Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Old Feb 2nd 2020, 12:08 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by carcajou
No. They can't ban a US citizen from entering the US. As the earlier poster said US Citizens are being quarantined for 14 days but they can't deny entry.

A no-fly list means you can't get on a plane. They can't stop you from passing through immigration. Yes some Americans are on it if suspected of terrorist connections - and sometimes massive stuff-ups happen. When Ted Kennedy was still a Senator he got on it once and got blocked at an airport and had to call the Director of Homeland Security directly.
I remember the thing with Ted Kennedy at Boston. Aren't there a couple of americans on that now fly list who were overseas when the list hit them and they had no way to get back home.

Last edited by andyrebell; Feb 2nd 2020 at 12:13 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by andyrebell
I remember the thing with Ted Kennedy at Boston. Aren't there a couple of americans on that now fly list who were overseas when the list hit them and they had no way to get back home.
The no fly list is unreliable. Which is why when it was floated in government to be used as a way to ban firearm purchases it was protested.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 2:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but I also say, please thank you and excuse me or get out the bloody way

We never had the option much beyond learning Spanish, German or French. I think the same is true today in the English Cirriculum in the secondary schools. I think unless you are an expat kid or private school kid then maybe you have a few more learning options. If not I think it is just those 3.

My small local high school certainly offers Mandarin (and even had an exchange teacher from China a few years ago). They also teach spelling . . .
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 2:59 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but I also say, please thank you and excuse me or get out the bloody way

We never had the option much beyond learning Spanish, German or French. I think the same is true today in the English Cirriculum in the secondary schools. I think unless you are an expat kid or private school kid then maybe you have a few more learning options. If not I think it is just those 3.
my goodness what a chip on thatshoulder of yours!
my 3 kids have been only to state schools and state universities.
languages they have been taught :
Occitan ( look it up)
French, German, Spanish, CHINESE, Japanese, Arabic.

anyway, if you are at all interested in tracking the outbreaks - https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Feb 2nd 2020 at 4:15 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 4:49 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
my goodness what a chip on thatshoulder of yours!
my 3 kids have been only to state schools and state universities.
languages they have been taught :
Occitan ( look it up)
French, German, Spanish, CHINESE, Japanese, Arabic.

anyway, if you are at all interested in tracking the outbreaks - https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
My English education and kids education today to my knowledge for Foreign language in public or state school is Spanish, German, French maybe Italian. Perhaps the english public schooling is behind the times in some respects.

We have the first death outside China. The mortality rate continues to drop. Soon it will be less than 1%

Last edited by andyrebell; Feb 2nd 2020 at 4:52 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have the first death outside China. The mortality rate continues to drop. Soon it will be less than 1%
Not really surprising as the victim left the province of Wuhan recently and is understood to have already contracted the viruy before leaving.....

But of media sensationalism.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 6:40 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

They native Chinese who don't speak english worth a damn are rude and arrogant and they will travel whether they are sick or not. They do not care.
There is definitely a rotten strata of the nouveau riche Chinese middle class who are to almost everyone else's cultural view, rude and gauche. However they are a minority, they are rude and bullying to working and peasant Chinese in China. They have money so are the social group that many outside of China come in to contact with. If you think they represent all Chinese then you only have your narrow world experience and ignorance to blame.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Airlines flying into the US have to supply the passenger manifest prior to departure which includes names, a citizenship/passport info, presumably any person departing China with a non-US passport will not be permitted to even board. Nothing to do with no-fly list that is completely separate.

It gets a little trickier if someone goes from China to 3rd country then to the US and buys separate tickets not on the same itinerary, say going China to middle east on one ticket, stay a few days, do some shopping, then continue onto the US with a new ticket and itinerary not connected to the previous one but the China passport stamp will still be there, and yes even in this day and age of automated kiosks, officers still flip through passports at times looking to see what stamps you may have.

If I recall airlines provide the passenger list for US bound flights 12 or 24 hours prior to departure and then update it closer to departure with final passenger info, so the US knows in advance who is on US bound flights and their passport information.

Old Feb 2nd 2020, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
There is definitely a rotten strata of the nouveau riche Chinese middle class who are to almost everyone else's cultural view, rude and gauche. However they are a minority, they are rude and bullying to working and peasant Chinese in China. They have money so are the social group that many outside of China come in to contact with. If you think they represent all Chinese then you only have your narrow world experience and ignorance to blame.
This is pretty obvious in Vancouver area, there is a distinct difference between the previous wave of Chinese immigrants vs the most recent wealthy wave.

But really has more to do with wealth and less to do with where the person is from, West Vancouver is mostly white rich people and its one of the rudest places you can visit in the area, they even fight public transit as it will bring poor people to the area of course they word it in a way where it sounds better, but reality is they want to limit access to their area and see transit as a poor persons mode of transport.

Old Feb 2nd 2020, 10:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry JS, messed up the formatting so have had to delete your quote that I was replying to.

I wonder what would happen to a passenger trying to get into the US via a new ticket from a 3rd country and was found out by a border officer? Medical isolation? Arrest, detention? Bung them on a plane back to the 3rd country - but since the policy's been made to protect US citizens and permanent residents, the passenger could be considered a risk to others on the outbound flight? I'm just musing here, I have no idea what action would be taken
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 10:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. My children are at a 'normal' state secondary school in England and are learning Mandarin.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 3rd 2020 at 11:00 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 10:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Feb 3rd 2020, 2:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Nope. My children are at a 'normal' state secondary school in England and are learning Mandarin.
Well it is all changed since the days of me and mine.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well it is all changed since the days of me and mine.
Well, yes, that does tend to happen. My kids secondary education is incredibly different from mine 30 or so years ago, I certainly never got to do half the things they do. Things change and the world moves on (thankfully).
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 3:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
A family friend had spent a number of years in Kenya doing PhD studies, and spoke fluent Swahili; as is relevant to the story, he was white-British and also rather portly. After he returned to London, he was traveling one day on the Underground when two black men sitting nearby proceeded to make rude comments about his weight, between themselves, in Swahili. When the friend reached his destination he stood up and told the two men that it had been a pleasure traveling with them - in Swahili. The friend reported that the look on their faces was memorable.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 3rd 2020 at 5:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.