Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Wikiposts

Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Old Apr 28th 2016, 4:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

A .223 is extreme?

In Colorado it would not be legal to use against anything bigger than a rabbit.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Originally Posted by dc koop

Home defencee is a reason for many to keep a weapon or weapons around the house. Living in a low crime affluent area doesn't guarantee round the clock freedom from harm. Gang members from such places as San Bernardino and L.A have been known to hit residences along the Foothill communities. The proximity to freeways also allows for a fast escape
But unless you are standing ready, weapon drawn, realistically how quickly would you be able to get your gun for self-defence? Sleep with it loaded under the pillow? This is the arguement I've used with DH. Tbh 99% of robberies are committed while the residents are out, why would you rob the house when people are in, when most houses are unoccupied at least some of the time.

We've been burgled twice. In the UK. First was a door broken down while I was at work and some (Argos) jewellery stolen. Second was while DH was in bed asleep (during the day - he works night shift) and the burglar took his rucksack from the kitchen. The laptop was left alone, I've a feeling that as soon as the robber realised DH was in, he scarpered PDQ!

A girl at work once said that if she was burgled, she'd have to move. I didn't feel that way. As long as they didn't hurt my pets (No1 priority) nor wreck the place, I could get over it. TVs etc can be replaced, though I admit that I'd be upset if they took the laptop because of all the photos on it. It's things like photos that are important to me rather than valuable in monetary terms. And our laptop is old, TVs are only 24 and 28 inches, not 3D or anything like that, we haven't got iPhones. I've always hoped thieves would consider our stuff too crap to bother with lol!
Old Apr 28th 2016, 7:22 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hope it didn't ruin your trip dude
No, but it did prevent us from going to a bar in Dallas recommended in our Lonely Planet. Got there just as they were wheeling out the body. It was the final straw during an evening in which it took us nearly two hours to get into the city thanks to huge tailbacks with some of the worst driving I've seen in the States followed by some drug addict half-heartedly trying to steal money out my hand as I was putting it in the parking meter. Turned round, got back in the car and didn't stop until we reached the first motel beyond the city limits. Bit of a mistake since the place was obviously being used as a brothel. I'm not a big fan of Dallas as a result.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that AR-15s are extreme. I never saw the sense in owning such a weapon. The AK47 is a weapon popular enough among hard core gang members. Where they get them from is a mystery though I suspect they originally slip through the gun show loop holes

I wouldn't see any reason to limit the number of weapons a person owns. Many gun owners are collectors of modern and antique weapons and there's no harm in that and they are mentally normal with it. Numbers of weapons don't really mean much. A person who decides to go on a shooting spree only needs one weapon to do the job anyway.

Home defencee is a reason for many to keep a weapon or weapons around the house. Living in a low crime affluent area doesn't guarantee round the clock freedom from harm. Gang members from such places as San Bernardino and L.A have been known to hit residences along the Foothill communities. The proximity to freeways also allows for a fast escape
I don't think collecting is a good enough reason to allow multiple gun ownership unless the weapons are deactivated or stored somewhere very safe. For the good of society we need weapons enthusiasts to make some concessions.

I know in Britain that home defence isn't a valid reason to own a gun. I'm inclined to think the same here, although perhaps a better option is to allow the ownership of a shotgun. If you're that worried about an intruder then a shotgun is a far more effective weapon than a pistol.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 9:40 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre
I don't think collecting is a good enough reason to allow multiple gun ownership unless the weapons are deactivated or stored somewhere very safe. For the good of society we need weapons enthusiasts to make some concessions.

I know in Britain that home defence isn't a valid reason to own a gun. I'm inclined to think the same here, although perhaps a better option is to allow the ownership of a shotgun. If you're that worried about an intruder then a shotgun is a far more effective weapon than a pistol.
Awfully messy, bits of brain matter splattered all over the place, drywalling looking like a Swiss cheese and my wife very upset because her expensive carpeting has nasty stains all over it. I'll stick with the Glock instead.

Last edited by Bob; Apr 28th 2016 at 11:39 am. Reason: quote fix
Old Apr 28th 2016, 9:50 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
No, but it did prevent us from going to a bar in Dallas recommended in our Lonely Planet. Got there just as they were wheeling out the body. It was the final straw during an evening in which it took us nearly two hours to get into the city thanks to huge tailbacks with some of the worst driving I've seen in the States followed by some drug addict half-heartedly trying to steal money out my hand as I was putting it in the parking meter. Turned round, got back in the car and didn't stop until we reached the first motel beyond the city limits. Bit of a mistake since the place was obviously being used as a brothel. I'm not a big fan of Dallas as a result.
Not your lucky day obviously. I've driven all over the north and south west and across to Colorado and to eastern New Mexico, literally thousands of miles over the years. Never had a problem anywhere of any sort. I dare say there are plenty of dodgy motels which is why we always use Best Western, Four Points or Holiday Inn Express.

Try something nicer than Dallas next time
Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:15 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Not your lucky day obviously. I've driven all over the north and south west and across to Colorado and to eastern New Mexico, literally thousands of miles over the years. Never had a problem anywhere of any sort. I dare say there are plenty of dodgy motels which is why we always use Best Western, Four Points or Holiday Inn Express.

Try something nicer than Dallas next time
I appreciate it wasn't a normal course of events. We did 10,000 miles on that trip and Dallas was the only place we didn't feel safe. Needless to say I am not raring to go back any time soon.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Man. You know how to live.

My Dad nearly got arrested at gunpoint once for not understanding or accepting the assorted choice of breads for a sandwich.

It was Florida mind you and he was with my errant hobo brother.

Brother was once shot in the leg . The circumstances though are something of a mystery.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 11:18 am
Banned

I appreciate it wasn't a normal course of events. We did 10,000 miles on that trip and Dallas was the only place we didn't feel safe. Needless to say I am not raring to go back any time soon.
The problems of criminal activity here are not the same as in the UK. Home invasions in the UK would be difficult to carry out, the density of housing and the narrower streets and traffic would be a problem for anyone wanting to bust into a home.

Over the years we've had home invasions on a couple of occasions both by gang members from distant L.A, The houses are all detached with shrubbery and walls in between so a robber (as is what happened on one occasion) robbed a homeowner as he was getting out of his car inside his garage while the power door was still up. The streets are wide and traffic light, freeway less than a mile away and once off the surface streets it's easy to get distance very quickly from the scene of the crime.

As regards owners who possess numerous types of firearms these should always be kept in a proper gun safe with the key well hidden away. On many occasions when accidents occur it's because guns are left around for kids to get their hands on. So it's not so much a case of guns being the villains but human stupidity and carelessness instead. I would imagine that if a child were killed because of a situation like that then the parents would be held liable under the law for criminal negligence

Last edited by dc koop; Apr 28th 2016 at 11:20 am.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 11:22 am
Banned

Well if Dallas wasn't safe for President Kennedy who else was it ever safe for?
Old Apr 28th 2016, 11:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

....I would imagine that if a child were killed because of a situation like that then the parents would be held liable under the law for criminal negligence
Over here, in the US? That absolutely never happens. It's always a sad "tragic" accident and the family has already so much grief to deal with.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a typical Saturday night in Dallas.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre
Exactly, they are just too dangerous a thing to entrust to most people. That's why the strict licensing that you see in countries like the UK is pretty effective.
In England the Queen is sovereign, in America the American people are sovereign. So how do you tell the sovereign that they are to disarm? You need to get your head around that.

As for the gun crime in America it is no worse than what the European elite pulled off in WWI and WWII. Guess what, the Americans had the lowest casualty rates especially in WWI. For instance the Austrian Army in WWI had a casualty rate of somewhere around 90%. When you disarm the citizen you empower the Elite.

Last edited by jeepster; Apr 28th 2016 at 5:02 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 2:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jeepster
In England the Queen is sovereign, in America the American people are sovereign. So how do you tell the sovereign that they are to disarm? You need to get your head around that.

As for the gun crime in America it is no worse than what the European elite pulled off in WWI and WWII. Guess what, the Americans had the lowest casualty rates especially in WWI. For instance the Austrian Army in WWI had a casualty rate of somewhere around 90%. When you disarm the citizen you empower the Elite.
Don't forget though that America only entered the First World War in 1917.
That said many of their soldiers came from rural areas and had grown up with firearms and while they lacked any battle experience they certainly knew how to shoot well.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster

What is it that this elite is not doing because average Americans possess weapons?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.