Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The wedding list backlash has begun!

Wikiposts

The wedding list backlash has begun!

Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The wedding list backlash has begun!

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
Yo,

Just wondered if any of the married folk on here can recall any stories of arguments with their family over who gets invited to THEIR OWN wedding?
Yes as a matter of fact. We were married in a small chapel that held about 50 tops. My parents wanted to invite a couple that have been friends of theirs for a while. I didn't necessarily object, but said that given the size of the chapel - I wanted to make sure there was enough room for the people we really wanted to be there - before we started branching out. It's not that they weren't nice people, I was worried about space. (see link below to get a sense of what I mean)

http://www.tlaq.com/Chapel.cfm

Two days later I was told "We invited them. They're coming." Wasn't thrilled.

If I can give you one tip for your wedding - do NOT use a family friend for the photography. We did (and this guy was a photographer) and our pictures are terrible - the lighting is really off and I look like I have black eyes in many of the pics. Kind of sad since you don't get to redo it.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:37 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear.

We told the monster in laws fella that he could come to our wedding (here in the US) if he didn't drink until after the ceremony at 2pm. Only a quick courthouse affair. He turned up at our apartment drunk as a bastard at 11.30am. He got me to one side for a pissed up man to man convo. Idiot!!! At the ceeremony he made a total twat of himself, lying down on the floor to take pics (for some reason), hitting on the nan from the good side of the family who is 73 and shouting as we took our vows - looky over heah!!! As he snapped away with his box brownie. Everyone was mortified. Things have not gotten much better since I'm afraid. Hate to see him at a funeral!!!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
First time around got married at the college chapel at night, candles in the window, flowers on the altar very simple. It's 3 days after Christmas, snow on the ground, very picturesque.. The groom and groomsmen all wore their uniforms. Chaplain was an AF COL, my Dad in his Navy dress uniform Maid of honor who was a redhead wore green velvet medieval style gown, bridesmaids all wore similar gowns in burgundy. Each carried a candle. Sound good so far?

Well one small thing. Best man was black. Groom had neglected to inform parents who found out at the rehersal. Groom's mother said had she known it would be like that she wouldn't have come. Bride and family dumbfounded at scene groom's mother made. Maid of honor tells groom's mother that it's our wedding. SIL jumps in and tells maid of honor to shut it. Bride's father tells bride's mother if groom mother cuts up again to throw her out.

It was an omen.
Oh wow Cindy! That's horrible!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:41 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Oh wow Cindy! That's horrible!
Now I realize why I look very subdued in all the wedding pics,
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now I realize why I look very subdued in all the wedding pics,
That's okay - I looked like chewbacca in some of mine. Stupid woman who did my make-up colored in my eyebrows (not necessary IMO) and I didn't have time to wash it off. :curse:
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:46 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

First time around got married at the college chapel at night, candles in the window, flowers on the altar very simple. It's 3 days after Christmas, snow on the ground, very picturesque.. The groom and groomsmen all wore their uniforms. Chaplain was an AF COL, my Dad in his Navy dress uniform Maid of honor who was a redhead wore green velvet medieval style gown, bridesmaids all wore similar gowns in burgundy. Each carried a candle. Sound good so far?

Well one small thing. Best man was black. Groom had neglected to inform parents who found out at the rehersal. Groom's mother said had she known it would be like that she wouldn't have come. Bride and family dumbfounded at scene groom's mother made. Maid of honor tells groom's mother that it's our wedding. SIL jumps in and tells maid of honor to shut it. Bride's father tells bride's mother if groom mother cuts up again to throw her out.

It was an omen.
Shit, and I thought mine was tricky lol. Up until the incident I was going to say it sounds like my wifes dream wedding. That said the redhead in the green gown would have been a distraction ha ha. The black fella could have stayed but she'd a had to go
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:58 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Our wedding was great...except for the photographer that told me not to smile (because my whole face creased up)...so in all my wedding photo's I'm stood there looking like a stern school ma'am, whilst everyone else has got big cheesy grins...
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:51 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I had no trouble with mine. I told my wife to tell me when and where to show up and I'd be there. In the meantime, I don't care what color the napkins are, what font is used on the invites, what icing is on the cake or anything else, as long as at the end of it we are legally hitched and there is plenty of booze and live music at the reception.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

had an aunt that sat in a corner and knitted the whole way through our wedding if thats' any consolation
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I had no trouble with mine. I told my wife to tell me when and where to show up and I'd be there. In the meantime, I don't care what color the napkins are, what font is used on the invites, what icing is on the cake or anything else, as long as at the end of it we are legally hitched and there is plenty of booze and live music at the reception.
You're lucky - I made my husband help with the planning because picking out napkins, invites, etc. was NOT my idea of a good time.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:16 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
now thats what I call a perfect wedding and marriage.....knowings who's the boss....
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:52 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
now thats what I call a perfect wedding and marriage.....knowings who's the boss....
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

The first part of the Serenity Prayer, written by Reinhold Niebuhr, a very smart man!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:36 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Shit, and I thought mine was tricky lol. Up until the incident I was going to say it sounds like my wifes dream wedding. That said the redhead in the green gown would have been a distraction ha ha. The black fella could have stayed but she'd a had to go
Yeh sounds bloody perfect up until the ginge minge turned up

I had to bully my wife out of the winter wedding actually. She wanted a NYE affair because she had the romantic picture in her head (snow, candles etc as above...minus the ginge of course). All I had in my head was rain, wind and a general greyness.

Some of the stories have been classic though, especially this one about the black fella. Poor bloke. I thought you were gonna say something like nobody could see him because it was so dark in the church what with the candles and all.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
Yo,

Just wondered if any of the married folk on here can recall any stories of arguments with their family over who gets invited to THEIR OWN wedding?
We didn't have any such arguments, but I know that it's a common problem. Some couples opt for "destination" weddings as a solution, as in "We're getting married at the Grand Wailea on Maui. Any family members who want to attend are welcome to come. Travelocity is your friend."
Stick to your guns and decide on the guest list yourselves. For a large collection of horror stories, visit Etiquette Hell.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:11 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
We didn't have any such arguments, but I know that it's a common problem. Some couples opt for "destination" weddings as a solution, as in "We're getting married at the Grand Wailea on Maui. Any family members who want to attend are welcome to come. Travelocity is your friend."
Stick to your guns and decide on the guest list yourselves. For a large collection of horror stories, visit Etiquette Hell.
Great website - cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.