UK car rental

Old Apr 11th 2016, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK car rental

I know there are a few frequent travellers here, do any of you have useful advice for UK car rental? I know most of the useful tips for renting in the US, but I'm finding it harder to get decent rates for the UK.

I've mentioned elsewhere that we've booked a 12-day trip back to the UK this August. This trip, we're going to want to rent a car. Unfortunately, our requirements are not very flexible:
- There are five of us. In the US, we usually book an Explorer, and the nearest equivalent would be a large MPV, though a large estate/station wagon might work
- We want an automatic
- We want to do one-way, with pick up at Heathrow and drop off in Chester (probably) after 8 days (followed by several days of train travel or no travel). That seems to restrict the options to Enterprise, Europcar and Hertz.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 11th 2016, 7:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car rental

Chester

Try carrentals.com. Pay using an AMEX card...for less than $30 take out their car insurance. We rented from Hertz via carrentals.com at Heathrow and dropped it in Chehsire.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Chester

Try carrentals.com. Pay using an AMEX card...for less than $30 take out their car insurance. We rented from Hertz via carrentals.com at Heathrow and dropped it in Chehsire.
You used to have to enable the AMEX cover prior to renting the car and it was automatically charged to the card when you paid for the rental. It has been a long time since I used my AMEX for car rental and it may vary on the type of AMEX card. At the time I did it AMEX charged an extra $10 on the rental.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
I know there are a few frequent travellers here, do any of you have useful advice for UK car rental? I know most of the useful tips for renting in the US, but I'm finding it harder to get decent rates for the UK.

I've mentioned elsewhere that we've booked a 12-day trip back to the UK this August. This trip, we're going to want to rent a car. Unfortunately, our requirements are not very flexible:
- There are five of us. In the US, we usually book an Explorer, and the nearest equivalent would be a large MPV, though a large estate/station wagon might work
- We want an automatic
- We want to do one-way, with pick up at Heathrow and drop off in Chester (probably) after 8 days (followed by several days of train travel or no travel). That seems to restrict the options to Enterprise, Europcar and Hertz.

Any ideas?
I used 121carhire last year. Rented a small 7 seater (Citroen) , for 4 adults and a kid. I have one way rental from LHR to BHX and cost £415. The rental was a budget/avis vehicle. That was the larget car they had. We met someene on our trip that rented a VW 9 seater , but that was around £900 for 2 weeks.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 12:02 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You used to have to enable the AMEX cover prior to renting the car and it was automatically charged to the card when you paid for the rental. It has been a long time since I used my AMEX for car rental and it may vary on the type of AMEX card. At the time I did it AMEX charged an extra $10 on the rental.
Still applies, but maybe closer to $25 per rental from memory.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I found this interesting article about using credit cards for rental insurance.
Don't always refuse rental car insurance coverage; credit card protections become iffy
I paid an extra $30 on my travel insurance for rental car cover with $50 deductible taking the view if it's free you might get what you pay for. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has claimed off their credit card for rental car damage.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thanks all. That was helpful.

The problem with most of the collator websites is that it's impossible to differentiate between manual and automatic. Checking 121carhire did make me realise that I could use Thrifty too, as long as I went through the UK site. So far, our best bet seems to be a premium or luxury estate from them, but I'd like to find some sort of coupon code to reduce the price further.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I did request an automatic in the UK, but when I got there I had the option of a manual or waiting till the morning for the possibility an automatic may be available.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 8:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thanks all. That was helpful.

The problem with most of the collator websites is that it's impossible to differentiate between manual and automatic. Checking 121carhire did make me realise that I could use Thrifty too, as long as I went through the UK site. So far, our best bet seems to be a premium or luxury estate from them, but I'd like to find some sort of coupon code to reduce the price further.
Take a cab or train ride to somewhere away from LHR to pick up your vehicle - the mark-ups at LHR are insane - over 12 days the cost of the rental (car, "similar to" a Passat) in Gloucester was about £20 less per day.

If you took the train to Chester and rented from there you could avoid the one-way rental premium, and probably rent for one fewer days too.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Train tickets can cost a fortune for 4 adults. I did also find that most of the one way rentals were cheaper for airport drop offs. Some companies wanted an extra £100 for one way
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Train tickets can cost a fortune for 4 adults. ....
They can, but booked well ahead of time for a specific date and time, which would be known because of the booked flight, and for an off-peak time, trains can still be remarkably affordable. A train journey can also be a nice add-on "experience" for children visiting from the US.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Take a cab or train ride to somewhere away from LHR to pick up your vehicle - the mark-ups at LHR are insane - over 12 days the cost of the rental (car, "similar to" a Passat) in Gloucester was about £20 less per day.

If you took the train to Chester and rented from there you could avoid the one-way rental premium, and probably rent for one fewer days too.
That's good advice, and something we've done before elsewhere, but I don't think it would work well here, partly for logistic reasons, and partly because of the risk of not getting a suitable car from a regional car hire office.

The UK is in many ways not set up well to do this - there aren't many rental locations near to Heathrow, plus more often than not, regional locations are on an industrial park on the ring road, rather than a site near the station.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:58 pm

That's good advice, and something we've done before elsewhere, but I don't think it would work well here, partly for logistic reasons, and partly because of the risk of not getting a suitable car from a regional car hire office. ....
They pretty much have to offer you something as big or bigger if they don't have the contracted vehicle class, and all the larger vehicles seem to be autos anyway when I have been looking. Still, I understand your angst if it absolutely has to be an automatic.
... The UK is in many ways not set up well to do this - there aren't many rental locations near to Heathrow, plus more often than not, regional locations are on an industrial park on the ring road, rather than a site near the station.
Enterprise - They'll pick you up.™ ..... I was offered a free drop-off at the end of my rental without even asking - Enterprise had the best rate and it hadn't occured to me to use the free pick-up/ drop-off feature. ..... Even without that, a £10 cab ride could still save you a packet.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 12th 2016 at 10:03 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

redgiant is an unknown quantity at this point

I rent in the UK about 4 times a year when I fly back and I find the USD quotes tend to be a lot higher than the GBP quotes. I am flying back next week and I have a weeks hire from Heathrow for 80 pounds for a class D (large compact/standard) car. That's with Enterprise too BTW.

I have 3rd party excess cover costing about $50 a year so putting the rental on my US AMEX isn't necessary.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by redgiant
I rent in the UK about 4 times a year when I fly back and I find the USD quotes tend to be a lot higher than the GBP quotes. I am flying back next week and I have a weeks hire from Heathrow for 80 pounds for a class D (large compact/standard) car. That's with Enterprise too BTW. .....
Please can you share your source, because across numerous well known and not-so-well-known web sites I, and others, have consistently found USD rates to match, or be cheaper than GBP rates. .... I also find renting through a travel site to be much cheaper than renting direct, even from Hertz, where I am a Gold Club member.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.