Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Volunteering as a job getting tactic - worth it?

Volunteering as a job getting tactic - worth it?

Old Apr 20th 2014, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Volunteering as a job getting tactic - worth it?

I have been having trouble securing even an interview over the last 6 weeks since I landed in the US - I am trying to do the right things (linkedin to set up informational interviews, a different resume for every job etc.) but I must admit that I would have expected to have got an interview by now (not a job offer, but an interview). I have registered with local agencies, phoned employers etc. I am applying for jobs with an estimated salary requirement of around $30,000+ (I was on $32,000+ in the UK) which I think is reasonable for my level of experience I have (8 years of education admin experience, and a few years of casual journalism experience). I have tried applying for a few minimum wage jobs as well as money is getting tight, but not having much luck there either.

Sooo ... I am thinking of volunteering so I can get a work-routine going, as I am used to being busy. I am also thinking it may demonstrate 'local' roots, as I have no local US experience, because I haven't had a US job yet

Anyone had luck with this kind of strategy?

Hoffage
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:00 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Volunteering as a job getting tactic - worth it?

A friend of ours did something similar, though not sure she was actually doing it as a job hunting tactic. She was qualified as a nurse overseas, but used to volunteer on the front desk at our local elementary while waiting for their greencards. When the position of nurses assistant came open, she was is an ideal position to apply, and got the job.

If nothing else, getting out and volunteering gives you something to put on your resume, gets you into the "local" way of doing things, the local community, and shows you are not workshy. It may actually help you from going stir crazy, too! Just make sure you don't get so busy volunteering that you don't have time to apply for paid jobs!

Good luck.

ETA she was volunteering for aboou 2 years before she got the paid position...

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Apr 20th 2014 at 2:32 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

By all means do volunteer work to keep yourself occupied but I doubt very much that it will help in getting a paying job unless it helps you to network in an area relevant to your search for employment.

6 weeks may seem like a long time but it really isn't when trying to find a job right now.

Have you "americanized" your resume - that might help in getting over the first hurdle of at least getting your application considered.

Good luck!
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to go that way. For months you can't get an interview and then all of a sudden, you get interviews and several job offers.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
By all means do volunteer work to keep yourself occupied but I doubt very much that it will help in getting a paying job unless it helps you to network in an area relevant to your search for employment.

6 weeks may seem like a long time but it really isn't when trying to find a job right now.

Have you "americanized" your resume - that might help in getting over the first hurdle of at least getting your application considered.

Good luck!
Hi - yep have condensed all my experience down to one page and americanized spellings. I have also put at the top that I am fully work authorised (authorized - american) with a greencard.

I guess I need to be more patient - my missus (who is the american) has two interviews lined up for part-time work so that should tide us over until I get something more regular and she gets into her 'career' role as well.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
A friend of ours did something similar, though not sure she was actually doing it as a job hunting tactic. She was qualified as a nurse overseas, but used to volunteer on the front desk at our local elementary while waiting for their greencards. When the position of nurses assistant came open, she was is an ideal position to apply, and got the job.

If nothing else, getting out and volunteering gives you something to put on your resume, gets you into the "local" way of doing things, the local community, and shows you are not workshy. It may actually help you from going stir crazy, too! Just make sure you don't get so busy volunteering that you don't have time to apply for paid jobs!

Good luck.

ETA she was volunteering for aboou 2 years before she got the paid position...

Thanks Yorkie

Yes, the stir-crazy element is quite pertinent to me, especially as we are living with OH's grandmother who is proving quite challenging ... we were told before we moved by my in-laws that she was quite independent but we seemed to have become 'de facto' carers for her as she is proving the opposite (and very fussy too) - tbh it is quite draining at times.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I had an interesting year in 2013.
I was looking for a job and I used every method I could to get interviews. Linkedin, indeed.com, tons of targeted resumes.

Actually ended up with @ two, three interviews a week either flying all over the country or skype video call or phone interview.

After a whole year and no offers I stopped looking. Reckoned it was my age. Low 50's.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 5:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I did it, it is something on the CV to show you are active, and keeps you in the work routine, no real downside.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, volunteering is no guarantee of a job. Volunteer because you want to and not because you think it will lead to a job. I volunteered for well over a year at a local organisation. Got on well with everyone, did lots of different roles. When a job came up I applied - loads of relevant experience etc - didn't even get an interview. I do enjoy volunteering - it's fulfilling and helps with the stir-crazy feelings, but it seems no more likely to get you a job than any other route.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
I have been having trouble securing even an interview over the last 6 weeks since I landed in the US - I am trying to do the right things (linkedin to set up informational interviews, a different resume for every job etc.) but I must admit that I would have expected to have got an interview by now (not a job offer, but an interview). I have registered with local agencies, phoned employers etc. I am applying for jobs with an estimated salary requirement of around $30,000+ (I was on $32,000+ in the UK) which I think is reasonable for my level of experience I have (8 years of education admin experience, and a few years of casual journalism experience). I have tried applying for a few minimum wage jobs as well as money is getting tight, but not having much luck there either.

Sooo ... I am thinking of volunteering so I can get a work-routine going, as I am used to being busy. I am also thinking it may demonstrate 'local' roots, as I have no local US experience, because I haven't had a US job yet

Hoffage
Don't know about volunteering I'm afraid, but have you tried with staffing/contract/temp agencies? Don't know if they are doing that in your area, but a position that way is low risk for the company and sometimes they find that they like you and you can worm your way into a permanent job.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:58 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

My experiane thus far is that a lot of it is about luck.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 11:31 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Don't know about volunteering I'm afraid, but have you tried with staffing/contract/temp agencies? Don't know if they are doing that in your area, but a position that way is low risk for the company and sometimes they find that they like you and you can worm your way into a permanent job.
+1
I did a few temp jobs, a few weeks each, then one came up that was temp to perm. Took a year but I got hired. Been there 7/8 years now.

The only interview I ever had was with the Temp agency in the beginning.

My company is large, but it seems that is how they do recruitment, at lower levels. Everyone who joined my group since, was either a temp hired on, or an inter department transfer.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123

Hoffage
It depends where you're at. You have to go where the jobs are: http://www.jobsnd.com/news/3835
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Volunteering can leads to a job, but again it may not. If your truly interested in volunteering, then go for it, it can't hurt, but if you have no real interest in volunteering and only doing it to try and lead to a job, I really don't see the point since it may just end up being a waste of time.

It may just be your experience/education isn't what employers are looking for in the 30k+ range, may need to try looking in the lower range, but above min. wage as if you have any real experience in the work world, most of those kinds of employers won't be interested as they know you will leave at the drop of a hat.