Vermont weekend?

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vermont weekend?

Around March/April, thinking of spending a weekend up there and looking for suggestions.

It's so close, yet only driven through the tip to get to Montreal and haven't actually seen anything of the state properly.

Was thinking of Burlington, being the only real city I know and it's on the lake, but that's 3.5 hrs drive away.

Any other suggestions for places to check out?

Driving up from MA....but might decide to stay in NH, in the mountain areas around Conway ish area. Not sure yet.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vermont weekend?

We stayed in a "cabin style" hotel (rooms in separate blocks of perhaps eight rooms in each) once in Vermont. It was shear hell, after a school ski-trip party showed up around 11pm, an hour after Mrs P and I turned in for an early night. It was after 2am before they finally quietened down! I waited a while after they first arrived, but eventually phoned the front desk around midnight, then again at 1am, .... and again at 2am to report that someone had started playing a guitar! I stayed around in the morning to "have a discussion" with the manager, and after turning down another night for free (one sleepless night was enough, why would I sign up for a second? ), my offer to pay $15 for the overheads was accepted.

So be sure to ask in any hotel if they have a school party staying.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 22nd 2014 at 4:12 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

So be sure to ask in any hotel if they have a school party staying.
We've got a freebie night going already

It's the hockey crowd we're most worried about as we know locally, that hockey parents are the biggest chavs I've ever seen here
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I always enjoyed going to Bennington, Vermont. It is quaint village type area and I love going to the speckleware outlet for the kitchenwares made in Bennington.

I meet my husband for the first time in Rutland, but there isn't much in Rutland.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

The kids might enjoy a trip to Ben & Jerry's even though it will probably still be cold up there.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by joto
The kids might enjoy a trip to Ben & Jerry's even though it will probably still be cold up there.
I'm hoping we get to leave the kids behind

Though B&J's could still be fun
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:04 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Burlington is a bit of a dump and actually the only part of VT I'd avoid. It's a bit touristy and not as rural as the state truly is. I recommend trying out random B&Bs in small towns. Relax, eat good food, go hiking or horseback riding.

Try Stowe, it's a touristy ski town but very attractive and near the beautiful Mt. Mansfield. Smaller northern towns like Essex or Jericho are awesome if you want true farmland / rural northern VT.

Middlebury is a beautiful college town and has some nice hotels and food.

Rural Southern VT is beautiful, towns like Putney etc.

Both the NY and VT sides of Lake Champlain are wonderful.

Last edited by Hiro11; Jan 22nd 2014 at 7:09 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Burlington is a bit of a dump and actually the only part of VT I'd avoid. It's a bit touristy and not as rural as the state truly is. I recommend trying out random B&Bs in small towns. Relax, eat good food, go hiking or horseback riding.
Wouldn't it be a bit cold that time of year for hiking? I like the suggestion though, but I'm not horse riding and the missus isn't into hiking...plus we've got a free stay at one of the chain hotels that we've got to use up.

I liked the idea of the lake, but as I've only just started to google, haven't really got any ideas set up.

Stowe idea sounds good too and seen some potential ideas along the NH border as well.

Basically we're looking to go somewhere a bit different and I'd like to actually see a bit of Vermont, rather than just as a technicality of driving through the northern tip at 3 in the morning

Rural farmlands aren't that important though, but could be nice. A small town to putter around and do something and have a dinner is kind of the pace we're thinking.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

That time of year is a bit unpredictable weather wise, could be 70 degrees or might get a foot of snow

I would do route 100 up through VT and visit Middlebury, Montpelier and Burlington, maybe Waterbury or Stowe. I know you are both big cooks, the King Arthur flour place is near Burlington and has a coffee shop and bakery, they also do baking classes, the B &J factory is near Waterbury and they do a free tour and sample I would love to visit Lake Champlain, haven't been yet so can't offer any advice, perhaps Cindy could give you a little more help about North VT as that's where she grew up.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 10:48 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Both the NY and VT sides of Lake Champlain are wonderful.
Originally Posted by nethead
I would love to visit Lake Champlain, haven't been yet so can't offer any advice, perhaps Cindy could give you a little more help about North VT as that's where she grew up.
Lake Champlain is quite beautiful, even in the winter.

If you were going in May, you could take the kids just across the border to the famous Revolutionary War site Fort Ticonderoga, in New York state. In nicer weather it's a lot of fun to wander around and watch the re-enactments. It's only an hour & some drive from Burlington VT. BUT it's closed from October till May if I recall correctly.

http://www.fortticonderoga.org/learn/re-enactors

Last edited by WEBlue; Jan 22nd 2014 at 10:51 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 12:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by WEBlue
If you were going in May, you could take the kids just across the border to the famous Revolutionary War site Fort Ticonderoga, in New York state. In nicer weather it's a lot of fun to wander around and watch the re-enactments. It's only an hour & some drive from Burlington VT. BUT it's closed from October till May if I recall correctly.

http://www.fortticonderoga.org/learn/re-enactors
That sounds pretty fun...but I think we've got to use the stay by April, need to double check out....but we're already driving 3.5 hrs to Burlington if we head there already so not sure about adding another hour.

It is right up my street for a place to check out though as I rather liked Gettysburg when we winged that way over the summer.