What Car??

Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Car??

Originally Posted by rivit
PHEW I did'nt see my Ford Focus on the cock list
I'm safe
Charlie boy ...... your Ford Focus is nothing like a real Ford Focus

I bought one brand new here, they have not advanced like the European ones, they are the old Focus with slightly different bodywork.
European ones are now a totally different and more advanced car.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
..... Mini is cute and very well made and reliable but no f**kin use for anything over here...
except for parking in Boston
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

I bought one brand new here, they have not advanced like the European ones, they are the old Focus with slightly different bodywork.
I just wanted a basic car to go to work in, it's good on gas mileage and small because i do'nt have anything to compensate for

So far it's been very satisfactory
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a rented Toyota Yaris at the moment; few weeks ago I was in a (cheaper rental) Hyundai Elantra. To my surprise, the Elantra was a much better car from every perspective. Of course, Toyota reliability is legendary, but - Hyundai are doing a lot to match the reputation of the Japanese. If I were on a budget, I'd consider buying an Elantra.

Two friends of mine bought the mini and absolutely love it!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

One person's dream car is another person's clunker. Speaking of which the cash for clunkers scheme appears to have seen some success for struggling carmaker Chrysler, but what are we taxpayers getting for our money. One of the commenters here writes "My cousin bought 2 Patriots (his and hers) through the program and paid less than ~22K for the package. He and his wife both had old mid 90's Jeeps (1 Cherokee and 1 Grand Cherokee) and used the Cash for Clunkers money and incentives to get a nice deal on two new vehicles. He did not even like the Patriot much but the deal was too good to pass up." The article describes as "key vehicles" the Town and Country and Jeep Wrangler. Now it seems every brown flip flop and ball cap wearing young blade around Arlington drives a Wrangler - but Jeep Patriot? Wouldn't it be fun if the people paying for the incentives could vote on what cars other people can buy - No you can't have that Wrangler, but that beige Corolla looks tasty!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:08 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
but what are we taxpayers getting for our money.
I thought that as my car qualifies as a piece of shit but not as a clunker as it's a 2000 Ford Contour so I can't take advantage of it. Then I decided that getting all those piece of shit cars off the road and people driving more fuel efficient cars may help the environment a little and possibly even keep demand for fuel lower so it's a penny or two cheaper. I think being a dad has made me soppy
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I decided that getting all those piece of shit cars off the road and people driving more fuel efficient cars may help the environment a little and possibly even keep demand for fuel lower so it's a penny or two cheaper.
Your wish may be granted. This NYTimes article appears to be suggesting an average 60% fuel economy increase as 83% of clunkers are trucks or SUV's while 60% of the new vehicles are cars. A quick search on the Ford website and it seems all my local Ford dealers have sold out of the Focus.

Last edited by Dewey; Aug 3rd 2009 at 5:34 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:37 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I want to trade my truck for another truck.

No love for me.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

No love for me.
Better get in quick, the original $1bn's gone, the house has passed for $2bn more, it's now up to the senate to decide if it should be yay or nay.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:56 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

No love for me.
I want to trade my car for a truck so I'm really SOL.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah....as far as I understand it, if you want a Euro Ford Focus in the US, your best bet is to actually buy a Mazda 3....which is based on the Euro focus chassis.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dan725
Yeah....as far as I understand it, if you want a Euro Ford Focus in the US, your best bet is to actually buy a Mazda 3....which is based on the Euro focus chassis.
True that, although Ford have been hinting for ages the redesigned 2011 US Focus may share a similar platform with the European Focus, and with the stimulus money clearing the existing inventory and DOE loan paying for retooling Ford's US factories, this should be arriving in a Ford showroom near you sometime in late 2010.

Last edited by Dewey; Aug 3rd 2009 at 6:50 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Because I drive lots of miles, and those are the cars in which the cocks reside. But, there is some logic. Cars that people think make them special or different, even if relatively cheap - Mini, Scion xB. Expensive and showing off - Lexus, Range Rover, G-Wagen. Boy racer - Lancer Evo, but everyone around here has a Subaru so there's nothing special in owning a WRX. Big truck, but not big three - Tundra. Not sure why Titans are driven by nicer people. Hummer - no explanation necessary. Tahoe - I'm not really sure, maybe it's the non-Hummer H2.

Edit: BTW, I'm sure this list is regional and varies with time. For example, in many more crowded places an BMW M3 would probably be on the cock list. Round here there's plenty of space, and an M3 would just make you fast. G-Wagens are favored by the rich-with-nothing-to-do crowd in Santa Fe, but are probably almost non-existent in other areas. PT Cruisers would have been on the cock list when they first came out.... now there's no way you could be a respectable cock in a PT... and an HHR would be driven by a cock wannabe who'll by definition never get there.

I think your cock list is a bit too specific for me.....round here, top of the cock list is generally either big mahoosive King Size SUV's or similarly sized pick-ups...but to really qualify for the list, it is not only the vehicle type but also the manner in which it is driven - namely, up the arse of the car in front, or violently swerving through the traffic. The aforementioned vehicle types do, however, seem to be most prolific at managing to drive like this....

At the poorer end of the cock list, you see the ancient model Honda civics...there seems to be a cult following as to just how many dents and mismatched body panels you can get on your old civic; it seems to be almost a competition to see how truly crap you can make your car look. Add some mismatched color bodykit parts, an obnoxious exhaust, and then proceed to drive in the manner mentioned above....cocks!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 7:04 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
True that, although Ford have been hinting for ages the redesigned 2011 US Focus may share a similar platform with the European Focus, and with the stimulus money clearing the existing inventory and DOE loan paying for retooling Ford's US factories, this should be arriving in a Ford showroom near you sometime in late 2010.
For $30K no doubt.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

For $30K no doubt.
With the introduction of the Fiesta to compete with Korean/Japanese small cars, and with the state of the economy/car industry today, it's hard to say what Ford's beancounters will price the new Focus. At a guess if prices rise in line with inflation, say up 5% from this year, then a 2011 Focus may have a MSRP starting somewhere in the region of >$17k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.