Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Want to move to Montana!

Want to move to Montana!

Old Aug 16th 2016, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to Montana!

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Getting a few callbacks and interviews for places in MT. Also applied for some work in WY as well just in case.

Hopefully a move will occur before too long.
Good luck, as I wrote ymay wish to consider north Idaho near border with Montana. Weather much better on that side of mountains.

I don't know it well, but Sheridan WY seemed to have some charm.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:57 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Good luck, as I wrote ymay wish to consider north Idaho near border with Montana. Weather much better on that side of mountains.

I don't know it well, but Sheridan WY seemed to have some charm.
Couer d'alene Is considered an excellent place, Great weather, not to wet with a fair amount of snow in the winter, but cold snaps tend to be a few days, not a week or two.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Couer d'alene Is considered an excellent place, Great weather, not to wet with a fair amount of snow in the winter, but cold snaps tend to be a few days, not a week or two.
Completely agree.

The lake is beautiful with the mountains. Weather as you describe , never too cold for long. In summer maybe a week or two one might want air conditioner. Two minutes from town to the national forest. Several ski resorts and golf courses in proximity.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Closing in on a position in Helena, MT. Should find out in the next week or so.

A couple of questions (only loosely related to the thread so far):

Mum will want to visit. I have done a search on the forum but there appear to be few threads recently about this. Her previous ESTA probably expired a couple of years ago. Is the ESTA process the same as about 4 years ago? I forget if she is told immediately if she is approved or if not, how long does ESTA usually take? (The ESTA website doesn't seem to say)

Also I have been searching on the rules for changing my out-of-state license for an MT one. Some say it's a straight swap with an eye test, others say I may have to take the written test, others say written + driving test. ???
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

ESTA works the same. Approval can be immediate or a day or so later.

Rene
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene.

Also is the procedure to inform USCIS of the new address the same? (AR-11?)
Old Aug 26th 2016, 6:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Also is the procedure to inform USCIS of the new address the same? (AR-11?)
Yes....but also if you had a sponsor who is moving with you, then they would need to notify them as well, it's the same form they used as the sponsor, not AR-11 and has to be mailed in the old fashioned way, unless that has changed.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

An interesting quirk for a position I am thinking of applying for.

It's for a company that has hotels around Glacier NP. But they also have hotels just across the border in Canada.

Would I need a work permit to perform work in Canada for a US company? Do US Citizens also still need a work permit to perform work in Canada?

Presumably all I need to enter Canada is my UK passport, although if they ask what I'm doing and I don't have a required permit for work, I guess that would be an issue.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Big issue
Old Sep 14th 2016, 6:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Would I need a work permit to perform work in Canada for a US company? Do US Citizens also still need a work permit to perform work in Canada?
Yes to the first bit, but if you're a US citizen, it could fall under the TN visa, which you get on the border, with letter of the job...but would also depend on what the position was as not all jobs would apply.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks.

Just about straight in the new apartment in Helena. Loving the 58F highs!
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

52F high tomorrow.

I think it may be sleeting now.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

This whole license exchange and registration/title switch-over is a ballache.

You have to make an appointment here to go apply for an MT license. And the soonest appointment in Helena is 62 days after I became a resident (you are allowed 60 days). So I have to travel an hour to Butte to get an appointment that's within the 60 day deadline.

Also since the bank holds my vehicle title as I still owe on it, I have to fill out some form to allow the state to enquire about legitimaty/conversion to an MT title. Is that the norm when moving state with a vehicle that has a loan against it? Or is it Montana being finicky. I figured I'd just take in my Ohio registration and they'd switch it over. But apparently not.

Maybe this is all just normal and I've just never had to deal with it since I've only lived in Ohio up until a couple of weeks ago.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:49 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

There's a big difference between being helpful and having a condescending "I know better than you so don't dismiss what I'm saying" attitude and acting like you'd be a dumb@$$ for not forgetting the whole idea of moving based on their advice.

That's crap and I don't need it.
I didn't say that even remotely. The fact of the matter is I've lived here a long time and the things you're saying are things I've heard A LOT of people say before moving to this part of the world (including to some extent myself) and I know based on lengthy experience, myself and those people were wrong in their assumptions.

For example, Helena. Helena is a pretty small place and is in a flat bit in the mountains. Northbound and southbound I-15 during the winter are very tricky. That picture I took on I-15 on the first page of this thread I took just north of the Monida Pass (i.e. a couple of hundred miles south of Helena).

Highway 12 west to Missoula from Helena is even more dicey during the winter than I-15.

If you think I'm being condescending and you know better, up to you, frankly I wish sometimes someone had condescended to me a bit before I moved here! All I can say is you've never changed a tire on the hard shoulder of I-15 in the winter. Various sections of I-15 are canted toward the west because of how windy it is.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Not sure what part of the UK you lived in, but up in NI, 13C would have been quite a nice day with some sun
10 here right now, high of 6 forecast tomorrow - in the first week of October.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.