Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What is it about the yanks and these damn school movies?!

What is it about the yanks and these damn school movies?!

Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:27 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it about the yanks and these damn school movies?!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I did like 'Grease' when it came out......now have it on DVD and it seems soooo cheesy!

With yet another crossover idea from the UK (where Andrew Lloyd Webber held a theatre audition competition for the part of Maria in his stage production for "The Sound of Music".....I've seen adverts (on Fox TV, I think) for a similar competition to audition for parts in a forthcoming stage production of 'Grease'...

NB: Isn't "To Sir With Love" a British secondary school movie from the 60s with Sidney Poitier and Lulu?

Can anyone remember the comedy series "Please Sir"...with John Alderton as one of the teachers?

Indeed about the To Sir with Love, I was just discretely pointing out that not ALL the movies about teachers with tough students in tough schools were American ones..........
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I did like 'Grease' when it came out......now have it on DVD and it seems soooo cheesy!

With yet another crossover idea from the UK (where Andrew Lloyd Webber held a theatre audition competition for the part of Maria in his stage production for "The Sound of Music".....I've seen adverts (on Fox TV, I think) for a similar competition to audition for parts in a forthcoming stage production of 'Grease'...
it's pretty cheesy, but we did watch an episode...not really that gripping stuff though.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

marriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond repute

NB: Isn't "To Sir With Love" a British secondary school movie from the 60s with Sidney Poitier and Lulu?

Can anyone remember the comedy series "Please Sir"...with John Alderton as one of the teachers?
Grease has got to be the exception to the rule though. That movie, cheesy as it is, is still timeless *l*
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by marriedtothemod
Grease has got to be the exception to the rule though. That movie, cheesy as it is, is still timeless *l*
Are you serious? Its the worst waste of celluloid in cinematic history. An utter waste of time made by completely talentless idiots.

I don't really care, I just felt like a rant.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

marriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Are you serious? Its the worst waste of celluloid in cinematic history. An utter waste of time made by completely talentless idiots.

I don't really care, I just felt like a rant.
I am serious *lol* But then others feel that there are more timeless and classical movies that I would rather dig my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon than watch more than five minutes of *lol*
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:35 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Good American high school movies:

American Grafitti
Dazed and Confused (may be my favorite movie of all time...)
Rebel without a Cause
Sixteen Candles
Brick
Clueless
10 Things I Hate About You
Ferris Beuller
Hoop Dreams
Election
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Say Anything
Rushmore
Pump up the Volume (bit of a guilty pleasure)
Forgot one:
The Last Picture Show (should be required viewing)
I used to love 'Pump up the Volume', haven't watched it in years. I think I'll add it to my queue, thanx for the reminder!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

lauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond repute

American Grafitti
Dazed and Confused (may be my favorite movie of all time...)
Rebel without a Cause
Sixteen Candles
Brick
Clueless
10 Things I Hate About You
Ferris Beuller
Hoop Dreams
Election
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Say Anything
Rushmore
Pump up the Volume (bit of a guilty pleasure)
Forgot one:
The Last Picture Show (should be required viewing)
Great list of great films! I have shown a number of them in my classrooms, especially Rebel Without a Cause--the kids relate to it even though it was filmed back in the 50s.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

American Gratitties
Dazed and Rogered (may be my favorite movie of all time...)
Anal without a Cause
Sexteen Candles
Prick
Clitless
10 Things I Shag About You
Ferris Bugger
Brown Hoop Dreams
Erection
Fast Times at Rimjob High
Say Analthing
Bum's Rushmore
Pump up the Vagina (bit of a guilty pleasure)
Forgot one:
The Last Titty Show (should be required viewing)

Really don't see anything wrong with this list.....seems like good clean, wholesome fun to me.......
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Another great one is Bring it On. Silly but fun
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:31 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Really don't see anything wrong with this list.....seems like good clean, wholesome fun to me.......
Noice. I've also seen Edward Penishands, which I guess could be termed a high school flick.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

Noice. I've also seen Edward Penishands, which I guess could be termed a high school flick.
What about John Bobbit's second career then....
Old Jan 9th 2007, 2:29 pm
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

haha me and my wife said the same thing when we sqw a trailer for the new one coming out. Its so cheesy.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 2:44 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of locker room/shower scenes, white cottom panties... wholesome clean fun.

BTW- don't forget the 1st and best High school reform movie- Blackboard Jungle with Vic Morrow and Sidney
Portier. One of the all time great movies IMO.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ironporer
Lots of locker room/shower scenes, white cottom panties... wholesome clean fun.

BTW- don't forget the 1st and best High school reform movie- Blackboard Jungle with Vic Morrow and Sidney
Portier
. One of the all time great movies IMO.
He must have liked the school movies, if its who I'm thinking of as didn't he do "To sir with love"....?

The one that cured me of them was "the principal" with Jim Belushi.........

Oh, lets not forget "The Faculty", ..........very cheesy horror flick.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:13 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Election - Satirical comedy about high school politics and popularity;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0126886/

Funny and reflective of US society as a whole, as this one-upmanship and brown-nosing carry over into daily life in corporate America too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.