Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

We made it on 12th January

We made it on 12th January

Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice
Default We made it on 12th January

Hi
Update to anyone who can remember us. We finally emigrated on 12th January 2009.
My husband and i have moved to be with our daughter who has been in US for 10 years and married to USC and our two amazing grandsons. We were missing our boys growing up and couldn't miss out anymore. We were getting over three times a year but still missing far too much. You can never get that time back.

Just wondered if anyone who has entered USA through Orlando international airport can give time line for delivery of green card and SS card. I know everyone seems to have a different experience but wondered what people had experienced from here. We did tick to apply for our SS card on our form, but i know that people have still had to go and apply in person. Just wondered how long we should wait before applying ourselves

Thanks for any help Chris
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We made it on 12th January

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Update to anyone who can remember us.
Welcome back!

Just wondered if anyone who has entered USA through Orlando international airport can give time line for delivery of green card and SS card.
Reports seem to indicate about 3 weeks (give or take) for the SS card. As for the GC, not sure... but you should have an I-551 endorsement in your passport - and that *IS* the GC... just in a different format.

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Welcome back!

Reports seem to indicate about 3 weeks (give or take) for the SS card. As for the GC, not sure... but you should have an I-551 endorsement in your passport - and that *IS* the GC... just in a different format.

Ian
Thanks Ian

Thats so funny because you were the first person to answer my very first question on here. And now your there for me again.
We have had a very busy time since my last post. Sorting out our house, we were there for 23 years so you can imagine the stuff we had collected.
We are renting the house out for now. The market is so bad at the moment so that seems the best option.
It's great to finally get here and know we can spend as much time as we want with our boys.
We have already found some good cycle tracks so feel at home.

Chris
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:26 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Thats so funny because you were the first person to answer my very first question on here. And now your there for me again.
I have no life! Glad to hear things are moving along! Best of luck to you.

Oh... I always remember your name because it looks so much like PCMurdoch from "Oor Wullie".

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I have no life! Glad to hear things are moving along! Best of luck to you.

Oh... I always remember your name because it looks so much like PCMurdoch from "Oor Wullie".

Ian
Where in Scotland. My husbands from Ayr, but lived in England for the last 36 years since we meet.
Was it the sunday post you used to read then. That was a blast from the past for my husband.

Take care Chris
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:51 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondered if anyone who has entered USA through Orlando international airport can give time line for delivery of green card and SS card. I know everyone seems to have a different experience but wondered what people had experienced from here. We did tick to apply for our SS card on our form, but i know that people have still had to go and apply in person. Just wondered how long we should wait before applying ourselves
Welcome Home! (of course we remember you silly!)

Since you've come with Immigrant Visas, my info told me that your GCs will be produced at the Texas Service Center.
The SS card comes from SSA.

Wait at least 3 weeks to see if anything comes. If you get a 'Welcome to America' letter notifying you that your Green Card is in production, that is a good sign that your request made it to SSA as well. The SS card can arrive any time from 3-6 weeks. I guess I'd got in at about 4 if I were really hard up.
The danger in applying at the office as well as with your form is that you get 2 cards/accounts. You need to have only one.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Welcome Home! (of course we remember you silly!)

Since you've come with Immigrant Visas, my info told me that your GCs will be produced at the Texas Service Center.
The SS card comes from SSA.

Wait at least 3 weeks to see if anything comes. If you get a 'Welcome to America' letter notifying you that your Green Card is in production, that is a good sign that your request made it to SSA as well. The SS card can arrive any time from 3-6 weeks. I guess I'd got in at about 4 if I were really hard up.
The danger in applying at the office as well as with your form is that you get 2 cards/accounts. You need to have only one.
Hi thank you. That's very kind.
I will do as you say.

Chris
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

Where in Scotland.
I was born in Glasgow, and lived there until my dad dragged us (screaming and kicking) to Canada.

Was it the sunday post you used to read then. That was a blast from the past for my husband.
We got the Sunday Post on a regular basis and, even after we moved to Canada, we got the Post at a local newspaper shop for many, many years! I loved Oor Wullie. I've also got a few "Broons" books also!

Ian
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:08 pm
The Wee Wifey

LynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud of

Welcome to Florida Chris

It's nice to have you here, even if we are in the middle of a big cold spell. All we need to do now is arrange a meet up with Michelle.

I came in through JFK, but my SSN card arrived in just a week, then my Green Card arrived about four weeks after that. I did get two welcome to America letters from the Texas Service Center. The second one came just a day before my green card did.

Also Maw Broon now has a cookbook available. I should get my copy next time my mum comes to visit.

Lyn
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LynannC
Welcome to Florida Chris

It's nice to have you here, even if we are in the middle of a big cold spell. All we need to do now is arrange a meet up with Michelle.

I came in through JFK, but my SSN card arrived in just a week, then my Green Card arrived about four weeks after that. I did get two welcome to America letters from the Texas Service Center. The second one came just a day before my green card did.

Also Maw Broon now has a cookbook available. I should get my copy next time my mum comes to visit.

Lyn
Hi Lyn

How are you doing. It's great to hear from you. Michelle said you keep in touch and you were doing well.
I know everyone say's it's cold, but it was colder at home before we left so this is nice to us. Yes first thing in the morning is not good but it feels ok later.
We did end up letting the house back home for now. We will wait for the market to pick up before we sell.
I will let you know what happens with our SS cards. Hope they dont take too long. Everyone seems to have a different experience. My husband is itching to get a job. He has worked all his life and finds it hard to be unemployed. He is enjoying spending time with the family. We have told him he has to slow down though. He is someone who is always on the go. Our daughter does have a list of jobs to keep him busy so that's good.

Nice to hear from you, take care Chris x x x