Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

We took a little road trip...

We took a little road trip...

Old Sep 1st 2013, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default We took a little road trip...

So this week we went over to Niagara Falls for a couple of days, staying on the Canadian side we wanted to check it out from the US side too as neither my hubby or I had ever been before.

So off on our travels walking over Rainbow Bridge to the US, the family ahead of 2 parents and 2 kids are denied entry because they did not have the correct visa. On our way back to Canada, we get to the boarder crossing and the people ahead of us parents with a baby in a stroller had no passport or any identification for the little one (they were eventually allowed entry) and the next person was asked 3 times where he lived, 3 times he said he lived in Toronto after being told 'no you live in Japan' he was allowed entry.

I can only imagine the people that the boarder guards meet each day and seriously amazed, in this day and age, at how many people dont have their s**t together and know what they need to travel from one country to another.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:09 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We took a little road trip...

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
So this week we went over to Niagara Falls for a couple of days, staying on the Canadian side we wanted to check it out from the US side too as neither my hubby or I had ever been before.

So off on our travels walking over Rainbow Bridge to the US, the family ahead of 2 parents and 2 kids are denied entry because they did not have the correct visa. On our way back to Canada, we get to the boarder crossing and the people ahead of us parents with a baby in a stroller had no passport or any identification for the little one (they were eventually allowed entry) and the next person was asked 3 times where he lived, 3 times he said he lived in Toronto after being told 'no you live in Japan' he was allowed entry.

I can only imagine the people that the boarder guards meet each day and seriously amazed, in this day and age, at how many people dont have their s**t together and know what they need to travel from one country to another.
If I recall right, it wasn't that long ago when you didn't need a Visa to go to Canada or Mexico. Well I guess that was pre 9/11.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
If I recall right, it wasn't that long ago when you didn't need a Visa to go to Canada or Mexico. Well I guess that was pre 9/11.
You don't if you're British or American...sounds like this family were Japanese.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... it wasn't that long ago when you didn't need a Visa to go to Canada .....
Canada is a different country?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You don't if you're British or American...sounds like this family were Japanese.
What an extraordinarily insensitive thing to say. Such factual observations are unacceptable in the 21st century!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 1st 2013 at 1:57 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What an extraordinarily insensitive thing to say. Such factual observations are unacceptable in the 21st century!
I've noticed you are abusing the use of rolleyes smilies...your smiley privileges will be withdrawn if this continues.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed you are abusing the use of rolleyes smilies...your smiley privileges will be withdrawn if this continues.
Eye rolling is Pulaski's natural state of being. I am sure that Mrs P would be willing to attest to that fact.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

interesting the difference between land crossing and airport entry.... could you imagine landing at an airport and have no ID for a child?

I can only imagine the stories they hear!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:12 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
interesting the difference between land crossing and airport entry.... could you imagine landing at an airport and have no ID for a child?
Heck I was in Mexico as a 15 year old with no ID crossing back from TJ to San Diego.
Wouldn't try that now.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:15 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure oversight has tightened up since 9/11, but when I looked into this for a trip to Canada last year, I was surprised to see that the big rules change for crossing the US/Canadian border overland was 2009, when the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative came into full effect. Not that long ago, really, so it's not surprising that some older Americans don't realize they need "official" ID.

The same Initiative changed the ID regs for air travellers in 2007, but took a bit longer to fully implement at the land & sea crossings.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western...vel_Initiative )
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:04 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Lived around there (Lewiston and Grand Island) for awhile where my ex-wife grew up. You really didn't need a passport to cross over at all if you were local until after 9/11. Just astounding seeing as the number of people going back and forth. Now if you're local you can get a pass that supposedly shows you're a local and therefore don't need your passport as it's already been verified. Can't be that hard to fabricate.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:58 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Captain Cheesestick
Lived around there (Lewiston and Grand Island) for awhile where my ex-wife grew up. You really didn't need a passport to cross over at all if you were local until after 9/11. Just astounding seeing as the number of people going back and forth. Now if you're local you can get a pass that supposedly shows you're a local and therefore don't need your passport as it's already been verified. Can't be that hard to fabricate.
I suspect that on the US side, they run your car license plate before they even speak to you ... we live just a few miles from the Canadian border and cross back and forth all the time. Whether we've just been across for a quick supermarket and Canadian Tire run or whether we are returning after three weeks in England (our international airport is in Canada) they just scan our passports and wave us through without any major questioning.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 12:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Captain Cheesestick
NEXUS...any USC or Canadian can apply for it...you don't have to be local to get one. After a decade of crossing the border we are applying for a NEXUS card.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NEXUS...any USC or Canadian can apply for it...you don't have to be local to get one. After a decade of crossing the border we are applying for a NEXUS card.
They had really short line for Nexus holders in both directions!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

No incentive for us to get a NEXUS card; in either direction, we are usually the only car crossing. And, no separate line, as there is only one line..
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Also if you're a USC resident in NYS it's one of the states that offers the "Enhanced" driver's license / state ID which is accepted under the WHTI as evidence of US nationality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.