British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/what-have-u-cut-back-cancelled-light-economic-situation-590368/)

VeeGee Feb 16th 2009 2:14 pm

Re: What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

Oh joy for being in FL! Even when my co-workers were moaning about the sub-40 temps last week I refused to put any heat on....just seems crazy to me! ;)

Steerpike Feb 16th 2009 4:54 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Speaking of being cold, etc ... does anyone else here use a good old-fashioned hot water bottle? I do ... I prefer it to an electric blanket. The one I brought with me decades ago finally disintegrated and I had my mum bring over two new ones when she visited last year ... good-old boots brand!

(while looking for a photo to post in this thread, I learned that the ones I have are being recalled :( :( )

cindyabs Feb 16th 2009 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 7292140)
Why not 45?

Heat set at 45? :confused:

bevinva Feb 16th 2009 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 7292156)
yea..I was lucky last week, our temps were around 65 which was great I didn't have to put the heating on all week..(the house slowly warmed up during the day and stayed warm during the night)..

this week's going to be tough, like you our temps are supposed to be between 34-45 but I'm being seriously cheap and set our thermostat to 62 for the night and quite possibly the day too...if I can't get away with turning it off..:(

I cut the heat back at night too. During the day I can throw some wood on the fire and use the blower to heat the most lived in areas of the house. Our electric rates went up last July by 18%, on top of that I've used lots more this year than last, has it really been that much colder?

cindyabs Feb 16th 2009 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 7293411)
I cut the heat back at night too. During the day I can throw some wood on the fire and use the blower to heat the most lived in areas of the house. Our electric rates went up last July by 18%, on top of that I've used lots more this year than last, has it really been that much colder?

We've had more days strung together that were cold this year I think.

tamms_1965 Feb 16th 2009 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 7293418)
We've had more days strung together that were cold this year I think.

We've been using the converted gas fireplaces more this year to heat up just the main living areas at night. We have no kids at home and don't mind cutting the heat down low when we sleep either. Our electric rates were also jacked up about 15% to help pay for the storm damage this past fall.

another bloody yank Feb 16th 2009 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7290452)
I'm buying twin bladed razors instead of the triple bladed Mach 3s.

I quit buying razors alltogether.:lol:

chartreuse Feb 17th 2009 1:56 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7293528)

Yes, we know. And very scary survivalist type you look as a result.:D

Janek66 Feb 17th 2009 3:14 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7293528)

Helps keep you warm, that will cut down on your heating bill.

We turned our heat down to 68 and I am bloody freezing all day long....I couldn't cope at 65, would stay in bed all the time.

another bloody yank Feb 17th 2009 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Janek66 (Post 7294168)
Helps keep you warm, that will cut down on your heating bill.

We turned our heat down to 68 and I am bloody freezing all day long....I couldn't cope at 65, would stay in bed all the time.

We keep our heat set at 64, but if I turn on the blower on the woodstove it'll get up to 80 or so.

Janek66 Feb 17th 2009 3:23 am

No blower, no woodstove, crappy WV house with walls like sieves and little or no insulation. Thank god I have curtains and a heated floor in the family room.

another bloody yank Feb 17th 2009 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Janek66 (Post 7294196)
No blower, no woodstove, crappy WV house with walls like sieves and little or no insulation. Thank god I have curtains and a heated floor in the family room.

We have curtains in MO, but what's a heated floor? The only time I've seen people around here heat floors it's been hot water circulating in flexible pipe under the shop floor so it's warm when you lay on it.

Janek66 Feb 17th 2009 3:47 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7294265)
We have curtains in MO, but what's a heated floor? The only time I've seen people around here heat floors it's been hot water circulating in flexible pipe under the shop floor so it's warm when you lay on it.

Ours is electric. It looks a bit like a pad of wire wool, bout 1/2 inch thick maybe. Our floor is tiled, the mat was layed on the "Durarock' the mud slapped on top of that then the tiles layed. Then its connected to a thermastat on the wall so you can set temp and times you want the floor on. It is 12' x 12'. The tile doesn't really feel warm to the touch (we have the floor set at 72) but you can feel it radiating through your socks. For us, the family room has one of those vaulted ceilings, all the heat goes up there. So the floor helps take the edge off. Apparently it uses the same amount of electricity as a light buld and certainly didn't add anything noticeable to the electric bill. www.nuheat.com

Ray Feb 17th 2009 4:03 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7294265)
, but what's a heated floor? .

This floor is heated

https://www.exelement.co.uk/images/products/191_1.jpg

meauxna Feb 17th 2009 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Janek66 (Post 7294288)
Ours is electric. It looks a bit like a pad of wire wool, bout 1/2 inch thick maybe. Our floor is tiled, the mat was layed on the "Durarock' the mud slapped on top of that then the tiles layed. Then its connected to a thermastat on the wall so you can set temp and times you want the floor on.

We just put that in in our new bathroom, which is partially built on a cantilever (about 20" of floor is 'hanging' over the edge of the house). I've been really worried about that room being too cold because we didn't add heat, and it's doing just great!
I sorta thought it would be warm-warm under your feet, but we keep ours at about 72 also and it's just a nice temp. Too soon to tell on the electric bill. :unsure: