Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What does Boxing Day mean to you?

Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of
Default What does Boxing Day mean to you?

Not many people over here celebrate Boxing Day. It's a really really (yes really) important day for my family. In fact we look forward to it more than Christmas Day.

Flavours of Boxing Day in our house:

Waking up early - light a fire.
Cook full English Breakfast - the works with bangers from British Butchers online, black pudding, eggs, toms, mushrooms, toast and marmalade.. lashings of hot tea.

Clear up and take the dogs for a walk.. (used to be we would go to the pub for a few - not any more).

Prepare lunch of Cold Turkey and Boiled Gammon Ham with Bubble and Squeak, piccalilli and cranberry sauce. Cold stuffing balls, and coleslaw..

Clear up and then we do tree presents.. Which have absolutely nothing to do with a tree (oak or otherwise). Every year each person in my family visiting for Boxing day would buy 3 small gifts for every other member of the family. We just write the name on the wrapping paper of each recipient and they all get thrown in a large box in the middle of the room. With 20 people, you do the math, but each person ends up with about 19 times 3 gifts (unless someone cheats- mum always throws in some extras). The kids love to sit by the box and hand them out so everyone gets one gift at a time. Then we all open it together..It's hilarious.. figuring out who gave what to who etc. The gifts range from the humorous (fart pills etc) to the useful (soap - for the kids haha) and none of them should cost more than a dollar or two. We pass several hours with this..

Then it's time to eat again! English Trifle and homemade Mince Pies, and sherry for the old gal.

Followed by pass the parcel.. (no one knows what that is here) .. charades, musical statues.. until we are all tired.. time for a Christmas movie and a snooze..

When we wake up its Cold Turkey Sandwich time with the thinnest of white sliced bread..and wallied (dill pickles) a cup of tea and family talk about what a wonderful Christmas it has been again.

We try to do Boxing Day every year.. family is thin on the ground so British and American friends are always welcome to make up the numbers..

Boxing Day.. a traditional day for giving gifts from the gentry to the servants - modified for my family to give small gifts that have a great deal of thought put into them.. a day of laughter fun and togetherness - our family Thanksgiving.

Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does Boxing Day mean to you?

Originally Posted by Britinsac
back to work...and not be productive because I'll be a fat bloater
Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
back to work...and not be productive because I'll be a fat bloater
Well I guess with you at work, and no one else replying.. it's still just me and mine celebrating. I guess I am a lone Boxing Day fan :-(
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well I guess with you at work, and no one else replying.. it's still just me and mine celebrating. I guess I am a lone Boxing Day fan :-(
well the missus isn't getting it off, so we've got a 5 odd hour drive back after x-mas din, so I might as well head into work as I've got to drop her off at work anyway.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm... Boxing Day.

Wake up still stuffed from the day before. (Stuffed in the foody sense - nothing rude now chaps!)

Washing up still to do from yesterday. Wads of wrapping paper all over the floor. The slightly pungent aroma of "fart" hanging in the air - I blame the dog - he always finds his way into the leftovers!

Cold turkey to look forward to for lunch (with lashings of good old Hellmanns!)

Settle down and watch the oft repeated Wizard Of Oz and then the Eastenders omnibus!

Memories... la la la la la... Memories!!!

Dread to think what it'll be like this year. No family over. No decent food in the fridge. Nothing to watch on telly but erectile dysfunction adverts!! Can't bloody wait!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:26 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I celebrate Boxing Day every year as it's my birthday
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:26 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the fully monty on the breakfast. Shortly after breakfast, probably start drinking - rarely during breakfast anyway

Mucnh chocolates/quality street/nuts through to lunch.. Maybe watch a movie..

Lunch (around 2pm) consists of LOTS of mash pots, reheated veg from christmas day and cold meats, HAM, TURKEY etc., and HP sauce for Me and pickled beetroot and PICALLLI for the misses. Couple of bottles of wine...

Sleep probably for an hour but wake up to start drinking and eating in time for dinner.. probably turkey and branston sandwiches. More quliaty street more drinking.

Play chirades (all pissed), scattergories, and all that.. and carry on drinking....

Perfect day... ended with a nightcap or two
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Yep, the fully monty on the breakfast. Shortly after breakfast, probably start drinking - rarely during breakfast anyway

Mucnh chocolates/quality street/nuts through to lunch.. Maybe watch a movie..

Lunch (around 2pm) consists of LOTS of mash pots, reheated veg from christmas day and cold meats, HAM, TURKEY etc., and HP sauce for Me and pickled beetroot and PICALLLI for the misses. Couple of bottles of wine...

Sleep probably for an hour but wake up to start drinking and eating in time for dinner.. probably turkey and branston sandwiches. More quliaty street more drinking.

Play chirades (all pissed), scattergories, and all that.. and carry on drinking....

Perfect day... ended with a nightcap or two
Do you get quality street here then????? Yaaay, Christmas is saved!!!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Do you get quality street here then????? Yaaay, Christmas is saved!!!
It can be found if you know where to look. You'll also be able to order it on the net.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It can be found if you know where to look. You'll also be able to order it on the net.
Now that would make me look a bit of a plum wouldn't it? Ordering job lots of quality street on the internet! Come on Jersey, I have my standards!!!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:01 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Not many people over here celebrate Boxing Day. It's a really really (yes really) important day for my family. In fact we look forward to it more than Christmas Day.

Flavours of Boxing Day in our house:

Waking up early - light a fire.
Cook full English Breakfast - the works with bangers from British Butchers online, black pudding, eggs, toms, mushrooms, toast and marmalade.. lashings of hot tea.

Clear up and take the dogs for a walk.. (used to be we would go to the pub for a few - not any more).

Prepare lunch of Cold Turkey and Boiled Gammon Ham with Bubble and Squeak, piccalilli and cranberry sauce. Cold stuffing balls, and coleslaw..

Clear up and then we do tree presents.. Which have absolutely nothing to do with a tree (oak or otherwise). Every year each person in my family visiting for Boxing day would buy 3 small gifts for every other member of the family. We just write the name on the wrapping paper of each recipient and they all get thrown in a large box in the middle of the room. With 20 people, you do the math, but each person ends up with about 19 times 3 gifts (unless someone cheats- mum always throws in some extras). The kids love to sit by the box and hand them out so everyone gets one gift at a time. Then we all open it together..It's hilarious.. figuring out who gave what to who etc. The gifts range from the humorous (fart pills etc) to the useful (soap - for the kids haha) and none of them should cost more than a dollar or two. We pass several hours with this..

Then it's time to eat again! English Trifle and homemade Mince Pies, and sherry for the old gal.

Followed by pass the parcel.. (no one knows what that is here) .. charades, musical statues.. until we are all tired.. time for a Christmas movie and a snooze..

When we wake up its Cold Turkey Sandwich time with the thinnest of white sliced bread..and wallied (dill pickles) a cup of tea and family talk about what a wonderful Christmas it has been again.

We try to do Boxing Day every year.. family is thin on the ground so British and American friends are always welcome to make up the numbers..

Boxing Day.. a traditional day for giving gifts from the gentry to the servants - modified for my family to give small gifts that have a great deal of thought put into them.. a day of laughter fun and togetherness - our family Thanksgiving.

That sounds absolutely wonderful!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:15 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Laying by the pool, trying to recover from the day before....
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:47 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

One word.................RECOVERY!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:30 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Now that would make me look a bit of a plum wouldn't it? Ordering job lots of quality street on the internet! Come on Jersey, I have my standards!!!
World market have got them in.....I've just bought my 3 tins to last me over xmas....nobody else...just mine....

They can have the cadburys chocolate biscuits that I bought instead....
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisag8070
World market have got them in.....I've just bought my 3 tins to last me over xmas....nobody else...just mine....

They can have the cadburys chocolate biscuits that I bought instead....
I am on my way to get some now!
Yippee!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.