Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

UK introducing 14 day quarantine

UK introducing 14 day quarantine

Old May 25th 2020, 5:53 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK introducing 14 day quarantine

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Tens of thousands? What alternate universe are you living in...
I dunno maybe the one in which they actually do the job. I am sure they do their job as the best they can but they must be constrained somehow?

I know illegal irish bartenders living in new york who have been their since as far back the USA world cup in 94. Still illegal for whatever reason. They fly around the country like they own the place and they have no fear that ICE agents will ever walk into their workplace even under Trump.

If we don't cruise to the USA we go flight via heathrow from Manchester airport and or take the train down to london euston and walk 200 yards however many yards to euston square station and take tube to paddington and over the to heathrow on the shuttle hotel for the night fly the next day. I have seen UK border agents outside Euston picking up people at random by doing "spot checks" on people walking past and catching people who seem nervous around them. And we have had our passports checked boarding internal flight from Manchester to Heathrow by UK border agency staff. It doesn't happen in America.

Last edited by andyrebell; May 25th 2020 at 6:11 pm.
Old May 25th 2020, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
I dunno maybe the one in which they actually do the job. I am sure they do their job as the best they can but they must be constrained somehow?

It doesn't happen in America.
I must be the unluckiest traveller in the United States then. In 2008 and 2009 on 2 x 3 week vacations my partner a Canadian citizen and myself a dual UK/Canadian citizen set off from Canada in a Canadian plated vehicle to visit Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. In all 3 states we encountered several vehicle checkpoints conducted by Border Patrol Officers (not ICE). Some were just a glance at us in the vehicle and some were a couple of questions. Gee I wonder what they were checking for?
Old May 25th 2020, 6:24 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I know illegal irish bartenders living in new york who have been their since as far back the USA world cup in 94. Still illegal for whatever reason. They fly around the country like they own the place and they have no fear that ICE agents will ever walk into their workplace even under Trump.

If we don't cruise to the USA we go flight via heathrow from Manchester airport and or take the train down to london euston and walk 200 yards however many yards to euston square station and take tube to paddington and over the to heathrow on the shuttle hotel for the night fly the next day. I have seen UK border agents outside Euston picking up people at random by doing "spot checks" on people walking past and catching people who seem nervous around them. And we have had our passports checked boarding internal flight from Manchester to Heathrow by UK border agency staff. It doesn't happen in America.
You've been asked told not to post in the immigration forum because you don't know your arse from your elbow.
The tone of your posts is objectionable and the content is ignorant.

Old May 25th 2020, 6:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I know illegal irish bartenders living in new york who have been their since as far back the USA world cup in 94. Still illegal for whatever reason. They fly around the country like they own the place.

If we don't cruise to the USA we go flight via heathrow from Manchester airport and or take the train down to london euston and walk 200 yards however many yards to Euston Square station and take tube to Paddington and over the to Heathrow on the shuttle hotel for the night fly the next day. I have seen UK border agents outside Euston picking up people at random by doing "spot checks" on people walking past and catching people who seem nervous around them. And we have had our passports checked boarding internal flight from Manchester to Heathrow by UK border agency staff. It doesn't happen in America.
What doesn't happen in America?

Most Americans don't have passports, and I'll guarantee that 99.9% of those who do have a passport, don't carry them around all the time even if they are flying within the US because .....

US drivers licenses act as a de facto ID cards (especially the Real ID ones now being issued).

Drivers licenses are pretty much required to board an aircraft, or alternatively you'll need some other ID document, such as a passport or green card.

US Border Patrol have free reign to set up check points within 100 miles of the border with Mexico.

Police and Sheriffs can and do set up random checkpoints for who knows what reason - they never tell you, but ask for your license, and sometimes insurance, and typically ask casual questions while another cop inspects the registration plate. I get stopped at a checkpoint about every 2-3 years on average. I am never sure if it is just a random checkpoint for the officers to occupy themselves or if they are looking for someone or something specific - I suspect that it is some of each.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 25th 2020 at 6:50 pm.
Old May 25th 2020, 6:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
You've been asked told not to post in the immigration forum because you don't know your arse from your elbow.

Doesn't he remind you of those old commercials, where someone expounded some kind of pseudo "knowledge" and the recipient of this lore asks, "Ooh, are you a doctor/lawyer/mathematician/whatever?" and gets the response, "No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night." Mr. Rebel spent five minutes in NY chatting to Irish bartenders and attained instant expertise on all things American.
Old May 25th 2020, 6:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't he remind you of those old commercials, where someone expounded some kind of pseudo "knowledge" and the recipient of this lore asks, "Ooh, are you a doctor/lawyer/mathematician/whatever?" and gets the response, "No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night." Mr. Rebel spent five minutes in NY chatting to Irish bartenders and attained instant expertise on all things American.
You seem to have underestimated the amount of knowledge and insight of the world around you that you can glean from reading the Daily Express.
Old May 25th 2020, 6:50 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care if people live in illegally in America or not though I think the future of longer term illegals that I know is dire in that can't go on forever. That is not my business but it doesn't change the fact that they say there are 12 million i even heard 15 million illegals as figure in USA. That is a quarter of the UK population in terms of numbers. There is no solution to this. They will never be an amnesty nor mass removals. And now America is facing unemployment in the tens of millions including the illegals who also lost their jobs in many cases or their jobs on hold like the rest of the people. You have a president whose hopes for re-election hinge on praying he gets the decision to reopen the borders correct and putting as many back into work as he can with the true fact that no president survives a recession.
Old May 25th 2020, 6:58 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I am kind of hoping for a "corridor" between the USA and UK. I've been on my own for the best of 3 months now and was hoping to go back to the UK for a break and some company in the summer. As it stands, that is a non-starter. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily visit my very elderly dad, it would be nice to see the folks.
Right now, I'm looking at a very long, very hot Texas summer.
Old May 25th 2020, 7:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

But they were Irish bartenders who fly around the country like they own the place, so they were special Irish bartenders.

A bit off track I know, but I wonder what sort of mannerisms and behaviours are displayed by Irish bartenders who fly around the country like they own the place that actually lead onlookers to arrive at the conclusion that they're Irish bartenders flying around the country like they own the place?

I mean, surely they wouldn't just introduce themselves as 'Hi I'm Sean, an Irish bartender who flies around the country like I own the place'. So I wonder what it is they do or say which gives them away?

Old May 25th 2020, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What doesn't happen in America?

Most Americans don't have passports, and I'll guarantee that 99.9% of those who do have a passport, don't carry them around all the time even if they are flying within the US because .....

US drivers licenses act as a de facto ID cards (especially the Real ID ones now being issued).

Drivers licenses are pretty much required to board an aircraft, or alternatively you'll need some other ID document, such as a passport or green card.

US Border Patrol have free reign to set up check points within 100 miles of the border with Mexico.

Police and Sheriffs can and do set up random checkpoints for who knows what reason - they never tell you, but ask for your license, and sometimes insurance, and typically ask casual questions while another cop inspects the registration plate. I get stopped at a checkpoint about every 2-3 years on average. I am never sure if it is just a random checkpoint for the officers to occupy themselves or if they are looking for someone or something specific - I suspect that it is some of each.
I can say I have never carried around my passport in the US, the only time it ever came out when I was living in the US was if I was flying/going to another country and needed it. Just an unnecessary thing to carry around if travelling domestically and serves no real purpose.

I can also say in my years of checking passengers in for flights, only ones who ever presented passports were the ones flying to another country, otherwise it was always drivers licenses.

US Border Patrol check points I am used to as they are all over So. California, but never really encountered random check points set up by local police, maybe its more common in southern states?

Old May 25th 2020, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
But they were Irish bartenders who fly around the country like they own the place, so they were special Irish bartenders.
So I wonder what it is they do or say which gives them away?
It's the leprechaun dress sense and the Top Of the Morning greeting.
Old May 25th 2020, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I am kind of hoping for a "corridor" between the USA and UK. I've been on my own for the best of 3 months now and was hoping to go back to the UK for a break and some company in the summer. As it stands, that is a non-starter. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily visit my very elderly dad, it would be nice to see the folks.
yes it would be nice to visit family and friends in the UK, but the thought of a long flight puts me right off. The best we can hope for IMO until well into 2021 is a road trip.
Old May 25th 2020, 9:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathize. I haven't seen my son since Christmas (he was supposed to be here for his Easter break, and couldn't obv) and I have no idea when I will be able to see him. It may be next Christmas for all I know.
Old May 25th 2020, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I sympathize. I haven't seen my son since Christmas (he was supposed to be here for his Easter break, and couldn't obv) and I have no idea when I will be able to see him. It may be next Christmas for all I know.
I'm sorry to hear that, it's tough being apart when you don't even know when you will be able to get back together. I haven't seen my mother since Christmas 2018, and we had tickets to travel at the end of this week, but those were canceled with no immediate prospect of rebooking. I am not entirely convinced that we will be traveling even 12 months from now, and even though she is in good health, my mother is of an age where I may not see her again even if she manages to stay clear of covid-19.
Old May 26th 2020, 4:17 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm sorry to hear that, it's tough being apart when you don't even know when you will be able to get back together. I haven't seen my mother since Christmas 2018, and we had tickets to travel at the end of this week, but those were canceled with no immediate prospect of rebooking. I am not entirely convinced that we will be traveling even 12 months from now, and even though she is in good health, my mother is of an age where I may not see her again even if she manages to stay clear of covid-19.
Stinks, doesn't it. I was going to go this summer since he wanted to work there over the summer, and early October for his 21st birthday, but not only is there virus with the job layoff that wouldn't be affordable anyway unless some miracle occurs quickly. I do think they will have to open up some sort of air travel or all the airlines will all go bust, but whether you consider it safe to fly to see an elderly parent is another matter. I hope it works out for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.