Verified by Visa

Old Aug 29th 2019, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Verified by Visa

Does anyone else have a UK debit/credit card that requires "Verified by Visa"? If so how do you get around not having a UK mobile number?
Thanks
Old Aug 29th 2019, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Verified by Visa

Originally Posted by mrken30
Does anyone else have a UK debit/credit card that requires "Verified by Visa"? If so how do you get around not having a UK mobile number?
Thanks
Things must have changed as we had a "verified by visa" debit card for years while living in the USA without a UK mobile number. Must be a tightening of regulations?

Must it be a mobile number, as I know several folks here in England that don't have a mobile phone, still only have a landline. Will a landline not work with a robotic voice speaking the code? This is what works for us living in the UK with USA financial accounts. We pay $50/year for a USA Skype number and when needed use that for 2nd level verification.

ETA
Our verified by visa still works on a password we set up years ago. Get prompted for, say, the 2nd, 5th and 7th character. We have always had HSBC cards.
https://secure6.arcot.com/vpas/hsbc/

Last edited by durham_lad; Aug 29th 2019 at 8:38 am.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Mempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really nice

I had this issue and what i got from Bank is this excuse about fraud and money laundering. When i challenged the person at the other end of the phone about that being BS on Visa part. As in NO chip and pin in USA, oh and 20 plus years of dealing with them from the vendor side of things, they suddenly fluffed their lines and fixed it that when i use card and 'verified' shows up, it goes straight through.
they insisted its the banks forcing this not them.
Best suggestion is to call card issuer.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mempete
I had this issue and what i got from Bank is this excuse about fraud and money laundering. When i challenged the person at the other end of the phone about that being BS on Visa part. As in NO chip and pin in USA, oh and 20 plus years of dealing with them from the vendor side of things, they suddenly fluffed their lines and fixed it that when i use card and 'verified' shows up, it goes straight through.
they insisted its the banks forcing this not them.
Best suggestion is to call card issuer.
It's all around charge back liability. It's called 3D secure and it insures the merchant against possible charge backs for stolen cards. Not sure if the issuer or the bank are the ones that pay our though.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 11:41 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

We have 3 Visa debit cards, on different accounts, with the same bank. Many years ago (2010?) 1 card suddenly triggered the 'verified by visa' process and, very occasionally, requires characters from the password (set years ago) to proceed. Most uses it does not require the verification. The other 2 cards have never triggered 'verified by visa'. SO far there's been no request for a phone number. though...

The said bank wrote to me recently, to my long-standing US address, to say that a test text message sent to my mobile phone number on record (a US number) had failed and I needed to get in touch. They went on to say ignore this if you live abroad as the text message system only works with UK numbers. Give them another 20 years and they'll eventually get things figured out...
Old Aug 29th 2019, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Mempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really nice

Well i had issues with an ATM at Gatwick about 4 months ago and in the end Visa slammed my bank with the bill.(Barclays). I only found out because my ex has worked there for 40 yrs and was in a position to see how it played out. Apparently the digital track on these things is very revealing about whose computer was asleep at the wheel at any given moment!!.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mempete
I only found out because my ex has worked there for 40 yrs and was in a position to see how it played out. Apparently the digital track on these things is very revealing about whose computer was asleep at the wheel at any given moment!!.
I'd be unimpressed if an ex-partner of mine - no matter how friendly the relationship - was ever in a position to access any of my information at a bank.

Isn't that a sackable offense?

My understanding from an ex who worked for Lloyds was that you basically never had any legitimate reason to access the information of friends and family, and if you ever had to deal with a matter where you had to do so then you were to hand the case/call/letter over to a neutral colleague to handle instead.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

No not sackable, as i had kept joint account open for her to deal with any UK issues. I also gave her P.O.A.on the account. We parted amicably and we kept joint title on a house as a form of savings for our retirements. The 'verified' came up on the cards related to this account so she had legitimate domain in the matter.
Oh ..i forgot to add she always had a manager oversee her actions to ensure all was ok.

Last edited by Mempete; Aug 29th 2019 at 5:28 pm. Reason: Added content
Old Aug 30th 2019, 12:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
We have 3 Visa debit cards, on different accounts, with the same bank. Many years ago (2010?) 1 card suddenly triggered the 'verified by visa' process and, very occasionally, requires characters from the password (set years ago) to proceed. Most uses it does not require the verification. The other 2 cards have never triggered 'verified by visa'. SO far there's been no request for a phone number. though...

The said bank wrote to me recently, to my long-standing US address, to say that a test text message sent to my mobile phone number on record (a US number) had failed and I needed to get in touch. They went on to say ignore this if you live abroad as the text message system only works with UK numbers. Give them another 20 years and they'll eventually get things figured out...
I ended up closing my US bank account (am in Canada) as they went to a system where to sign in I needed to receive a code by text, but they only send text's to US based numbers, and they didn't offer an email option, and it got to the point I could not longer access the account online at all so I closed it rather then try to fuss with it all.
Old Aug 30th 2019, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I ended up closing my US bank account (am in Canada) as they went to a system where to sign in I needed to receive a code by text, but they only send text's to US based numbers, and they didn't offer an email option, and it got to the point I could not longer access the account online at all so I closed it rather then try to fuss with it all.
Our US brokerage is like that, not every login, but occasionally. It is where our retirement accounts (IRAs) are so it is very important to us. Consequently it costs us ~$50 / year to maintain a US number through Skype.

Our US bank uses an app for 2nd level verification which is much easier to deal with as an overseas customer.

when the US SS website added 2nd level verification they also insisted on a mobile phone to text a number to, but fortunately enough folks complained that they only had landlines so they changed to emailing a verification code. (Some folks don’t have email but then they wouldn’t be accessing their accounts online anyway).
Old Aug 30th 2019, 8:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather email verification over text. We only have 1 cell phone and we have come across issues where we both have an account with a company or website but they wont let us use the same number, total pain. Whoever is creating these methods seem to think everyone has their own cell phone not thinking that maybe spouses are sharing a cell phone, no need for us to have one each for example.

I find so far its mostly the US companies I deal with doing the text only verification, but its catching on in Canada now as well.

Originally Posted by durham_lad

Our US brokerage is like that, not every login, but occasionally. It is where our retirement accounts (IRAs) are so it is very important to us. Consequently it costs us ~$50 / year to maintain a US number through Skype.

Our US bank uses an app for 2nd level verification which is much easier to deal with as an overseas customer.

when the US SS website added 2nd level verification they also insisted on a mobile phone to text a number to, but fortunately enough folks complained that they only had landlines so they changed to emailing a verification code. (Some folks don’t have email but then they wouldn’t be accessing their accounts online anyway).
Old Aug 30th 2019, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I would rather email verification over text. We only have 1 cell phone and we have come across issues where we both have an account with a company or website but they wont let us use the same number, total pain. Whoever is creating these methods seem to think everyone has their own cell phone not thinking that maybe spouses are sharing a cell phone, no need for us to have one each for example.

I find so far its mostly the US companies I deal with doing the text only verification, but its catching on in Canada now as well.
I also much prefer the email verification over text messages but even so both can be subject to a sim port attack where your SIM card is hacked and the thieves use your phone number to gain access to your financial accounts and email. I use gmail and the optional 2nd level verification on that is the Google authenticator, rather than a phone number.

https://medium.com/coinmonks/the-mos...k-35de11517124

https://www.psafe.com/en/blog/hacker...-phone-number/

This has been such a problem in the UK that banks are now compelled to introduce physical authentication tokens, or authentication apps rather than phone or mail authentication codes.

Last edited by durham_lad; Aug 30th 2019 at 9:15 am.