UHT/Longlife Milk?

Old Feb 19th 2015, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default UHT/Longlife Milk?

Ok yes, I know it's disgusting but can you actually buy it here in the US. I've not seen it any of my major local supermarkets.

I like to have a couple of cartons of UHT cream handy. I almost never use cream in cooking but you can guarantee that when I need it, I won't have it.

Creamily yours,

Sherbert (Dip).
Old Feb 19th 2015, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UHT/Longlife Milk?

Pretty sure you can - but I'm not sure it's called UHT milk. I thought it was usually near the tea/coffee aisle - near the creamers maybe.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 11:47 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Parmalat
Old Feb 20th 2015, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

When the world’s foremost UHT milk processor, Parmalat, first introduced UHT milk to the U.S. market back in 1993, they hit a snag. Americans distrust milk that hasn’t been refrigerated. We like our milk cold, and UHT milk doesn’t need to be refrigerated.

So, milk producers got creative. They could extend the shelf life of their product and not advertise that they were doing it. They’d sell the milk in normal packaging, in the refrigerator aisle, and none of us would be the wiser.

Now, almost all of the organic milk and the majority of conventional milk available in U.S. supermarkets is UHT processed.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/just-say-no-to-uht-milk/
Old Feb 20th 2015, 12:37 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I always keep a few carton of Parmalat in the cupboard. I can find it in any of the larger supermarkets I patronize. Sometimes you do have to ask the staff where it's located... and sometimes they don't understand what it is--even though they work there.

As Geoff says, it's often near the coffee/tea/dry creamers. I've also found it in the baking section with the powdered milks. It's great to have on hand if you run out of fresh milk. Or if your power goes out. Or for camping. And I can't tell the difference in taste from fresh....
Old Feb 20th 2015, 4:44 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I always keep a few carton of Parmalat in the cupboard. I can find it in any of the larger supermarkets I patronize. Sometimes you do have to ask the staff where it's located... and sometimes they don't understand what it is--even though they work there.

As Geoff says, it's often near the coffee/tea/dry creamers. I've also found it in the baking section with the powdered milks. It's great to have on hand if you run out of fresh milk. Or if your power goes out. Or for camping. And I can't tell the difference in taste from fresh....
I have to admit I only remember buying it once, when I first arrived, for some recipe I think, and not being able to find "long life" milk. My research turned it up, and the brand name came to me as soon as I read the OP. I think I found it in the baking section in the local supermarket. I now see that Walmart is out of stock per my link!

I was going to reply earlier but I had a power outage. Only an hour so -I didn't need the stuff.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
When the world’s foremost UHT milk processor, Parmalat, first introduced UHT milk to the U.S. market back in 1993, they hit a snag. Americans distrust milk that hasn’t been refrigerated. We like our milk cold, and UHT milk doesn’t need to be refrigerated.

So, milk producers got creative. They could extend the shelf life of their product and not advertise that they were doing it. They’d sell the milk in normal packaging, in the refrigerator aisle, and none of us would be the wiser.

Now, almost all of the organic milk and the majority of conventional milk available in U.S. supermarkets is UHT processed.

WOW WOW WOW! This explains why the occasional carton of milk I buy and use very occasionally for coffee lasts FOREVER. I was telling everyone how wonderfully my giant fridge regulated the temperature...
Old Feb 20th 2015, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Asked someone if they had any quiches the other day. The woman had NO idea what a one was.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 6:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the in's and out's of milk, but I do know the milk in the tetra packs that can be stored at room temp is the most vile beverage I have ever tasted, even cold it was gross.

Tasted nothing like the milk kept in plastic jugs and paper cartons in the fridge section, I cannot imagine the cold milk being the same, it tastes nothing like the room temp milk.

Its pricey as well, 1 liter of that stuff is just under 4 dollars, 50 cents more you can get 4 liters of normal milk.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 6:27 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you. UHT milk is the norm throughout Europe.

Yes we can buy fresh milk in a few select shops, but it's very expensive. Sure is a lot better tasting though.

(envious)
Old Feb 20th 2015, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes my OH who hails from southern Europe pretty much never tasted 'normal' milk until he moved northwards. He swears he can't taste the difference between them though which is really surprising because I can tell which is which just by smelling them.

Can't taste the difference with UHT cream but then again, I just use it as a base for sauces really.

Spare a thought for my friend who lives in Papua New Guinea. Her husband is Dutch farm boy who throws a paddy if he can't have his glass of milk every day. They pay US$28 for half a litre of fresh milk. And no, that is not a typo. It gets flown in daily from Australia...IN.SANE.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 6:43 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Lucky you. UHT milk is the norm throughout Europe.

Yes we can buy fresh milk in a few select shops,

(envious)
Not so in Italy. I can get fresh whole milk or semi-skimmed milk in any supermarket and also the little village shops. It's not cheap at an average price of 1.20 euro per litre, but it beats the crap out of that UHT shite. That longlife stuff is just abut drinkable when you're desperate for a cup of tea and you only need a drop of it. On breakfast cereals it stinks.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 7:10 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Not so in Italy. I can get fresh whole milk or semi-skimmed milk in any supermarket and also the little village shops. It's not cheap at an average price of 1.20 euro per litre, but it beats the crap out of that UHT shite. That longlife stuff is just abut drinkable when you're desperate for a cup of tea and you only need a drop of it. On breakfast cereals it stinks.
Fair enough.

Yet I would suspect that like here and Germany and all over, that in the "milk" aisle, it's all UHT - and a big stock of it. "fresh" milk is likely to be sold in a small section in the refrigerated area?

€1.20 per litre for fresh milk? That's cheap. UHT sells for 60 cents per litre here. If it has a recloseable cap, 80c to €1. When you can get it, fresh milk is usually well over €2 here.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 1:31 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael

Interesting! It's true that American so-called "fresh" milk (sold in the chiller cabinet) hardly ever seems to go off....

Does this mean I can store it in my cupboard until it's opened?
Old Feb 20th 2015, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Fair enough.

Yet I would suspect that like here and Germany and all over, that in the "milk" aisle, it's all UHT - and a big stock of it. "fresh" milk is likely to be sold in a small section in the refrigerated area?

€1.20 per litre for fresh milk? That's cheap. UHT sells for 60 cents per litre here. If it has a recloseable cap, 80c to €1. When you can get it, fresh milk is usually well over €2 here.

Not sure that I have ever seen the 'milk aisle'.

In Denmark I only ever came across the refrigerated area. I wasn't a small section. In fact similar to in the US, a large section with many different grades of milk, yoghurts, chilled desserts etc. Pretty much a refrigerated aisle of 'dairy' products.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.