Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Wikiposts

Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've lived here 44 years and never seen a gun other than those on a cop's belt. Obviously, peoples' experiences vary.
I agree. I live in a rural area, and hear guns frequently, fired for sport or leisure purposes. I can't recall the last time I saw one, other than carried by a police officer.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've lived here 44 years and never seen a gun other than those on a cop's belt. Obviously, peoples' experiences vary.
I think he's more getting at the number of gun incidents and deaths. Gun murders are everyday occurrences here but extremely rare in the UK.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre
I think he's more getting at the number of gun incidents and deaths. Gun murders are everyday occurrences here but extremely rare in the UK.
Gun murders are confined almost entirely to certain segments of the US population, to people who engage in certain activities (like the story from Ohio last weekend ), and/or to the poorer parts of urban areas where those groups live. "Middle America" can, and does, ignore the issue of gun crime because for the most part it has no impact on them.

The biggest crime issue in recent years where I live was when several youths went from house to house at night "breaking into" cars parked on driveways, to steal GPSs and phones, by pulling on the vehicles' door handles to see if they were unlocked.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 26th 2016 at 4:14 am.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

If you're saying that more crime occurs in cities than the country then I agree with you. But there are still way more gun deaths in rural areas than the UK so I don't really see the difference.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 5:23 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

If you're saying that more crime occurs in cities than the country then I agree with you. But there are still way more gun deaths in rural areas than the UK so I don't really see the difference.
Welcome to Pulaski's world. Anything that didn't specifically happen to HIM is a lie and --- anybody who doesn't know that must be stupid.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Welcome to Pulaski's world. Anything that didn't specifically happen to HIM is a lie and --- anybody who doesn't know that must be stupid.
Yes, I've already experienced being called stupid.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 5:31 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

My personal experience of crime, a rear view mirror nicked from my car back in the 70s. I still contact our local detective bureau to check on the progress of the investigation
Old Apr 26th 2016, 5:38 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and, if you don't know all of the US immigration laws prior to asking questions about immigration ---- you are a mental defective!!
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:01 am

Welcome to Pulaski's world. Anything that didn't specifically happen to HIM is a lie ....
I'm not sure what your point is. I knew no killers in the UK, and only one victim (I just remembered this one, but hadn't remembered when I posted on this topic previously), whereas I now know of two men in prison in the US for homicide, for unrelated crimes (I knew them fairly well, and met them many times, though I wouldn't consider either to be a "friend", and curiously, none of the killings were shootings), and two victims, one reportedly shot over a debt, and the other killed for his week's pay.

I don't know that my experience is typical. What do you think?

My only point was not that killings happen, but that most Americans manage to compartmentalize the high homicide rate out of their own lives.
You admitted to polical naivety, and inferred the insult from that.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 26th 2016 at 6:07 am.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:20 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm not sure what your point is. I knew no killers in the UK, and only one victim (I just remembered this one, but hadn't remembered when I posted on this topic previously), whereas I now know of two men in prison in the US for homicide, for unrelated crimes (I knew them fairly well, and met them many times, though I wouldn't consider either to be a "friend", and curiously, none of the killings were shootings), and two victims, one reportedly shot over a debt, and the other killed for his week's pay.

I don't know that my experience is typical. What do you think?

My only point was not that killings happen, but that most Americans manage to compartmentalize the high homicide rate out of their own lives.

You admitted to polical naivety, and inferred the insult from that.

By "most Americans" I'm sure you mean people with a reasonable amount of affluence. So what you should say is "most Americans that I know and who are like me" ... because there are plenty of Americans whose experience is nothing like your own.

Gun deaths and gun related crimes are an abomination in this country and they effect all of us --- some directly and some indirectly. The fact that, as a matter of survival, people choose to block this information out of their daily lives has more to do with cognitive dissonance than actual experience. The fact that we've become inured to unnecessary deaths and violence is nothing to be proud of and certainly nothing to lecture potential immigrants about.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:28 am

By "most Americans" I'm sure you mean people with a reasonable amount of affluence. So what you should say is "most Americans that I know and who are like me" ... because there are plenty of Americans whose experience is nothing like your own.

Gun deaths and gun related crimes are an abomination in this country and they effect all of us --- some directly and some indirectly. The fact that, as a matter of survival, people choose to block this information out of their daily lives has more to do with cognitive dissonance than actual experience. The fact that we've become inured to unnecessary deaths and violence is nothing to be proud of and certainly nothing to lecture potential immigrants about.
My audience is typically would-be and soon-to-be immigrants to the US, who also have "a reasonable amount of affluence", and I tailor my posts accordingly.

I am powerless to do anything myself about gun crime in the US, and so I try not to worry about it, it would be futile and frustrating. I just try to stay out of the way.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:30 am
WTF?

My audience is typically would-be and soon-to-be immigrants to the US, who also have "a reasonable amount of affluence", and I tailor my posts accordingly.

I am powerless to do anything myself about gun crime in the US, and so I try not to worry about it, it would be futile and frustrating. I just try to stay out of the way.
Oh. That's awesome then.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:10 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing to be done about it. The second amendment will not be repealed, people will not give up their guns, attempts to outlaw high powered assault type weapons will by stymied by the NRA so it's like earthquakes, hurricanes and tornados. You just learn to live with the shit and hope it never hits you.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by dc koop
There is nothing to be done about it. The second amendment will not be repealed, people will not give up their guns, attempts to outlaw high powered assault type weapons will by stymied by the NRA so it's like earthquakes, hurricanes and tornados. You just learn to live with the shit and hope it never hits you.
Which is pretty much my point, yet I am pilloried by an American, no less for daring to share Americans' coping strategy.

America sucks if you're poor, and I have advised a number of people on BE over the years that immigrating to the US is a bad idea if you're poor, because, among other reasons, living in a poor part of town can be dangerous, and even post ACA, healthcare (insurance + copays + deductible) is likely to take a a significant part of your income even if you're healthy, and can make your life miserable if you're not.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 26th 2016 at 9:24 am.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:26 am
WTF?

Which is pretty much my point, yet I am pilloried by an American, no less for daring to share Americans' coping strategy.

America sucks if you're poor, and I have advised a number of people on BE over the years that immigrating to the US is a bad idea if you're poor, because, among other reasons, living in a poor part of town can be dangerous, and even post ACA, healthcare (insurance + copays + deductible) is likely to take a a significant part of your income even if you're healthy, and can make your life miserable if you're not.
Being wealthy is not a coping strategy you complete and utter tool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.