Weird article

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 5:21 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weird article

Could not make head nor tail of this one.

http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...time-hysteria/
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:25 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Weird article

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Hi:

Did you mean to link to another article? The link is to one by Richard Wilner, an immigration lawyer in Cerritos [Los Angeles]. I am curious to see what article you were making your comment about.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Did you mean to link to another article? The link is to one by Richard Wilner, an immigration lawyer in Cerritos [Los Angeles]. I am curious to see what article you were making your comment about.
Nope -- that's the one. He seems to be an immigration lawyer moaning about other immigration lawyers, but gives no real details about the substance of his complaints except a sort of general implication that some other lawyers may be criminal/lazy/ignorant. Is it an advertising piece, advice on how to choose a lawyer (if so, it fails miserably IMO) or what? As I said, I could make neither head nor tail of it. I only commented on it since it was posted on our beloved BE.

Last edited by fatbrit; Nov 2nd 2007 at 10:25 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Nope -- that's the one. He seems to be an immigration lawyer moaning about other immigration lawyers, but gives no real details about the substance of his complaints except a sort of general implication that some other lawyers may be criminal/lazy/ignorant. Is it an advertising piece, advice on how to choose a lawyer (if so, it fails miserably IMO) or what? As I said, I could make neither head nor tail of it. I only commented on it since it was posted on our beloved BE.
"A lawyer that has a lot of clients doesn’t make him a good lawyer."

"There is no substitute for hard work and preparation. Doing it the right way is the only way."

I'm with you on this one. Looks like he dashed it off and never proof-read the piece. At least one hopes so...
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

Hi:

Fair enough. It is clear to me since Mr. Wilner was talking about a situation in Los Angeles [although it exists in other areas also] which is the bane of our existence.

This deals with the operation of unlicensed "Notarios", "Consultants" and "Brokers" who engage in UPL. On top of being unlicensed, it happens to be incompetent UPL.

Many of these UPL organizations or people have attorneys on payroll or acting as fronts. It is unethical and illegal for a lawyer to aid in UPL or to enter into a partnership with UPL. [BTW, we need not go into the fine lines here -- a partnership of an Accountant and a Lawyer to do tax planning, advice and defense was a problem for years and is now pretty well recognized as OK].

Mr. Wilner accurately describes these attorneys as "infamous" and well, they are.

I happen to be arguing next week at the 9th Circuit where client was represented by one of these notarios where they did the patented asylum from Mexico to get work authorization. When they get to court, the front attorney appears, withdraws the asylum and files for "cancellation" and the final result is an order of removal. This happens day in and day out in the Immigration Courts and is sickening.

Well, in the case I have, everybody missed the issue of the Western Hemisphere Priority Date savings clause from the 1976 legislation. The attorney later resigned with discipline pending -- a recommendation for disbarment had been issued by the State Bar Court was was before the Supreme Court; the guy had in the meanwhile been placed on involuntary inactive status.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 2:40 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

What a dreadful piece by someone too busy or too disinterested to write something other than "I'm better than other lawyers - use my services". My question to the BE owners is this - did he pay for that advert, or are you really suggesting that the article is somehow informative?
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 2:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

This deals with the operation of unlicensed "Notarios", "Consultants" and "Brokers" who engage in UPL. On top of being unlicensed, it happens to be incompetent UPL.
Seems like real attorneys to me
http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsrelea...string=lawyers
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 2:49 pm
Septicity

Hi:

Fair enough. It is clear to me since Mr. Wilner was talking about a situation in Los Angeles [although it exists in other areas also] which is the bane of our existence.

Many of these UPL organizations or people have attorneys on payroll or acting as fronts. It is unethical and illegal for a lawyer to aid in UPL or to enter into a partnership with UPL. [BTW, we need not go into the fine lines here -- a partnership of an Accountant and a Lawyer to do tax planning, advice and defense was a problem for years and is now pretty well recognized as OK].

Mr. Wilner accurately describes these attorneys as "infamous" and well, they are.

I happen to be arguing next week at the 9th Circuit where client was represented by one of these notarios where they did the patented asylum from Mexico to get work authorization. When they get to court, the front attorney appears, withdraws the asylum and files for "cancellation" and the final result is an order of removal. This happens day in and day out in the Immigration Courts and is sickening.

Well, in the case I have, everybody missed the issue of the Western Hemisphere Priority Date savings clause from the 1976 legislation. The attorney later resigned with discipline pending -- a recommendation for disbarment had been issued by the State Bar Court was was before the Supreme Court; the guy had in the meanwhile been placed on involuntary inactive status.
Thanks for giving us the background. You understood what he was going on about because you are an LA lawyer -- I doubt anyone else outside this hallowed circle has a clue. If you know the guy and want to do him a favour, suggest a substantive rewrite would be my advice.

Also, the topic though close to his heart is pretty irrelevant for BE. I doubt we provide much business for notarios. There is a European equivalent, though, and this is the visa consultant, operating mainly out of Florida and the E-2 visa. The prosecutions, however, center mainly around nicking the money than giving the visa advice. Here's an example for you: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6255529.stm
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
Ray:

You are correct that this is NOT what I am talking about. For update see

http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/profcond/F...FinalOrder.pdf

Attorneys Korenburg and Rodriquez are defending the criminal action which has yet to come to trial.

By the way, Phil Abramovitz has done excellent work over the years -- I've seen some of it and I was impressed.

This matter is more in the area of advising and executing applications which were not only way too close to the line, but crossed over it on numerous occasions.

I can tell you that Abramovits was NOT one of the lawyers who engaged in the conduct I was mentioning before the Immigration Courts.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:28 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

It was a TERRIBLY written article, but I think it was valid - my wife and I got BONED by our immigration lawyer, who was useless and unprofessional. There are an awful lot of guys out there who take your money - and keep taking your money - while not really giving you straight answers (yes, of course you will get a green card) or results.