British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/what-have-u-cut-back-cancelled-light-economic-situation-590368/)

Optimus Prime Feb 13th 2009 1:51 am

Re: What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7281847)
from wiki

In recent years, the consumption of orange roughy has risen drastically due to increased supply through previously impossible deep-sea trawling techniques. Its recovery rate from fishing is slow because of its life cycle and sporadic reproduction making the fish incredibly prone to overfishing. It is the first commercially sought fish to be added to Australia's list of endangered species because of overfishing. [3] According to sustainable seafood guides, such as Seafood Watch (USA), the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand [4], the Marine Conservation Society (UK), [5], the orange roughy is currently on the list of fish that consumers should avoid the most.

So what?? Its cheap and tastes like chicken.

Steerpike Feb 13th 2009 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime (Post 7281966)
So what?? Its cheap and tastes like chicken.

If it tastes like chicken you aren't cooking it right :)

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7281847)
from wiki

In recent years, the consumption of orange roughy has risen drastically due to increased supply through previously impossible deep-sea trawling techniques. Its recovery rate from fishing is slow because of its life cycle and sporadic reproduction making the fish incredibly prone to overfishing. It is the first commercially sought fish to be added to Australia's list of endangered species because of overfishing. [3] According to sustainable seafood guides, such as Seafood Watch (USA), the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand [4], the Marine Conservation Society (UK), [5], the orange roughy is currently on the list of fish that consumers should avoid the most.

I'll have to look into that; I bought Orange Roughy for the first time last week and don't want to contribute to problems :)

Manc Feb 13th 2009 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 7283386)
If it tastes like chicken you aren't cooking it right :)

I'll have to look into that; I bought Orange Roughy for the first time last week and don't want to contribute to problems :)

I wasn't being a self righteous prick... someone pointed it out to me after I extolled the orange roughy virtues.

basically from what I understand, as there is hardly any nutrient runoff from the infertile soil of Australia, the fish are slow maturing and an age of 150 years for the fish is not uncommon.

henceforth, if we eat them in large numbers, they won't have time to replenish their stocks.

ironporer Feb 14th 2009 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7283908)
I wasn't being a self righteous prick... someone pointed it out to me after I extolled the orange roughy virtues.

basically from what I understand, as there is hardly any nutrient runoff from the infertile soil of Australia, the fish are slow maturing and an age of 150 years for the fish is not uncommon.

henceforth, if we eat them in large numbers, they won't have time to replenish their stocks.

Right, we should all eat Chilean Sea bass and Sword fish.

cindyabs Feb 14th 2009 2:23 am

Originally Posted by ironporer (Post 7284828)
Right, we should all eat Chilean Sea bass and Sword fish.

Swordfish with a tiny bit of Worcestershire sauce and lemon-YES! :thumbup:

Steerpike Feb 14th 2009 9:10 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 7284832)
Swordfish with a tiny bit of Worcestershire sauce and lemon-YES! :thumbup:

Yum! :thumbsup:

We've been simplifying our marinade to simply soy sauce and black pepper. I'll have to try Worcestershire sauce again.

The biggest surprise to me has been Red Snapper. After paying around $20/lb for fresh halibut and tuna (for really good stuff, admittedly, from our local high-quality store), we tried snapper at around $7/lb and I love it! It's very versatile and not quite so picky about cooking time.

I'm really getting into fish these days! :)

mikehope Feb 15th 2009 8:15 am

We are in a fortunate situation that we have not need to cut back on anything, Both our cars are paid for by the company, so we are fine for right now.

VeeGee Feb 15th 2009 11:52 am

We have started paying more attention to what is on special at the supermarket, as opposed to what we want ;)

Also, don't know if anyone else is down in So Fl, but I'm sure there are similar websites country-wide, we have started buying gift certificates for restaurants from http://southfloridadines.com

You can buy certificates for at least 50% off face value. So I recently bought $100 worth of certificates for our regular Sunday breakfast place for $50! So I get to feel less guilt for spending money on our fun rituals, AND my jewish MIL thinks i'm a GENIUS!! :rofl:

Cape Blue Feb 15th 2009 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7283908)

Best scoff what you can whilst they are still around then ;)

Juswus Feb 16th 2009 1:50 am

we've cut back on heat :(

penguinsix Feb 16th 2009 2:14 am

I'm buying twin bladed razors instead of the triple bladed Mach 3s.

I also joined Amazon Prime and started ordering darn near everything we need to be delivered (free shipping) instead of driving to the store.

lisag8070 Feb 16th 2009 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 7290381)
we've cut back on heat :(

same here...especially after the last heating bill I got..:(

cindyabs Feb 16th 2009 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 7291693)
same here...especially after the last heating bill I got..:(

We have too-have had the heat off at night when it was above 45. Tonight it's supposed to get down to 33, so heat's on, but set at 66.

Norri Feb 16th 2009 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 7292126)
We have too-have had the heat off at night when it was above 45. Tonight it's supposed to get down to 33, so heat's on, but set at 66.

Why not 45?

lisag8070 Feb 16th 2009 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 7292126)

yea..I was lucky last week, our temps were around 65 which was great I didn't have to put the heating on all week..(the house slowly warmed up during the day and stayed warm during the night)..

this week's going to be tough, like you our temps are supposed to be between 34-45 but I'm being seriously cheap and set our thermostat to 62 for the night and quite possibly the day too...if I can't get away with turning it off..:(