Wasps/Hornets

Old Dec 4th 2014, 11:28 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wasps/Hornets

Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 2:18 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Too right. If they're too stupid to hibernate or die, or whatever it is they're supposed to be doing, flame torch is the only option.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

They do die as winter approaches.

If you can put up with them they are useful in that they pollinate plants and control pests such as caterpillars.
I had a nest in a bush just 4 foot from my pool that had to be nuked. Pest control wanted something like $150. So i used a large clear plastic sheet to cover the bush, put some 2x4s to hold it down then put a $4 bomb under and watched the action. 2 hours later i reached in and found the nest.

I also has a nest of mud daubers on the side of my shed, they were allowed to stay. They are hardly lightly to sting and they prey on spiders, including black widow spiders. Funny how my wife agreed to keep the nest once i told her that
Old Dec 4th 2014, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah..I try not to kill if I can help it.

We have plenty mud daubers as well, black wasps, always nipping about productively...
Old Dec 4th 2014, 4:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
...... I used a large clear plastic sheet to cover the bush, put some 2x4s to hold it down then put a $4 bomb under and watched the action. 2 hours later I reached in and found the nest. .....
After dark and overnight works best. Wasps "come home to roost, and are much less likely to notice your efforts to exterminate them after dark.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
After dark and overnight works best. Wasps "come home to roost, and are much less likely to notice your efforts to exterminate them after dark.
yes i read that too after i'd done the job. I did mine at wrong time, about 2pm in the afternoon when i got fed up with them around my kids by the pool. As i had the clear paint sheet, 2x4s and bomb already in the garage I decided to just go for it. Lucky my nest was very small and i got them all, but they were yellow jackets though. Its was a good job things went well as i wasn't wearing much in the way of protection, just swim shorts
Old Dec 5th 2014, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

I have one dead wasp that seemed to get frozen and stuck to the cement in the wall when the temperature dropped about 50 degrees in one day last month. I will see how long he lasts.

If you want a tip for getting rid of wasps next year I'd suggest having a black family move next door to you. I hear it works well.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 4:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
If you want a tip for getting rid of wasps next year I'd suggest having a black family move next door to you. I hear it works well.
Depends, do they do termites too?

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Dec 5th 2014 at 4:45 am.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
yes i read that too after i'd done the job. I did mine at wrong time, about 2pm in the afternoon when i got fed up with them around my kids by the pool. As i had the clear paint sheet, 2x4s and bomb already in the garage I decided to just go for it. Lucky my nest was very small and i got them all, but they were yellow jackets though. Its was a good job things went well as i wasn't wearing much in the way of protection, just swim shorts
I was out on my balcony in bare feet a couple of years ago and stepped on a yellow jacket, it stung me, rolled around a bit on the balcony, and then flew away.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 10:49 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
How does that work?
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
How does that work? ....
It was a lame attempt at a joke.

Tip: think acronym.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It was a lame attempt at a joke.

I kinda thought that...but...
Ok got it
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

If he didn't understand the joke, then he probably didn't see this either.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Michael
If he didn't understand the joke, then he probably didn't see this either.
What a strange example of passive aggression....

I did understand the potential reference, but I've heard better jokes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.