Are we ever happy?

Old Sep 9th 2004, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

doodle is on a distinguished road
Default Are we ever happy?

What is it with us Brits? We moan when it rains, we moan when its too hot, we moan on and on. When reading the posts from people who are going to Oz all they seem to want is "the sun" and "the beach" . Some expect to be bbqing from 4pm because they will be leaving work at 3.30pm. I dont know why people have such misguided perceptions of a country that they have either never been to or only spent some time on holiday. If you arent happy at home in the UK the chances are that you wont be happy half way around the world in a different culture. Maybe why so many people come back is because they did not have a realistic outlook in the beginning and are led by their emotions.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 12:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we ever happy?

Originally Posted by doodle
What is it with us Brits? We moan when it rains, we moan when its too hot, we moan on and on. When reading the posts from people who are going to Oz all they seem to want is "the sun" and "the beach" . Some expect to be bbqing from 4pm because they will be leaving work at 3.30pm. I dont know why people have such misguided perceptions of a country that they have either never been to or only spent some time on holiday. If you arent happy at home in the UK the chances are that you wont be happy half way around the world in a different culture. Maybe why so many people come back is because they did not have a realistic outlook in the beginning and are led by their emotions.
Oh, quit moaning!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 12:51 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe this is entirely true. Yes, we moan but we don't take ourselves seriously. Well, the Brits I know anyway

There can be many reasons why someone isn't particularly happy with their lives and moving can change that for the better. For instance, there were parts of our lives that I wasn't happy about - having to deal with family. Moving away meant we couldn't pop to see grandparents on weekends etc. which freed our weekends up for our own family time. The only arguments hubby and I ever really had was about his family and their expectations of us. Thinking about it, we didn't exactly argue about my parents and family but there were tensions. Now, when ever we have family come and visit they make a point of not rocking the boat. They don't want to cause arguments with us living so far away so life is always pleasant when they come to visit. We love it and given the choice I would move back, because I would be too frightened that things would go back to the way they were before.

We moved because of hubby's job and we see a lot more of him now than we ever used to. So we benefit there too

We may moan about our new abodes but that doesn't mean we are not happy
Old Sep 9th 2004, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with us Brits? We moan when it rains, we moan when its too hot, we moan on and on. Maybe why so many people come back is because they did not have a realistic outlook in the beginning and are led by their emotions.
Do the Brits really moan that much compared with other countries (or western countries at least)? I've lived and worked in many European countries, US, Oz and NZ - and believe me, they also moan! Perhaps we don't recognise the moaning, because of the different languages and/or cultures in these other countries. Brits also tend to be more self-critical, which could be misinterepreted as moaning.

Still, it's not all bad : Brits have a great sense of humour - unlikely many other countries.

And that's nothing to moan about.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

interesting that this is posted on the 'moving back to uk' forum. Is it only people who've moved back to UK who winge? I think not!!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 12:08 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

And you think this is an unrealistic expectation because ??????????

for me its real life - I start work at 7.30 and finish at 15.30. Ok it takes me 40-45 mins to get home but that means the BBQ is fired up by 16.20 at the latest.

PS, my hatches are battened down, you can now commence the "but youre australian", "we're not all as lucky as you", "You're in Perth, ergo you must be lying" type replies
Old Sep 9th 2004, 4:32 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think its so much just Brits. I think it has more to do with people that have a real emotional side. if you look around there are actually people that are very shallow and have little emotion and life to them is more about how much material things they have. then there are people with strong emotions. Dreamers, worriers, always wondering if theres something more to life, more to offer their family. A longing for something new.. or a strong longing to get back home. and the courage to try.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris
And you think this is an unrealistic expectation because ??????????

for me its real life - I start work at 7.30 and finish at 15.30. Ok it takes me 40-45 mins to get home but that means the BBQ is fired up by 16.20 at the latest.
PS, my hatches are battened down, you can now commence the "but youre australian", "we're not all as lucky as you", "You're in Perth, ergo you must be lying" type replies
That's a joke, right? Perth, the most remote stretch of suburban blandness in the world. With a 'culture' to match.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
That's a joke, right? Perth, the most remote stretch of suburban blandness in the world. With a 'culture' to match.
Just curious Mike, what is your definition of 'culture' as regards to Perth.?
Old Sep 13th 2004, 3:27 am
Homesick....

Aqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Are we ever happy?

Aussies moan more than Brits believe you me!!!!

Weather
Politics
Food
TV
Football (AFL)
Friends
Illness
Public Transport
Roads
Taxes
Petrol Prices
Drivers on the road
Schools
Supermarkets

etc etc etc etc moan moan moan moan moan...