Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What does Boxing Day mean to you?

Wikiposts

Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:40 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does Boxing Day mean to you?

My boxing day is pretty much like everybody elses......recovering from the day before.....groaning at the thought of eating more turkey...(unless its in a curry mind)....drinking whatever is leftover from the day before (and checking to see if we got any more wine as presents) all whilst vegging out infront of the TV watching the usual xmas crap thats on...

and of course totally pigging out on all the chocolate from selection boxes my daughter gets...

It's going to be different this year as were not going home....so were going to try and have a party and invite all our friends....it won't be the same....but I don't mind as long as we share it with our friends and have a good ol' knees up..
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:58 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

I love boxing day and it is one of the reasons that I can't ever see myself staying in the USA over Christmas despite my intention to move there shortly.

When I was 10 (sisters 8 and 7) m parents got divorced so Christmas Day was always my Mum's day and Boxing Day my Dad's day. My Dad never celebrated Christmas Day on the actual day (because without your kids I guess it lost something for him) but we did a full new Christmas dinner and all the trimmings on boxing day along with the obligatory presents in the morning etc etc. Brilliant, was the best thing to come out of the parents' divorce which was a little traumatic otherwise!

Now I'm 25, and Boxing Day is still "Dad's day". He celebrates Christmas on Christmas Day now with his wife and my new 6 year old sister, but on boxing day we all go to his for games, few beers, nice turkey/masheed potato leftovers and lots of 'crap' to eat. It is amazing. For me, Christmas day lasts from the morning of Christmas Eve until the morning of the 27th and THEN recovery begins...

I guess I am lucky to have come from a "broken home" but family has always meant more to me than anything else and I never feel this more than Christmas.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:38 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Do you get quality street here then????? Yaaay, Christmas is saved!!!
No, I order my selection from Tesco's and have them and other stuff shipped to my sisters house. She goes to the post office and ships it over in a strong cardboard box(es) with lots of wrapping. It's MUCH cheaper than everyone realizes. Takes about 7-10 days, sometimes it's taken 5!!!!

Sure Large Tins of quality street are quite heavy but STILL a LOT less than the double/triple prices you'd pay in the USA for a small box of Quality Street.

Goto to the UK POst Office web site and run the numbers.. $36 for about 60 pounds in weight.. the 2 pounds tins at Tesco are about $10... http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw...diaId=25900670

It's Christmas... go treat youself
Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:06 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britinsac

The end of Christmas Day, and all the false, monumental, commercial crap that leads up to it! I prefer New Year's Day, thoughts of New Year, Spring-tide and longer daylight hours.

Perhaps I'm an oddity.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Boxing Day in the UK meant having more family and/or friends over, eating the leftovers, drinking beer and watching Bond or similar on the telly most of the day, playing daft games, followed by more beers in the pub that night. No-one I knew would be at work, and most people were off until after New Year. Great time to be home in the village, catching up with everyone both local and those of us who worked and lived away.

Here, boxing day generally consists of moaning to everyone who will listen how shit it is that Boxing day doesnt exist and there is no Christmas Sprit in this country. Most people I know are back at work - what a joke. Heck, Christmas day often isn't much better - it often consists of us or family frantically travelling the hour or so to whoevers house Christmas is at, rushing through a meal or something that is most unlike Christmas dinner in the UK, before rushing off back again. Rush, rush, rush. Last year I forced a UK Christmas on everyone (as it was at our house) - I think they enjoyed it, but still had to rush off somewhere because they had so much to do before getting ready for work the next day.

I really, really do not like Christmas time over here - I've spent four here now and all I can think of is how much fun, and how relaxed, everyone in the UK will be and how they will all be enjoying it. Bloody hell, I've had far better Christmases in Afghanistan, Bosnia and Kosvo than I have here.

My wife, having spent a couple of years in the UK at Chrsitmas, knows what I'm talking about - from the inlaws, I get a lot of blank looks and I think I come right to the verge of offending them.

Last edited by Dan725; Nov 16th 2007 at 1:19 am.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:23 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

One of my closest friends was over for Christmas two years after we moved here. I remember him saying to us - hey, let's have a bbq so I can meet some of your new friends. It was a week before Christmas. I said to him..are you mad? You can't invite people over same day throughout the year, never mind a week before Christmas.

The time a week before TG to December 26th is just crazy. Everyone runs around like chickens without heads. It is a nightmare. Some years I enjoy it more than others.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:37 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Boxing day was always the more relaxed day - christmas day was always a bit stressed with mum wanting to make it perfect, doing the proper christmas lunch etc etc,

boxing day was when other rellies came round, people would bring different dishes, we'd all pile in and have a raucous lunch and a drunken afternoon, great fun.

Now out here - its eating turkey and cranberry toasted sandwiches, going down the beach with the kids and their new toys, and feeling maudlin that christmas came and went so fast again!

we;ve ordered a load of english christmas stuff from the states which is being shipped as we speak so I'm looking forward to gettting advent calenders, chrissy puds, mince pies, crackers etc - all of which we cant get here. To the locals christmas day means nothing, no decorations as such, so we make our own little christmas grotto in our house and its lovely
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:56 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I love Boxing Day.
More lovely food, tree presents, visitors and visiting. Long walk on the beach with the dog.
We still "do" boxing day here but with no visitors because everyone has gone back to work and no beach because there isn't one.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 5:56 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Get up cooked breakie.
Down pub with mates watch my beloved team one more for the road then home for Turkey Vindaloo.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:02 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I tend to enjoy Christmas much more here than I did in Africa. It is so hot over Christmas in the southern hemisphere, that though you do try to make an effort, it is just not the same.

Originally Posted by islandmom
Boxing day was always the more relaxed day - christmas day was always a bit stressed with mum wanting to make it perfect, doing the proper christmas lunch etc etc,

boxing day was when other rellies came round, people would bring different dishes, we'd all pile in and have a raucous lunch and a drunken afternoon, great fun.

Now out here - its eating turkey and cranberry toasted sandwiches, going down the beach with the kids and their new toys, and feeling maudlin that christmas came and went so fast again!

we;ve ordered a load of english christmas stuff from the states which is being shipped as we speak so I'm looking forward to gettting advent calenders, chrissy puds, mince pies, crackers etc - all of which we cant get here. To the locals christmas day means nothing, no decorations as such, so we make our own little christmas grotto in our house and its lovely
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

JacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud of

Boxing Day over here is when I get to have my "Christmas" with the kids. They have Christmas Day with their in-laws, and I reserve the 26th for me.
Turkey dinner with all the trimming etc. I sell British stuff at my store so I always make sure there are plenty of Christmas Crackers, Puddings, Mince pies and Chocolates for the family.
My kids grew up wearing those silly crepe paper hats during Christmas Dinner, and now the grandkids have to endure it. Hey, its only one day out of the year. I just wish I had some dandelion and burdock to drink. My brother and I used to mix it together with Tizer, yummy.
Oh, I forgot, the Bristol Cream comes out too.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:10 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Used to love Boxing Day ....wake up late ....shit/shower/shave...then off to the pub for the best day of the year. Everybody was always in a good mood ...hand shakes and laughter all round. Loads of great sport ....merrily wander home late evening for a snooze and a Carry On film .....

For the last 2 years it has meant getting up at 4.30am and going to work.....Along with Good Friday its a real bummer
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
Used to love Boxing Day ....wake up late ....shit/shower/shave...then off to the pub for the best day of the year. Everybody was always in a good mood ...hand shakes and laughter all round. Loads of great sport ....merrily wander home late evening for a snooze and a Carry On film .....

For the last 2 years it has meant getting up at 4.30am and going to work.....Along with Good Friday its a real bummer
I've never worked a boxing day here....bloody refuse to. But, the last two years I did have to take one of my 10 days off for the year for that privilege.....and there was noone to go to the pub with either
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JacknJill
Boxing Day over here is when I get to have my "Christmas" with the kids. They have Christmas Day with their in-laws, and I reserve the 26th for me.
Turkey dinner with all the trimming etc. I sell British stuff at my store so I always make sure there are plenty of Christmas Crackers, Puddings, Mince pies and Chocolates for the family.
My kids grew up wearing those silly crepe paper hats during Christmas Dinner, and now the grandkids have to endure it. Hey, its only one day out of the year. I just wish I had some dandelion and burdock to drink. My brother and I used to mix it together with Tizer, yummy.
Oh, I forgot, the Bristol Cream comes out too.
OMG Paper hats! - yes my wife insists that everyone wears one.. I hate it because they always make me hot and and I end up with a green forehead, but out of all of us the missus always starts and ends the day with the stupid thing still perched on her head. Paper hats out of crackers.. that has to be a British thing doesn't it? And doing the heimlich manouevre on the dog because he ate all the prizes that flew out onto the floor...
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
No, I order my selection from Tesco's and have them and other stuff shipped to my sisters house. She goes to the post office and ships it over in a strong cardboard box(es) with lots of wrapping. It's MUCH cheaper than everyone realizes. Takes about 7-10 days, sometimes it's taken 5!!!!

Sure Large Tins of quality street are quite heavy but STILL a LOT less than the double/triple prices you'd pay in the USA for a small box of Quality Street.

Goto to the UK POst Office web site and run the numbers.. $36 for about 60 pounds in weight.. the 2 pounds tins at Tesco are about $10... http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw...diaId=25900670

It's Christmas... go treat youself
Boy! You must love your chocolate!!!

Must admit the idea of going online buying everything from Tescos that i would have bought last year (such as crappy crackers, frosted panettone, bakewell tarts, mince pies, cadburys roses etc etc) and having it all delivered in one job, lot does sound rather appealing!

Why oh why don't grocery stores do on-line shopping in this country??? Just the thought of doing the "big" shop a week before Christmas fills me with dread! I used to have my Christmas delivery slot booked back in October in the UK!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.