Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Wikiposts

Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Originally Posted by Leslie
[Nothing useful to say, so resorts to crude insults.]
Post #56 above.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 12:52 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'll just continue to bloviate about things of which I know nothing and direct people to my previous postings and maybe they won't notice that I've said nothing significant at all. Post #56 above.
It's just as tiresome the second time around.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Which is pretty much my point, yet I am pilloried by an American, no less for daring to share Americans' coping strategy.

America sucks if you're poor, and I have advised a number of people on BE over the years that immigrating to the US is a bad idea if you're poor, because, among other reasons, living in a poor part of town can be dangerous, and even post ACA, healthcare (insurance + copays + deductible) is likely to take a a significant part of your income even if you're healthy, and can make your life miserable if you're not.
It all depends on what you class as being "poor"

I read some of the questions about living wage on here and I am just shocked when some of the posters claim that certain annual incomes just won't be enough. A lot of times the amount being quoted is higher than our combined income and yet people think they will struggle on it

I guess we are poor people
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
It all depends on what you class as being "poor"

I read some of the questions about living wage on here and I am just shocked when some of the posters claim that certain annual incomes just won't be enough. A lot of times the amount being quoted is higher than our combined income and yet people think they will struggle on it

I guess we are poor people
Slumdog.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Slumdog.
poor rednecked white trash chavs. That's us
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:10 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
poor rednecked white trash chavs. That's us
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you not see a gun, even in WalMart?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:50 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Which is pretty much my point, yet I am pilloried by an American, no less for daring to share Americans' coping strategy.

America sucks if you're poor, and I have advised a number of people on BE over the years that immigrating to the US is a bad idea if you're poor, because, among other reasons, living in a poor part of town can be dangerous, and even post ACA, healthcare (insurance + copays + deductible) is likely to take a a significant part of your income even if you're healthy, and can make your life miserable if you're not.
Anyone sponsoring a family relative to the US has to sign a declaration of support for that relative for ten years or until that relative becomes a US citizen. That was my experience. They don't want poor people or anyone likely to become a liability.

I agree on the subject of habitat. Unless you can afford to buy a 450,000 dollar property at least and meet the mortgage payments or pay around $1,900 per month at least to rent chances are you would not be able to live in a reasonably safe low crime area in this part of the world
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dc koop
Anyone sponsoring a family relative to the US has to sign a declaration of support for that relative for ten years or until that relative becomes a US citizen. That was my experience. They don't want poor people or anyone likely to become a liability.

I agree on the subject of habitat. Unless you can afford to buy a 450,000 dollar property at least and meet the mortgage payments or pay around $1,900 per month at least to rent chances are you would not be able to live in a reasonably safe low crime area in this part of the world

I guess it is late.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 5:00 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

I guess it is late.
Yeah I know.. another none believer. Come to the sunshine state and find out for yourself
Old Apr 26th 2016, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

The poorer, cheaper areas around me are not necessarily crime-infested ghettos. I'm happy to wander into them for the interesting international grocery shopping, and I even Park and Ride there to use the local bus service to go into the city center (to the frank disbelief and horror of all my neighbors).

But they DO universally all have terrible schools (really terrible - we deliberately avoided the tightly-controlled Stepford suburbs with their 10/10 schools full of hot-housed children in favor of a pleasantly diverse 7/10 school district, so I'm not preciously ivory tower about schools, but some of the ones in other areas are an embarrassment to a 1st world country).

Many of the people who come here asking about 'is X enough to buy/ rent/ live' have children, and sure, they COULD come and live in the edgier part of town, but I'm sure it's not the white picket fence expat dream they're envisaging.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dc koop

Not everyone wants or needs to live in California, there are plenty of other states that are affordable.

I guess it is late.

..oh yeah!
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:10 am
Just Joined

yankabroad is an unknown quantity at this point

This post seemed to get a little off track. I like reading other people's opinions about living in the USA though.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 1:55 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you not see a gun, even in WalMart?
You can't sell guns at Walmart in Chicago, Massachusetts or DC, the three places I've lived longest. You're in CO, one of the more "gun intensive" areas of the country. It's a big country, things vary. If you're from NYC, a gun is likely an instrument of terror to you and only maniacs would want to own a gun. If you're in rural TN, you likely grew up plinking cans with your .22 and wonder what all the fuss is about. I guess I've seen a gun at Cabela's. My point is I've never seen a gun "in the wild". Is my experience typical? Perhaps not. As I said, people's experiences vary. I was reacting to blanket statements about Americans and guns.

Also, I disagree that "most Americans" ignore gun violence. I think it's a galvanizing issue, top of mind for most Americans and one that is hugely important. People disagree on the causes of and solutions to the issue, but that shouldn't be confused with apathy over the issue. Debating gun violence results in some of the more passionate debates in the country.

Last edited by Hiro11; Apr 27th 2016 at 1:57 am.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 1:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hiro11
You can't sell guns at Walmart in Chicago, Massachusetts or DC, the three places I've lived longest. You're in CO, one of the more "gun intensive" areas of the country. It's a big country, things vary. If you're from NYC, a gun is likely an instrument of terror to you and only maniacs would want to own a gun. If you're in rural TN, you likely grew up plinking cans with your .22 and wonder what all the fuss is about. I guess I've seen a gun at Cabela's. My point is I've never seen a gun "in the wild". Is my experience typical? Perhaps not. As I said, people's experiences vary. I was reacting to blanket statements about Americans and guns.

Also, I disagree that "most Americans" ignore gun violence. I think it's a galvanizing issue, top of mind for most Americans and one that is hugely important. People disagree on the causes of and solutions to the issue, but that shouldn't be confused with apathy over the issue. Gun rights advocates are hugely concerned with gun violence. Debating gun violence resulting in some of the more passionate debates in the country.
Colorado gun intensive?

Chicago and DC would seem to have a much better claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.