Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What does Boxing Day mean to you?

Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:05 pm
Banned

Yassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud of
Default Re: What does Boxing Day mean to you?

For years I just let it fall by the wayside as I had assimilated totally into the US culture, but in recent years I have been gradually re-kindling the day. Because my own kids are at the "Christmas is magic" age.

All the Boxing Day traditions/habits posted here have brought back many memories of my own back home (Ta!) and I plan on having a "proper" Boxing Day this year. Just like they used to be.

Really like the tree-presents one, never heard of that before.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: What does Boxing Day mean to you?

Originally Posted by Britinsac
Not many people over here celebrate Boxing Day. It's a really really (yes really) important day for my family. In fact we look forward to it more than Christmas Day.

Flavours of Boxing Day in our house:

Waking up early - light a fire.
Cook full English Breakfast - the works with bangers from British Butchers online, black pudding, eggs, toms, mushrooms, toast and marmalade.. lashings of hot tea.

Clear up and take the dogs for a walk.. (used to be we would go to the pub for a few - not any more).

Prepare lunch of Cold Turkey and Boiled Gammon Ham with Bubble and Squeak, piccalilli and cranberry sauce. Cold stuffing balls, and coleslaw..

Clear up and then we do tree presents.. Which have absolutely nothing to do with a tree (oak or otherwise). Every year each person in my family visiting for Boxing day would buy 3 small gifts for every other member of the family. We just write the name on the wrapping paper of each recipient and they all get thrown in a large box in the middle of the room. With 20 people, you do the math, but each person ends up with about 19 times 3 gifts (unless someone cheats- mum always throws in some extras). The kids love to sit by the box and hand them out so everyone gets one gift at a time. Then we all open it together..It's hilarious.. figuring out who gave what to who etc. The gifts range from the humorous (fart pills etc) to the useful (soap - for the kids haha) and none of them should cost more than a dollar or two. We pass several hours with this..

Then it's time to eat again! English Trifle and homemade Mince Pies, and sherry for the old gal.

Followed by pass the parcel.. (no one knows what that is here) .. charades, musical statues.. until we are all tired.. time for a Christmas movie and a snooze..

When we wake up its Cold Turkey Sandwich time with the thinnest of white sliced bread..and wallied (dill pickles) a cup of tea and family talk about what a wonderful Christmas it has been again.

We try to do Boxing Day every year.. family is thin on the ground so British and American friends are always welcome to make up the numbers..

Boxing Day.. a traditional day for giving gifts from the gentry to the servants - modified for my family to give small gifts that have a great deal of thought put into them.. a day of laughter fun and togetherness - our family Thanksgiving.

I used to go out looking for fights, but was told that it was'nt that kind of boxing day!! Well you live and learn I suppose lol
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

JacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud of

OMG Paper hats! - yes my wife insists that everyone wears one.. I hate it because they always make me hot and and I end up with a green forehead, but out of all of us the missus always starts and ends the day with the stupid thing still perched on her head. Paper hats out of crackers.. that has to be a British thing doesn't it? And doing the heimlich manouevre on the dog because he ate all the prizes that flew out onto the floor...
Christmas is not Christmas without a paper hat on your head. My dad always had a ring of color around his head by the evening. I remember that every Christmas and Boxing Day, even though he has been gone now for 16 years. Those kind of memories stay with you forever.
I intend to celebrate Boxing Day for the rest of my life anyway. It's part of being British.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of light

I love Boxing day and now my wife knows all about it she loves it as much as me lol - even more reason for us to celebrate it now though as it is our wedding anniversary
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

JacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud of
Wink Re: What does Boxing Day mean to you?

Originally Posted by Hank Hill
I love Boxing day and now my wife knows all about it she loves it as much as me lol - even more reason for us to celebrate it now though as it is our wedding anniversary
I will pop a cracker in celebration for you this Boxing Day.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Michigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really nice

Not many people over here celebrate Boxing Day. It's a really really (yes really) important day for my family. In fact we look forward to it more than Christmas Day.

Flavours of Boxing Day in our house:

Waking up early - light a fire.
Cook full English Breakfast - the works with bangers from British Butchers online, black pudding, eggs, toms, mushrooms, toast and marmalade.. lashings of hot tea.

Clear up and take the dogs for a walk.. (used to be we would go to the pub for a few - not any more).

Prepare lunch of Cold Turkey and Boiled Gammon Ham with Bubble and Squeak, piccalilli and cranberry sauce. Cold stuffing balls, and coleslaw..

Clear up and then we do tree presents.. Which have absolutely nothing to do with a tree (oak or otherwise). Every year each person in my family visiting for Boxing day would buy 3 small gifts for every other member of the family. We just write the name on the wrapping paper of each recipient and they all get thrown in a large box in the middle of the room. With 20 people, you do the math, but each person ends up with about 19 times 3 gifts (unless someone cheats- mum always throws in some extras). The kids love to sit by the box and hand them out so everyone gets one gift at a time. Then we all open it together..It's hilarious.. figuring out who gave what to who etc. The gifts range from the humorous (fart pills etc) to the useful (soap - for the kids haha) and none of them should cost more than a dollar or two. We pass several hours with this..

Then it's time to eat again! English Trifle and homemade Mince Pies, and sherry for the old gal.

Followed by pass the parcel.. (no one knows what that is here) .. charades, musical statues.. until we are all tired.. time for a Christmas movie and a snooze..

When we wake up its Cold Turkey Sandwich time with the thinnest of white sliced bread..and wallied (dill pickles) a cup of tea and family talk about what a wonderful Christmas it has been again.

We try to do Boxing Day every year.. family is thin on the ground so British and American friends are always welcome to make up the numbers..

Boxing Day.. a traditional day for giving gifts from the gentry to the servants - modified for my family to give small gifts that have a great deal of thought put into them.. a day of laughter fun and togetherness - our family Thanksgiving.

We also celebrate Boxing Day in the USA, we always keep back a few presents from Christmas Day. The food traditions are about the same, we must have very similar tastes, except we can never find good British bangers. We find that making a big thing of Boxing Day makes Christmas last longer, after all you look forward to it so long you want to make it as enjoyable as you can right?In the afternoon and evening all our Brit friends come round for food and we usually play eat too much get merry and watch a DVD or two and just enjoy the warmth of the day. Hopefully our kids will keep the tradition going....
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Michigan Man
We also celebrate Boxing Day in the USA, we always keep back a few presents from Christmas Day. The food traditions are about the same, we must have very similar tastes, except we can never find good British bangers. We find that making a big thing of Boxing Day makes Christmas last longer, after all you look forward to it so long you want to make it as enjoyable as you can right?In the afternoon and evening all our Brit friends come round for food and we usually play eat too much get merry and watch a DVD or two and just enjoy the warmth of the day. Hopefully our kids will keep the tradition going....
Here ya go mate! Their stuff is excellent!

http://www.britishbacon.com/comersus...rsus_index.asp
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:56 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

last xmas was the first time I have ever worked on boxing day....I was so ****ing miserable I nearly topped myself.

This year I managed to save 2 days holiday so I will be off the day after boxing day as well.......bloody septics, tight arse bunch aren't they!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yosser
last xmas was the first time I have ever worked on boxing day....I was so ****ing miserable I nearly topped myself.

This year I managed to save 2 days holiday so I will be off the day after boxing day as well.......bloody septics, tight arse bunch aren't they!
Fortunately my office closes for the whole week! We are off 24th through to 2nd january woohoo!! I have to use 3 days vacation (mandatory) but I dont care.. just to have a long week over Xmas is bloody fab..