topic, only in America :sarcasm:

rbackhouse Feb 21st 2017 10:30 am

The National Parks (especially Bryce and Zion)

Lion in Winter Feb 21st 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12185454)
In general, it'd be the natural world. In New York State I see bears, coyotes, moose, sugar maples and other spectacular fall foliage, loads of spectacular butterflies (monarchs & swallowtails for instance.) Red squirrels, flying squirrels and chipmunks on my deck. All kinds of peepers and tree frogs. Katydids. House crickets :unsure:. Birds (chickadees, robins, orioles, various warblers and finches for starters.)

We have rivers and ponds galore, many close to our house. And a lot of US ponds are bigger than the average British lake..

Wildlife downsides include mosquitoes, deer flies, black flies .....

Agreed. The physical landscape (not where I live but other bits) is the best thing. Old growth or near old growth forest in the Cascades, the mountains, the Pacific coast up north. There is beautiful scenery in the UK too, but it's harder to find the wild spaces.

chawkins99 Feb 21st 2017 12:06 pm

Sunshine.
Open space.
Big cars.
Cheap gas.
Sheer variety of the landscape.
Variety of food. Cheap cost of eating out.
The ability to drive all day and not get stuck in a traffic jam.

SultanOfSwing Feb 21st 2017 1:40 pm

Two words: National Parks.

I mean, just the massively diverse geography and landscape in general and the fact that you have a huge chunk of different climate zones and geographical regions all in one country but the National Parks are an absolute treasure and all Americans, transplanted or natural born should be incredibly proud of them. I've only visited three so far and I'm hooked for more. Mountains, forests, caves, volcanoes, huge great cacti, massive geological formations, it's got the lot.

I also like the almost obsession with landscaping and 'making everything look nice'. You know you aren't going to have the old town walls and architecture that you would find in Europe so for me, at least, it's nice to see the beautification approach to even simple things like strip malls and car parks. I'm kind of biased because of my line of work, but I've come to appreciate it along the way. Bonus points for the use of native plants as well.

What else? The Interstate Highway System is pretty cool when it's not blanketed in orange cones.

Anian Feb 21st 2017 3:34 pm

Don't have to pay to park everywhere.
Only a short drive from true wilderness.

ian-mstm Feb 21st 2017 4:19 pm

This quote from the Right Stuff sums it up for me: I just thank god I live in a country where the best and the finest in a man can be brought out.

Ian

Leslie Feb 21st 2017 6:44 pm

Politics.

Weeze Feb 21st 2017 7:42 pm

That when I need to buy mulch someone loads it into the car for me.
Never having to pack up my grocery bags
Swim season lasting 7 months (obviously this one is area specific � ����)

Mark callaway Feb 21st 2017 7:57 pm

This woman's eyes :D

https://image.ibb.co/kfBffa/Untitled.png
http://imgur.com/a/C2PjJ

tonrob Feb 21st 2017 8:05 pm

Free public toilets.

Mark callaway Feb 21st 2017 8:35 pm

Since it is a political thread and to tease some Narcissist BEs :p

I want to add the American Revolutionary War, or the Independence day from Great Britain :rofl:

tom169 Feb 21st 2017 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mark callaway (Post 12186042)
Since it is a political thread and to tease some Narcissist BEs :p

The thread title states the exist opposite...

Mark callaway Feb 21st 2017 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12186047)
The thread title states the exist opposite...

Holy Shite :lol: I cannot speak English for real :lol:

:ohmy::ohmy::(

Nutmegger Feb 21st 2017 9:11 pm

Looking out of my window at the deer ambling down to the river for a drink (as I am doing right now), or watching a fox trotting through the woods going about his business. Not so much, finding a big plump raccoon on top of the railing about to descend into the dogs' fenced-off yard a couple of days ago! Mayhem would have ensued if he'd succeeded. . .

mrken30 Feb 21st 2017 9:45 pm

C-Span

Hiro11 Feb 21st 2017 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12185675)
Two words: National Parks.

Surely Blarney Island is the greatest attraction in the US.

mrken30 Feb 21st 2017 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99 (Post 12185624)
Sunshine.
Open space.
Big cars.
Cheap gas
Sheer variety of the landscape.
Variety of food. Cheap cost of eating out.
The ability to drive all day and not get stuck in a traffic jam.

That sounds like a great country, unfortunately I don't live there. Sort of have big spaces, but they are full of trees.
Amazing the variety of different experiences. I guess you would get similar if you asked people what do you like about Europe.

ian-mstm Feb 22nd 2017 12:34 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12186124)
That sounds like a great country, unfortunately I don't live there.

You should move!

Ian

Boomhauer Feb 22nd 2017 4:49 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12186197)
You should move!

Ian

It don't get much better than Oregon . Mild weather, great public transport and civic design in Portland and surrounding areas. Gorgeous coast.

robin1234 Feb 22nd 2017 7:27 am

Libraries, both public libraries and academic ones (which are very often freely accessible to members of the public.)

In my small town in northern New York (100 sq miles, 10,000 population) there are actually three separate & independent public libraries, in each of the three villages. Largely dependent on volunteer effort and the wisdom & goodwill of local taxpayers (who are pretty poor by national standards.)

There's also an excellent college library, fully available to the public, with a collection of several million books and many thousands of periodical subscriptions.

Redwing Feb 22nd 2017 1:02 pm

The long growing season; watching the deer stroll through the front yard in to the woods at the back; having a much bigger yard than I did in the UK; picking blueberries; living in a small town and going to a well stocked library.

Bob Feb 22nd 2017 1:26 pm

Sounds like I need to not be living in the burbs of MA, as this huge country is clearly showing how it is not like that around here :)

I like PBS.

I like how affordable lobster is from a dodgy shack on the side of the road in Maine is and now much nicer it tastes compared to other places I have had it and the cold water Maine shrimp is lovely though I don't like how it's 60c a pound up there and $6 a pound down my way for the uncooked/shelled stuff.

I like that you can be a couple of hours from the mountains for hiking/skiing/biking and the coast. It being to expensive to enjoy any of those benefits local to me puts a digger in it, but it was much more doable when we lived in Maine.

Boobs on motorway billboards and other crazy adverts. Because the more bonkers they are, the more amusing they tend to me. Driving along and seeing a "god is all loving, go to this church", followed by "gays will burn in hell", then "$5 nude dances at the club", with a hospital maternityward advert, etc. You just don't get that kind of fun anywhere else I don't think.

The classic cars, especially the old muscle cars. They're great.

SultanOfSwing Feb 22nd 2017 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 12186102)
Surely Blarney Island is the greatest attraction in the US.

I've not actually been there, so I wouldn't know :lol:

Rete Feb 22nd 2017 1:58 pm

I like that America is a large country geographically and that different climates can be found in so many of the states. Much like the EU, you can pick up sticks and move from the cold and long winters of the NE to the warm and balmy shores of Hawaii or head south the Keys and still be within the US. America has such a wide range of landscapes from mountains to desserts, great lakes, mighty rivers, two oceans and a gulf, and citizens and immigrants from every corner of the world. It is still young and vibrant and falls on its face as often as a toddler learning to walk but it continues to get up on its feet and stumbles ahead. One day she will find her steady feet and will stand tall. She lacks the old architecture and history of much of the world and like a child wants the new and the shiny. She will grow up one day.

Hiro11 Feb 22nd 2017 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12186758)
I've not actually been there, so I wouldn't know :lol:

You're missing out, my friend.

SultanOfSwing Feb 22nd 2017 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 12186788)
You're missing out, my friend.

Quite possibly. I don't really go out much though, unless I'm playing somewhere.

chawkins99 Feb 22nd 2017 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12186749)
Sounds like I need to not be living in the burbs of MA, as this huge country is clearly showing how it is not like that around here :)

I like PBS.

I like how affordable lobster is from a dodgy shack on the side of the road in Maine is and now much nicer it tastes compared to other places I have had it and the cold water Maine shrimp is lovely though I don't like how it's 60c a pound up there and $6 a pound down my way for the uncooked/shelled stuff.

I like that you can be a couple of hours from the mountains for hiking/skiing/biking and the coast. It being to expensive to enjoy any of those benefits local to me puts a digger in it, but it was much more doable when we lived in Maine.

Boobs on motorway billboards and other crazy adverts. Because the more bonkers they are, the more amusing they tend to me. Driving along and seeing a "god is all loving, go to this church", followed by "gays will burn in hell", then "$5 nude dances at the club", with a hospital maternityward advert, etc. You just don't get that kind of fun anywhere else I don't think.

The classic cars, especially the old muscle cars. They're great.

There's a sign in Alabama on the side of I-65 which reads "Go to church or the devil will get you."