Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

United Airlines - Shocked.

Wikiposts

United Airlines - Shocked.

Old May 4th 2020, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

MtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond repute
Default United Airlines - Shocked.

Just received a full refund (to credit card) for the Europe trip at the end of this month. No fuss or hassle, just followed the instructions on their site and submitted the request 10 days ago.

Was expecting them to continue pushing the "flight credit" options.

Carl.
Old May 4th 2020, 5:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United Airlines - Shocked.

Interesting. ..... I believe, that as in the UK and Europe, if an airline cancels a flight they are legally required to refund the cost of the ticket.
Old May 4th 2020, 6:07 am
NM, not new, not Mexico!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Glad the content of your post was good, the title made my heart race as elder q boy is flying home on United on Wednesday. They have already moved him from the 18.00 take off to 10.25, messing up the plan for easy off peak travel from Swansea during the day. We don't need a showstopper at this point!
Old May 4th 2020, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

..... yes they most certainly are.

The DOT issued the following amendment recently, reminding airlines of their obligation to do so.

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...carrier-refund
Old May 4th 2020, 6:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
..... yes they most certainly are.

The DOT issued the following amendment recently, reminding airlines of their obligation to do so. .......
..... I have been resisting the airline's (BA) increasingly pushy offers to rebook our flights from 5/30/20, but stupidly all they have been offering is the less of 12 months from the date of the flight and 12 months from the date of purchase of the tickets, and we have absolutely no use for tickets to the UK to be used before mid-December 2020! I any case I am sceptical that we will be able to fly 12 months later (May 2021) either.
Old May 4th 2020, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

United refused a refund the first two times I called. Third time, after the D of T enforcement notice, they finally relented and paid a cash refund. Total time either waiting or dealing with agent & their supervisor ~4 hours. Now I have to repeat the process for another future flight on Delta that's just been cancelled.

Imo, never ever give in to the voucher bullshit if they've cancelled a flight.
Old May 4th 2020, 8:35 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
..... I have been resisting the airline's (BA) increasingly pushy offers to rebook our flights from 5/30/20, but stupidly all they have been offering is the less of 12 months from the date of the flight and 12 months from the date of purchase of the tickets, and we have absolutely no use for tickets to the UK to be used before mid-December 2020! I any case I am sceptical that we will be able to fly 12 months later (May 2021) either.
When I cancelled my return portion, Heathrow to Ottawa, April 6, they offered me a choice of a refund of a certain amount, or a credit of a larger amount, good for 24 months. I took the credit, since I thought 24 months was a useful amount of time.
Old May 5th 2020, 6:36 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Glad the content of your post was good, the title made my heart race as elder q boy is flying home on United on Wednesday. They have already moved him from the 18.00 take off to 10.25, messing up the plan for easy off peak travel from Swansea during the day. We don't need a showstopper at this point!
Fingers crossed for you/him.
Old May 7th 2020, 8:43 am
NM, not new, not Mexico!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

WillQ had a completely uneventful journey home from the UK to the USA yesterday, the only issue being that United moved him onto a morning flight, after cancelling the evening one that was carefully chosen to make his travel easy, leading to an uncomfortable overnight wait at Heathrow. There was one other passenger on each of his trains and only a few passengers on his flight from LHR to EWR, apparently there were more returning crew than pax. Immigration included an interview with CDC who gave him instructions to stay at home for 14 days and take his temperature twice a day, but the process was still record-breakingly fast so we were home in time for tea.
Old May 7th 2020, 10:05 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

WillQ had a completely uneventful journey home from the UK to the USA yesterday, the only issue being that United moved him onto a morning flight, after cancelling the evening one that was carefully chosen to make his travel easy, leading to an uncomfortable overnight wait at Heathrow. There was one other passenger on each of his trains and only a few passengers on his flight from LHR to EWR, apparently there were more returning crew than pax. Immigration included an interview with CDC who gave him instructions to stay at home for 14 days and take his temperature twice a day, but the process was still record-breakingly fast so we were home in time for tea.

You must be relieved to see him.

Old May 7th 2020, 8:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m very glad to hear that his trip was safe and went according to plan!

I am now thinking again of returning to the US. For me, I’d have to get a connecting flight to get nearer to home. In terms of the immigration interview, I wonder if they were querying passengers’ onward plans, such as onward flights? Because I certainly don’t want to have to stay at an airport hotel in Boston or N.Y. for 14 days!

I was originally thinking I could stay with my daughter in MA. But now her girlfriend is isolating at my daughter’s house, as she’s a nurse in a care home. So my preferred option is to get a connecting flight to northern N.Y....
Old May 8th 2020, 3:18 am
NM, not new, not Mexico!

Originally Posted by robin1234
I’m very glad to hear that his trip was safe and went according to plan!

I am now thinking again of returning to the US. For me, I’d have to get a connecting flight to get nearer to home. In terms of the immigration interview, I wonder if they were querying passengers’ onward plans, such as onward flights? Because I certainly don’t want to have to stay at an airport hotel in Boston or N.Y. for 14 days!

I was originally thinking I could stay with my daughter in MA. But now her girlfriend is isolating at my daughter’s house, as she’s a nurse in a care home. So my preferred option is to get a connecting flight to northern N.Y....
The interview was perfunctory, the CDC give a form to fill out asking recent travel history, country of residence, whether you have any covid-19 symptoms and where your ultimate destination is, then they take your temperature (IR on the forehead). If your temperature is in the normal range and you have no symptoms they give you a postcard with instructions and send you on your way to pass through immigration as usual. At the moment the planes are extremely empty, Will was in a zone on the plane designed to seat about 100 and there were just 6 passengers. Airports were also much emptier than usual so social distancing is quite feasible if not inevitable by the sheer lack of other travellers.
Old May 8th 2020, 3:25 am
Heading for Poppyland

The interview was perfunctory, the CDC give a form to fill out asking recent travel history, country of residence, whether you have any covid-19 symptoms and where your ultimate destination is, then they take your temperature (IR on the forehead). If your temperature is in the normal range and you have no symptoms they give you a postcard with instructions and send you on your way to pass through immigration as usual. At the moment the planes are extremely empty, Will was in a zone on the plane designed to seat about 100 and there were just 6 passengers. Airports were also much emptier than usual so social distancing is quite feasible if not inevitable by the sheer lack of other travellers.
Very useful information, thanks for that.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 2:29 pm
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute

You have to blame upper, middle and lower management for any of the short comings you might experience at United. If they have a job that requires 5 people to do properly, they'll put 4 on it.